Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Hellwig rear sway bar

Received my Hellwig rear sway bar today. Hope to install this weekend. Any insights or "gotchas" from folks that have done this? 2014 E450.
2007 Ford Escape Toad-5 spd manual
Blue Ox Alpha tow bar/Blue Ox Patriot brake
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

Want to install one also , where did you buy from and what part number did you order, please post your install , would like to here how hard/easy to install.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #3

Haven't done that bar but have done the sway bar bushings on a 34' winnie. day before you start soak all the bolts and nuts with PB Blaster it will make the job much easier.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #4

Thanks SeaDog. Good Advise. Stang it is a Hellwig 7180 from Amazon ~$230. It appears to be a straight bolt-on replacement for my 2014. There are some videos on youtube for a slightly different model.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #5

I will be interested in hearing your thoughts after you install the new bar and take it for a test drive.
Rockin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrad View Post
Received my Hellwig rear sway bar today. Hope to install this weekend. Any insights or "gotchas" from folks that have done this? 2014 E450.
Try to get someone to help you balance the bar for test fit. I used an air gun for quick removal of the old bar. I had to use a floor jack on the corners of the saddle brackets to lightly force them up while slowly tightening the bolts. The diameter of the washers supplied by helwig were too big; interfered with the shoulders of the saddle brackets. I used a creeper and the cardboard from the box to make it easier to move around under the rig. Use disposable gloves to apply the grease, it makes a mess.
mpincentralva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin M View Post
I will be interested in hearing your thoughts after you install the new bar and take it for a test drive.
Installed front and rear helwigs on my 32 ft rig. Much less sway and rocking. Very pleased. See my reply to the OP about installation.
mpincentralva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #8

Got it installed this weekend. MP is correct on needing additional assistance in getting the bar up and in place. I used a creep instead of a creeper :-) Close buddy and lots of beer.

I absolutely could not get it done by myself. It is a beast to hold up and install. The replacement bolts on the u-joints have short shoulders and end up being a little too tight. A thin wall socket works best.

The Hellwig instructions say to "press" into the hourglass rubber sleeve on the upper arm. It was more than a press for me. With everything greased, a hammer and 2x4 were needed then a 1/2 socket extension to get the sleeve nice and seated.

The front sway bar arrives on Thursday. We have 4000 mile trip coming up mid-July. Will report back on performance.

We did South Dakota and Yellowstone last summer. The winds through eastern CO and western KS made for two days of white knuckle driving.

Tags
sway