Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #1

Has anyone replaced their door speakers?

We did our first long trip ( Texas to DisneyWorld) and I cant tell you how awful the door speakers are, I was constantly increasing and decresing the volume of the music. Understandably, some songs do have different pitch levels, but this was beyond reason.

I have to think ford but some cheap speakers in the door.

Anyone?
Old 11-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

What can you expect from Ford but junk? May be assembled in the US of A but they're using foreign made parts.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

We took a different approach with our Legacy. The factory speakers are two 3" speakers that are mounted on the ceiling just behind the electric bunk. You can barely hear them, much less get any sort of sound quality. Since we almost exclusively listen to the iPod when driving, we bought one of those cordless bluetooth Bose speakers (about $199) and sit in on the dash, right in the center, then connect to it from the iPod, which my wife controls. Bose products are designed to be placed against a wall and use the wall surface to "bounce" the sound, so the windshield is perfect placement. Sounds fantastic! This is the smaller Bose speaker, about 8" or so wide and around 2" x 2". The battery will last about 6 hours or so, but I bought the 12V adapter if we need more driving time. Also, the charging cradle sits on the kitchen counter, so we can give it a quick charge when we stop for lunch. Highly recommended upgrade if you're an iPod user.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
What can you expect from Ford but junk? May be assembled in the US of A but they're using foreign made parts.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
We took a different approach with our Legacy. The factory speakers are two 3" speakers that are mounted on the ceiling just behind the electric bunk. You can barely hear them, much less get any sort of sound quality. Since we almost exclusively listen to the iPod when driving, we bought one of those cordless bluetooth Bose speakers (about $199) and sit in on the dash, right in the center, then connect to it from the iPod, which my wife controls. Bose products are designed to be placed against a wall and use the wall surface to "bounce" the sound, so the windshield is perfect placement. Sounds fantastic! This is the smaller Bose speaker, about 8" or so wide and around 2" x 2". The battery will last about 6 hours or so, but I bought the 12V adapter if we need more driving time. Also, the charging cradle sits on the kitchen counter, so we can give it a quick charge when we stop for lunch. Highly recommended upgrade if you're an iPod user.
I actually have one of these, may have to give it a shot.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #6

Most, if not all, RV speakers suck. Replace them with some quality speakers and enjoy significantly improved output/sounds from your vehicles audio system.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Has any one any idea how to remove the covers for the ceiling speakers. Look like snap ons but don't want to come off when pried. Not able to slide or see any screws or screw cover. Almost looks like they glued them on. Help appreciated.
Friend of Bill and Lois
since May 30, 1975
Happywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #8

door speakers

Took my Chevy Forester to Best Buy and the tech recomended a pair of Kickers for the doors,and had them installed there. It cost me about a $150.00 intalled and the radio sounds much better
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
All cars and trucks are loaded with parts made overseas.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

Watch this youtube video!

rbusch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbusch1 View Post
Many Thanks !
Old 11-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbusch1 View Post
Watch this youtube video!
Thanks for the link. He suggests some decent $50 speakers in the video too.

I can barely hear my radio when driving and thought it was just something to accept with a Class C MH.

This mod will be number 1 on the list come spring.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #13

I replaced my door speakers as well as my ceiling speakers on my 3010. I ordered mine from Crutchfield. They provide detailed instructions plus a connector, so you don't have to cut the wire harness.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happywanderer View Post
Has any one any idea how to remove the covers for the ceiling speakers. Look like snap ons but don't want to come off when pried. Not able to slide or see any screws or screw cover. Almost looks like they glued them on. Help appreciated.
The covers are difficult to remove without damage, but they do come off. The screws are under the cover. I didn't worry too much about damage because I was replacing them anyway.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
I replaced my door speakers as well as my ceiling speakers on my 3010. I ordered mine from Crutchfield. They provide detailed instructions plus a connector, so you don't have to cut the wire harness.

What model speakers did u get from crutchfield
Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #16

I don't remember. I think they were Polks. I don't store the RV at home or I would check. Since you have to buy the speakers before you hear them, I relied heavily on customer reviews. Almost anything you buy would be an improvement though.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:30 PM   #17

I replaced my door speakers in my 2014 3050s with Polk DB series. They are the marine series and water proof. In heavy rains water gets in door panel when entering or exiting the rv. They sound great with volume up. I do get some light crackling at low volumes from them which i think is due to the cheap magnydyne head unit it came with. I am replacing that next and also the ceiling speakers. Best buy replaced my door speakers but i did the outside speakers and new dvd stereo with bluetooth for my iphone.

I replaced my outdoor speakers with the kicker 4" motorcycle waterproof series. Sound much better. I also replaced the cheap magnydyne outside dvd receiver. I am also going to replace the Jensen sub it came with and go with a kicker 8" sub.
Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door