Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
Commercial Member

It's an aftermarket radio....any radio could be a direct replacement. It's a double DIN unit. This just happens to be the ONLY dash radio we could find at the time that was 5.1 compliant. We tried using separate DVD players and none of them seemed to be mobile rated...so all the bouncing around created problems.

I guess I would need you to elaborate on "Sub standard".

Redhawk: radio only, no dvd or even CD, no GPS, no 5.1 surround, no bluetooth
Thor: CD only, no dvd, no gps, no 5.1 surround, no iPod connector
Winnie: CD only, no dvd, no gps, no 5.1 surround
Coachmen: Jensen radio & cd player. No dvd, no gps, no 5.1, no iPod dock

So I think it is beyond what other Class C's offer as standard. Is it "sub standard" to my Yamaha home theater receiver, PS3 Bluray player and tom tom navigation system? Probably.

You can easily add a Bluray player. All of our TV's have HDMI inputs.

I don't love the GPS format either...but just about every radio that we looked at offered iGo as the base map system. Take the GPS out of the equation and its still a better system then what other Class C's offer currently. If we could get Garmin RV maps in there, we would. Trying to get that licensed...no luck so far.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Love My Sunseeker

The part I hate is you cannot mute the radio while using the GPS. If I mute the radio, I mute the GPS. When I'm driving within a complicated city, like Albuquerque, NM, I need NO DISTRACTIONS! I need to be able to mute the radio but still have GPS sound. Can't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG View Post
I love my Sunseeker, but after playing with this for a long time, and downloading the large manual (that didn't come with it), I've also decided the GPS part isn't worth the effort. It does seem to control the whole AV system so I'm going to try and use it, but whoever decided to make them standard equipment sure never tried to use it. I'm going back to my own GPS like everyone else.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Pretty sure if your phone is paired and you're on bluetooth. You can just pause the music on your phone. GPS should come thought loud and clear without muting.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Love My Sunseeker

I bought some Blue Rays in Canada and they played really good! I started a thread asking if the system was Blue Ray, got no answers......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
Little off topic:

Does these units play blueray..

Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
It's an aftermarket radio....any radio could be a direct replacement. It's a double DIN unit. This just happens to be the ONLY dash radio we could find at the time that was 5.1 compliant. We tried using separate DVD players and none of them seemed to be mobile rated...so all the bouncing around created problems.

Oh, is that why the RV's don't come with TV/DVD combos any more? I've had those in my last three RV's, and each time the DVD part went POOF and I ended up having to buy separate DVD player anyway.........

Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #26
Love My Sunseeker

My phone is NOT paired, and I'm not using the bluetooth. I went through the manual, tried everything. Cannot mute the radio and still have the GPS sound.

Quote:
Pretty sure if your phone is paired and you're on bluetooth. You can just pause the music on your phone. GPS should come thought loud and clear without muting.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Yes...so pair your phone via Bluetooth. Play some music and when you get to a busy city, just "pause the music" on your phone. It will mute the music without muting the gps directions.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
Commercial Member

I haven't been able to find ANY Blu Ray capable in dash players yet.

Many of the new BluRay movies come with a Blue Ray disk, DVD disk and a digital version now.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
The part I hate is you cannot mute the radio while using the GPS. If I mute the radio, I mute the GPS. When I'm driving within a complicated city, like Albuquerque, NM, I need NO DISTRACTIONS! I need to be able to mute the radio but still have GPS sound. Can't do it.
DXSMac - have you tried the "work-around" from the Magnadyne M4 website FAQs?

M4-LCD Magnadyne Touch Screen GPS Navigation Car Stereo

"
Q3: How do I turn off the radio sound but still hear the navigation prompts
Answer:To turn off the radio sound and still hear the voice commands from the navigation system, select a source that is not being used such as AVin2 or USB. Touch the HOME button and select the new source. The main volume control on the unit’s fascia will adjust the navigation volume. "

I don't like the GPS talking to me - turn that feature off - so I haven't tried this out.

Hope this helps -

Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #30

I to don't like the radio on if using the GPS.
What I do is select the av1 input & not connect anything.
(ie:mp3 player)
Only the GPS directions come through.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #31

I too had the issue with radio noise (static mostly as I have a difficult time getting a good signal on the Magnadyne) while using the GPS. Now I do what the few posters above had said. That is, turn on an unused audio source such as USB or AV# and then go to GPS. Audio is silent except for GPS. It works.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #32

Used the Magnadyne in my Solera the last couple of days and it worked flawlessly. Found it was not difficult to set up. I had brought my Garmin along because of what I had read on the forum. The Magnadyne is fine as far as I am concerned. Updating might be a different matter.
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #33

Quote:

I guess I would need you to elaborate on "Sub standard".

Redhawk: radio only, no dvd or even CD, no GPS, no 5.1 surround, no bluetooth
Thor: CD only, no dvd, no gps, no 5.1 surround, no iPod connector
Winnie: CD only, no dvd, no gps, no 5.1 surround
Coachmen: Jensen radio & cd player. No dvd, no gps, no 5.1, no iPod dock

So I think it is beyond what other Class C's offer as standard. Is it "sub standard" to my Yamaha home theater receiver, PS3 Bluray player and tom tom navigation system? Probably.

You can easily add a Bluray player. All of our TV's have HDMI inputs.
Bravo Brian! I recently bought or Forester and compared many of the "standards" between FR and others. I found myself often wondering why the competition didn't have this or that after touring both Sunseekers and Foresters. I think your units try to have the latest technology and you all do the best you can with what is out there for the RV/12 volt industry.
I can go on and on with praises about amenities of the FR line compared to others makes. It may not always be perfect and simple but I give an "A" for effort.

While on the topic of the Jensen television available connectors; it's worth mentioning the VGA input too. Many off us bring laptops on trips and those can double as media players or use the TV as a super-size monitor.
I have laptop with HDMI output and a USB Blu-Ray to plug in if I really wanted hi-def experience.

For maps I use either my Garmin or my phone but I have used the Magnadyne GPS while the family enjoyed a DVD on the same. All worked well.

For those wanting something above the standard Magnadyne; Clarion, Pioneer, Pyle and others all make double din HD DVD players and some have GPS and sirius but as Brian mentioned, they are lacking on the 5.1. They also are up there in co$t.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #34
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Yes...so pair your phone via Bluetooth. Play some music and when you get to a busy city, just "pause the music" on your phone. It will mute the music without muting the gps directions.

Unacceptable. I should NOT have to do that. Do I have to have an I-Phone? I don't have an I-Phone. Just a regular cell phone. I don't think my cell phone plan allows that, I'll have to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
DXSMac - have you tried the "work-around" from the Magnadyne M4 website FAQs?

M4-LCD Magnadyne Touch Screen GPS Navigation Car Stereo

"
Q3: How do I turn off the radio sound but still hear the navigation prompts
Answer:To turn off the radio sound and still hear the voice commands from the navigation system, select a source that is not being used such as AVin2 or USB. Touch the HOME button and select the new source. The main volume control on the unit’s fascia will adjust the navigation volume. "

I don't like the GPS talking to me - turn that feature off - so I haven't tried this out.

Hope this helps -

Jim
This answer makes sense. I'll try this.

Tags
upgrade