Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

Gravity Fresh Water Fill Problem

I have a 2010 Sunseeker 2300, purchased new, and had no problems with the gravity fresh water fill for 2 years. Then started to have difficulty getting the water into the tank as most of the water was backflowing onto the ground even at a low water pressure, even when the tank is empty. Previously it had only backflowed when my tank was full, the way I'm sure it is intended. I also noticed when filling there is a small water drip on the wall on the inside of the coach at the location of the fresh water fill port (visible by flashlight through the access door under the bed).

I had it serviced at my dealer during my winterization last fall, hoping the problem would be solved. I just tried to fill my tank (for the first time this year) and the same problem exists, including the small water drip on the inside wall under the bed. I've tried adding water by using an additional piece of hose which fits further down the fill line and also tried using a funnel with bottled water -- neither solved the problem.

The following is what was written on my service ticket in the fall.

Gravity Fresh Water Fill won't allow smooth input of water like it's not venting.

Cause: inspected gravity fill line found that the fill and vent line are level with the vent and fill port on the tank under the bed which will not let the tank vent and fill properly done by the factory.

Correction: added support to the fill and vent line to help with filling and venting of the water tank

As far as I can tell the "support" was a stick that was added and tied with cable ties to the fill and vent line. It didn't solve the problem.

I'll be taking it in for service this week but hoping someone has thoughts as why this is happening, especially after having worked correctly for 2 years. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions that I can pass on to my service tech.
DeeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Sounds like its not venting. Since its just now happening, has the vent tube been blocked? or is it kinked at some point?

Could be the same for the fill, something is kinked or blocked.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

Thanks bc for your reply.

I just put a large "milkshake type" straw against the screened vent hole and blew into it as hard as I could. This caused some water to backflow from the fill line and it came out pretty quickly, like it was sitting close to the entry point of the fill tube. Do you think this experiment points to more of a problem with the fill tube instead of the vent line?

I will have both checked out. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

If you have water in your vent and your filling the fill tube you need to blow out the vent. When the vent as water it isn't venting.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
rip

This won't solve the problem but may help trouble-shoot. Try opening the fresh-water tank drain, then use your fill tube to fill your empty tank with the drain still open. If incoming water doesn't start coming out the drain, suspect a blocked or misconnected fill tube.

Even though you tried filling an empty tank before, the open drain should act like a second pressure relief like the vent.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
This won't solve the problem but may help trouble-shoot. Try opening the fresh-water tank drain, then use your fill tube to fill your empty tank with the drain still open. If incoming water doesn't start coming out the drain, suspect a blocked or misconnected fill tube.

Even though you tried filling an empty tank before, the open drain should act like a second pressure relief like the vent.
Did as rip suggested and the incoming water did come out the drain. I didn't have any backflow at a very low pressure(with drain open) but did have some as I increased the flow, with again a water drip on the inside wall.

When I closed the drain, the same as above occurred i.e. no backflow at a very low pressure but some as I increased flow. But it is definitely better than before. Now most of the water is getting into the tank, even if I have to use low pressure to get it there.

I also ran a TV cable (only thing I had handy) down the water fill port to check for any obstructions but couldn't find any. I realize I could have also pushed any obstruction deeper .

The RV is now at my dealer, armed with all my observations and your suggestions. Thanks everyone for the help. I'll report back when I hear something but I told them not to hurry with service since others may need their RV for the upcoming holiday and I don't.

Thanks again!
Dee
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeRV View Post
... again a water drip on the inside wall... I'll report back when I hear something
The "water drip on the inside wall" has to be some kind of clue, but it's past me.

I was expecting you not to pass water easily to the open drain, most likely meaning a simple obstruction or kinked tube, but your cable probe seemed to pass ok and the water passed to the open drain.

When you mentioned blowing out water in the vent tube, I was thinking maybe it's lower intake somehow twisted to the bottom so it wasn't breathing right, unlikely to happen suddenly.

This is a good puzzle about flowing and venting and possible obstruction. Curious about your next report, good luck, sorry I didn't help.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

rip, you did help. You gave me one more observation to give to my service manager. There were times yesterday that I couldn't get much water down the fill without the backflow and after I did what you instructed the flow was much better.

I was tempted to take off the board under the corner bed mattress so I could see the entire fill line and vent line to check for kinks or obstructions but thought it best to leave that for the professionals . I can see most of the lines from the access panel and nothing looks out of place. I'm thinking the small water drip has something to do with the clamp that is holding the fill tube to the port. Maybe that needs an adjustment and is unrelated to the backflow problem. It may be something I've always had and never noticed before because I usually don't look through the access panel with a flashlight during a water fill. I will going forward....

rip, thanks again for your help. I'll report back the minute I know more.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Commercial Member

If its a small drip, there may be a nick in the fill tube. Normally that wouldn't matter much, since the water passes through there so quickly...but since your getting backflow...the water is filling the tube and is more likely to leak with resting water.

I just wonder if there is somehow a rise in the fill line...so the water is traveling uphill.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote