Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Hello New to C's & Sunseeker

Hello, wanted to introduce myself!

This coming weekend scheduled to pickup our NEW Sunseeker 2690S.

Wife and I, discovered RVíing with a Travel Trailer purchase a little over 2 years ago. Have taken the TT out, almost every other weekend, with several 7-10 day trips, and now want to go to a drivable!

After much research, and finding a floor-plan & rig length we liked, going for the Sunseeker.

This forum appears to be very active, well represented, and super impressed, appears advice & follow-up (info & such) from Forest River rep!! Didn't see that with our previous brand.

Any advice on specific items, to look for during our PDI, on the Class C or Sunseeker specific, would be greatly appreciated.

Wife and I pretty handy and know the basic RV systems, new to Class Cís.

Thanks in advance!

Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Welcome and congrats on your new Sunseeker!

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
F-350 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
2014 Heritage Glen 356QBQ

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
Welcome! We made the transition from TT to Sunseeker a couple of years ago. The basics you already know, although you will want the PDI to show you things like where hot water tank bypass valves are, etc. The things that are new and different include: The cab in general--like having a new car or truck, you need to know basics of maintenance, etc. In the cab (probably on the drivers seat down low) there will be an emergency start switch that allows engine to use coach battery for starting--have them explain that. Backup camera may be a new item for you.

The generator will likely be a new item for you (built in will be different even if you have used portables before). Make sure they walk through that and show you both inside and outside controls for it.

The rear suspension has air bags. Make sure they show you where they fill from, etc. (More on that in other threads here).

If you have the upgraded 15000 btu air conditioner, it also has a heat pump setting that you can use instead of the furnace for those "cool" mornings and evenings.

Have them show you the sticker on the drivers door jam that shows recommended tire pressures (just like a car). Then make sure they have checked them before you drive away.

Have them show you the location of the whole house water filter and verify that they have not lost the filter element (the filter housing likely is filled with antifreeze at this time of year, so the filter is loose somewhere in the coach).

Look at the propane tank and understand its operation. Not really different from trailer, except it is permanently mounted. Requires a stop at propane filling (Flying J truck stops) station. Dealer may have that service also. In any case, you should be leaving dealer with a full tank.

If you have automatic levelers, make sure they show you (a couple of times) how they work.

Most everything else will work like on a TT. That is NOT to say that you should skip those things on PDI. Make sure that everything is checked. Mine had different brands of appliances, so operation was a little different than I had in my trailer, etc.

The first time you pull into a camp site and realize that 5 minutes later you are all setup and ready to enjoy, you will celebrate all over again the move from TT to MH. Happy motoring and camping!
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
We made the transition from TT to MH a few weeks ago! LOVE it already! We have already taken it out and have it stocked and ready for our next adventure. We had no troubles figuring everything out, EXCEPT where the switch is to turn off the hot water heater. Our fifth wheel had controls on the inside for propane or electric. This does not- So you might want to ask about that. I'm sure there will be other questions when we get out again- and that's why I'm so thankful for this forum! Very knowledgable group here!! Happy trails to you!
gigi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Love My Sunseeker
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
The first time you pull into a camp site and realize that 5 minutes later you are all setup and ready to enjoy, you will celebrate all over again the move from TT to MH. Happy motoring and camping!
Your post had very good advice, but I question the "five minutes." HUH? Takes me 30 minutes to set up!

1. Put out the stabilizer pads
2. Put down the stabilizers
3. Turn on the electric water heater (switch is outside)
4. Turn on the propane
5. Connect the water
6. Connect the electric cord and possibly cable cord
7. Connect the sewer hose
8. Go inside, turn on frig
9. Take the sticks out of the slide outs
10. Do one slideout
11. Do the other slideout
12. Set the clock on the microwave (gotta have this!)
13. Move my area rugs to the appropriate places
14. Move my file boxes to the computer area
15. Move the cats kitty condo/perch from behind computer chair to window
16. Move the cat's litter box to the place I like to have it

Then, if I'm staying for more than one night, it's

17. Set up my Verizon Jet Pack
18. Take out my phone
19. Take out my Router for the phone
20. Connect my phone to router

All that takes 30 minutes! Where do you get five minutes?
JJ only, my cat went to Rainbow Bridge July 2015

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
OK so I exaggerated a little :-)
Compared to running tongue jack, unhitching, disconnecting WD bars and storing, removing hitch (or later suffering shin damage), etc., its a lot easier to make camp with a MH.

As for turning on jet pack, mine is already on because copilot is on the iPad all the time :-)
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
I too am waiting on a new 3010ds. It is in the works and scheduled for an end of February delivery.
Yes 30 minutes may be more realistic, but for lazy old me, a lot of the set up waits until I need it. So, I may just drive in, roll out the slides, crank up the antenna and sit and watch the neighbors for a while. If I'm lucky MrsDoc will do the rest. 😃
doctinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
I have a 3010 and we all have jobs for the set up. I have my son (17) do the leveling w/ my assistance. I do electric and water and cable (if available). I do sewer after we are all set up, or even wait till the next day. Wife and other son do awning, mat and chairs. Wife also handles the inside stuff. We go over our plan as we are driving in and get done really quick working together.

Mike001 is online now   Reply With Quote