Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Gray Water Vent Question

Teaman here.

Anybody know how Sunseeker 2300 graywater tank vent plumbing is fashioned?
I have a 2013 class C since August that has some kind of peculiar odor problem with the graywater tank. Got up on the roof to check vent pipes, was checking that I might order a couple those weather vane vent caps or something. I discovered that the Sunseeker 2300 I have only has one vent pipe thru the roof. Strange.

Need info on where the gray tank vents are.

Problem was odors inside coach immediately after taking a shower if the gray tank valve is in the closed position. I discovered quickly that I had to keep graywater tank valve open to drain all the time to avoid odors.

Another symptom, I closed the valve a couple days before dumping black water tank to have some gray water to flush the line. After dumping the black water tank and closing its valve, I opened the gray water valve to flush, At the end (draining the last gallon or two) I could hear air 'chug-a-lugging' back into the gray water tank. That seems to indicate there is no gray water vent on this tank, as it has to suck air back up the spout to relieve the pressure. Kinda like cola draining from a bottle - 'chug-a-lugging as it drains.

Maybe the gray tank didn't get its vent installed at the factory or something. Seems the strongest odor was coming out from the cabinet under the bathroom sink when the door is opened. Maybe gray tank odors are following the bath sink drain pipe thru the wall and into the cabinet.

I need to fix this before I head out on the road where I'll need to use the graywater tank at campgrounds without full hookups.
Teaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Some of the grey drains might be vented with an air gap that looks like this. They have been known to fail open. They are easy to replace. You can try tapping on it with the handle of a screwdriver to try to reseat it. Look under sinks etc where grey water is generated.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #3

X2 what Flybob said
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Gray Water Vent Question

Yep, just replaced one in my 3010. Instant fix! I carry a spare now. About $10.00 at Home Depot or Lowes.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

That is an Air Admittenance Value, not a vent. But check it, it could be bad. You should also have a vent but I'm not sure where it is on your trailer. I had the same issue. Found a spider web in the vent that may have restricted air flow. Also realized I was running the exhaust fan with no windows open to let air into the trailer. This could create negative pressure in the bath area and suck grey tank air in through the AAV if it is not functioning properly.
Doing the above fixed my problem, at least for now.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #6

Gray Water Vent Question

The shower in our work and play does not have a conventional "P" trap like all our previous RV's. Under the shower is an inline contraption that is supposed to take the place of a p trap. I have read on other sites that this is most likely the culprit.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1476846242.791843.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	123386
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

On my 3170DS there is only one roof vent, I had the similar gray tank odor post showers, replaced the vent cover with a 360 siphon and haven't had any issues since with gray tank odors post showers
Old 10-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #8

X2 the 360 Siphon. They work wonders!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #9

Just getting back to the site.. look at the roof of the drive side rear bay. Drop the 10 inch square black cover to see your p trap, your freshwater line is in there also.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #10

Teaman here.

Thanks Hoglou for that info on the Sunseeker 2300. I will definitely check it out. Its hard to find any info specific to this particular rig. I am glad the Black tank does not produce odors until it is about full (a good tip to go dump tanks), But I am not happy with these early Gray tank odors starting within a day or two of closing gray tank valve. Something seems wrong somewhere.

I had a similar problem with a TT I once owned. Turned out the vent pipe had either been installed wrong at the factory, or it had slipped down into the black tank almost touching the bottom. Could not 'Dry' camp with it without odors. Hope that is not the case here.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

dont mean to hijack

Teaman,

As I mentioned the city water line is accessible in that space. I cut the hose and added a male/female fitting. I run my water pressure guage (and an extra hose) from that point. I mounted all the pvc do dads and the guage against the back wall. There are picks in my album...
Old 10-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

Hoglou ............... Thanks for extra info. I need all Sunseeker info I can get. I just bought my rig in August, a 2013 year model 2300. My first motorhome. Still learning about it. Been Full timing in TTs since about 1993 with exception of a couple stints in apartments for a lease period. (don't like apartsments much, I prefer 'camping'). My last TT was a 31 footer super slide. I gave it and my Dodge 2500 Ram to my Son and moved into an apartment for a year. Didn't like apartment living and regretted giving my camper and truck away. Too late to ask for it back tho, as my Son had already given the rig to his Son. Heh... So I found this 2013 SunSeeker MH 23 footer at a good price and low miles (just now turned 8000 miles). I think I'll like it once I can get organized and a little 'Modding' done.

Have already installed Maxair Vent covers over all vent lids. And have installed a new bathroom vent fan system, Bigger fan and multi speed forward and reverse. I like.

Need to figure out the problem with odors from the gray tank - hope it is something I can fix. I drove over to fill MH with gas the other day and I placed flat rubber stoppers over the shower drain and the kitchen sink drain. And firmly seated the bathroom sink stopper drain. Got back to my site and opened the coach, did not have any bad inside odors - so that is good news.

The reason I looked for a 'short' motorhome vs a long one was the desire for easy on the road handling. I think this rig will fit that bill perfectly. Now I can pull into any gas station without much worry. With the truck and camper, I found a lot of gas stations not suitable to enter. Once in an emergency situation I had to use a 'dead end' type gas station. I had to get store clerk to help me back the rig back out onto the street. Not fun.

Anyway, thanks for your info on SunSeekers. And glad to have anymore info you'd like to share.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #13

oder

I would try a product like odor ban, empty both tanks filled them to 40 % with about 1+1/2 cups of product. Drive it for twenty minutes with as much slosh as you could get and leave the mixture over night before draining.. Imagine any non foam based product would help. Bleach would work but difficult to deal with.

The gray tank may have been exposed to black waste as I have seen some people use the gray water to clean the black tank by opening both gates when they think the black is empty.
The result is the potentail solid waste being moved to the gray.

I did not go out and look but the shower trap may be removable for a good cleaning as there may be dryed whatever odoring out each time it get wet...

The vent issue is, dare I say above my head..
Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #14

So I had this issue last weekend on my 2251.
I think I traced it to a air pressure issue with the way I had the windows, vents and Fantastic Fan on (pushing air out)- sometimes had the bathroom fan on.
I checked for vent leaks at the sinks- my sinks drain into the black. They appear good. (only intake valve at the kitchen-nothing on the bathroom)
I shut everything down (closed windows, vents and fans), turned on the air cond and it seemed to go away.
I think the air was such that I was sucking the roof vent air into the coach somehow.

It was unseasonably warm, minimal breeze at times and some humidity.
I am going to look into the 360 siphon vents now.
One other item- my shower has a P trap. I will make sure that thing stays full along with the sinks.

And also- I will pour some diluted bleach into the shower (gray) tank to help with the odor buildup.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #15

Teaman here.

I guess I still need to do some more trouble shooting. Yes - could just be weird airflow problem with open roof vents but also strange that odor does not happen when I keep the gray water valve open to drain all the time (at full hookup site). And the tank 'chugging' while draining... Worries me that maybe bad quality control has let another defective product loose on the public. Could be why this rig I just bought has had three owners since 2013 (three years). Low miles (7900 when bought in August) and pretty good price I think from a dealer at least.

Tags
vent, water