Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #21

My leak was so bad that it warped the entertainment center I have in the front "bunk area". Had to wait almost 2 months for the dealer to get replacement wood from the factory and install it. The dealer was finally able to find the leak in the joint between the roof and front cap.

But, just to be sure, after my warantee expired, I took the coach to my favorite repair shop that is the highest rated RV repair place in Southern California. The owner took me on a tour of his yard and there were 2 other Sunseekers, 1 Forester and 4 towables from FR. He said they all had the same problem with leaks in the seam. And, he added, he's made a great living on leaky FR products.

The solution they use at their shop is to place a 6" wide strip of eternabond tape over the seam and throughly seal the edges of the tape. He says I should bring it in every 2 years to have the seam inspected.

We've had some wild and wet weather in Southern California and my coach has stayed completely dry.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #22

I used Eternabond tape on all seams on my roof and will be doing this to every RV I ever own. Clean your roof well and put this stuff down and you should never have a leak. The one place I need to check yet is at the marker lights along the fiberglass front cap. My brother had a leak around those and I need to make sure mine are sealed up tight. Other than that, I feel pretty good that I should never have water come in from the roof.

https://youtu.be/W60Uy5C1rtk
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #23
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
You really need to get on the roof to inspect. I had a mystery leak on my coach (in fact - several), the most likely place for the over-cab is the roof joint from the fiberglass roof to the fiberglass cap.

My leaks were hard to find. I found them after pressurizing the coach and checking all around with soap/bubble solution. I found a small pinhole in the sealant at both front corners by the gutters.

Bobby

I showed my husband all your bubbly photos on another post and we are both losing sleep. Can one ever fix these or is the love affair over????

We bought our Sunseeker new last May. We took off for a long weekend and water dumped all over out the sun visors and sunglass/map holders. We had to take it to the shop and rent a cabin instead. Paying for MH, storage, and repairs, I imagine, and hotel rooms.

The service manager says "that's where they usually leak" and wants our every 90 day roof inspection receipts?!?!?! That we didn't know about at all.

AND, the generator runs rough and quits, the house batteries won't stay charged. I am SICK about this. It's so beautiful and seems like it could be fun, and has been a fair amount of trouble. I
It was in the shop 2 solid months for PDI fixes. We missed out on much of the first summer. I feel like I've adopted a pit bull. And it might bite me.

If we keep it I might have a large lemon sticker, as big as will fit over the back, and have it professionally installed.

My husband says I am over reacting a little. But he is very unhappy with the quality of the tire stems, and on and on.$$$$...
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 PM   #24
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Hey, I found this on youtube

it's long but he is apparently a commercial roof sealer and recommends using commercial sealers and caulk.

this one brings it on home more quickly
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak