Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

Heat pump normal operation?

Is it normal for the heat pump fan to stop running before getting up to temp? It also sounds like the unit is running minus the fan. Doesn't completly shut off like when on ac
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #2

The first part of your question is no. The second part could be that you are hearing the compressor going into the defrost mode. What that is it reveries itself into a/c mode to defrost the condenser coil. After a certain amount of time the reversing valve will switch back to the heat mode and start heating again. Other wise your coil would become a block of ice. Hope I didn't confuse you. It is done either by a outdoor sensor or a timer that is built into the circuit board. If the indoor fan stayed on without heat strips you would get cold air. I don't know how yours is set up, but that's the basics. Hope that helps a little....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Our 2011 Sunseeker has the Dometic 15,000 btu/hr air conditioner/heat pump. The thermostat on ours is not the same as is used in the current models, but they probably work the same.

There is a temperature sensor on the roof-mounted unit. The defrost cycle is controlled by the thermostat reading the sensor. The heat pump starts to periodically go through the defrost cycle when the outside temperature goes below 42 F. If the outside temperature goes below 30 F it shuts off the heat pump entirely and switches to the propane furnace.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

It is normal for the fan to stop briefly as it shifts from hi to low or vice versa. During that time the compressor continues
to run. This happens when either heat pump or air conditioning is running

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #5

Hey guys thanks for the reply's. sorry I didn't have cell phone coverage after my post and couldn't update. It turns out the problem was the power box in the La Pine state park in Oregon was correctly wired but the 30A receptacle had a worn out blade on it. When I checked the voltage I was only getting 55VAC or so. I forced my plug in tight and tied it so it wouldn't move and it worked great then. I told the camp host and he said yea they had had problems with the box but haven't had time to fix. We moved the next morning to a new camping spot in the boondocks on the shore of a beautiful lake in the Newberry Forest. Oh what a view SEE Link below... We stayed at North Lake (20 miles from HiWay 97 up the mountain, (Lake Paulina Region) and explored a lot of area between Bend OR. and La Pine OR. area. Put on 300 miles on the toad in 3 days exploring the beautiful volcanic area. Its US Forest Service and we enjoyed all the attractions free and 50% discounted camping fee with the America the Beautiful Senior Pass. (The best $10 we ever spent when I turned 65 a few years ago) IT all cost $27 for 3 days and nights at the most beautiful camping spot we have ever camped in and all the attraction sites were free... A lot of it where we were camped closes in a few weeks but it was a nice camping trip that I highly recommend.

Newberry National Volcanic Monument - Deschutes NF - Home
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump