Old 09-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #11

Agree. $70 seems expensive. I say that given the system overall. It's just 1 more thing to update, slower to boot up (IMHO at least), one more thing to learn that's not that intuitive (again, IMHO, compared to Garmin) & not really sure how it would interplay with the DVD function (we play movies for the kids when driving most of the time).

For those reasons, I generally just bring my Garmin. Several years ago I paid (actually my company did) for updates 4 times per year for the life of the device. I do those quarterly like clockwork since I travel for work a lot.

The other option, & I've used it as a backup in the RV, is the always free / always updated iPhone Google Maps app.

Little off topic: My wife drives an '04 Honda Odyssey. When we got it, I insisted upon GPS in it as we relocate for work rather often, especially back then. I think it was a $2,000 MSRP option. If I had to replace that car right now, I can't imagine paying a dime for a factory in-dash GPS system. There's just too many other options out there including Garmin, iPhone Google Maps, etc. Almost surprised that GPS is in RV's. As for me, I'd rather FR reduced by price by any amount & remove the GPS function (suggestion for BCLEMENS).

Old 09-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Love My Sunseeker

My biggest complaint about the MagnaDyne is it's way too complex. I'm pretty technilogically literate, but it's way too complex.

Also, the MagnaDyne feeds my front and rear TV. Ok, this might be laziness, but if I'm watching a DVD on the rear, if I want to "see that last scene again" I have to get up and walk up to the front and fuss with it. (Ok, go ahead and play your violins.....)

And I agree, paying that much for updates is crap. We should have gotten free updates for a year.

Oh yeah. IS that what the "pigtail" is for that is hanging from the MagnaDyne? I've got a PIGTAIL with a large USB thingie hanging from the dashboard.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Oh yeah. IS that what the "pigtail" is for that is hanging from the MagnaDyne? I've got a PIGTAIL with a large USB thingie hanging from the dashboard.
The SD card for navigation is a short pigtail in the rear of the unit. The longer "pigtail" that comes out the front is a 30 pin connector for an iPod to play music through the system.

On very new units the navigation SD card plugs in the front. Until recently that card slot was another way to add music to the system or even display pictures.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #14

I love my Sunseeker, but after playing with this for a long time, and downloading the large manual (that didn't come with it), I've also decided the GPS part isn't worth the effort. It does seem to control the whole AV system so I'm going to try and use it, but whoever decided to make them standard equipment sure never tried to use it. I'm going back to my own GPS like everyone else.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #15

$70.00 for 1 years worth of upgrades is outrageous.
I bought lifetime upgrades for my Garmin for only $89.00.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #16
GM

Part of the issues is licensing. We've asked for the Garmin RV version to be installed on new radios....but that will only happen if the radio mfg can get the licensing figured out.

Frankly its hard to beat an iPhone with GPS (or google maps for that matter). I think the POI's are way easier to find vie a connected phone with google search.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Agree. $70 seems expensive. I say that given the system overall. It's just 1 more thing to update, slower to boot up (IMHO at least), one more thing to learn that's not that intuitive (again, IMHO, compared to Garmin) & not really sure how it would interplay with the DVD function (we play movies for the kids when driving most of the time).

For those reasons, I generally just bring my Garmin. Several years ago I paid (actually my company did) for updates 4 times per year for the life of the device. I do those quarterly like clockwork since I travel for work a lot.

The other option, & I've used it as a backup in the RV, is the always free / always updated iPhone Google Maps app.

Little off topic: My wife drives an '04 Honda Odyssey. When we got it, I insisted upon GPS in it as we relocate for work rather often, especially back then. I think it was a $2,000 MSRP option. If I had to replace that car right now, I can't imagine paying a dime for a factory in-dash GPS system. There's just too many other options out there including Garmin, iPhone Google Maps, etc. Almost surprised that GPS is in RV's. As for me, I'd rather FR reduced by price by any amount & remove the GPS function (suggestion for BCLEMENS).
Same with the Toyota in-dash nav system. Expensive and useless.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #18

Little off topic:

Does these units play blueray..
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
Little off topic:

Does these units play blueray..
No.

I will probably need to figure out a solution for that at some point though. Pretty much every new movie we buy now is Blu-ray.

Although I walked into a Target store a couple weeks ago & picked up the following DVD's for less than $5 each: Airplane, Caddyshack, Coming to America, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Major League, Planes Trains & Automobiles, and Risky Business.
(sorry to go further off topic)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #20

Someone should make a direct replacement for this unit..Shame a new unit comes with sub standard equipment.

Tags
upgrade