Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
Wig

Help me trouble shoot

I have a 2015 3010 DS. This past week we went camping in 100+ degree temperature. Everything worked correctly the first night and most of the second day, then the air conditioner quit working as did the microwave. I checked the fuse box where we were connected and all was fine. Just to be sure, I powered the box off/on. The EMS unit that we had attached to the power source indicated that things were okay, and the blue light on the cord attaching power to our RV showed to be okay. I checked the fuse box inside the RV and everything was okay. However, I switched it off/on with no result. Items that were on the coach batteries continued to work. When we got home, I started the generator and both the air conditioner and microwave worked with generator power; however, once the generator was turned off and I hooked up to 110 household power, the air conditioner and microwave would not work. The blue light on the power cord continued to show that power was going to the RV. While I am prepared to return it to the dealership to fix the problem, I want to be sure that I am not over looking something simple. Does anyone have a suggestion of something that I might try before taking it back to the dealership?
Thanks for your help.
Wig
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

If 110 VAC items only work while on generator power and not on shore power I would take a look at the transfer switch. Maybe the relay hung up on the generator side. If you can use a multimeter, I would trace your incoming power and see where it goes.
Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loranimal View Post
If 110 VAC items only work while on generator power and not on shore power I would take a look at the transfer switch. Maybe the relay hung up on the generator side. If you can use a multimeter, I would trace your incoming power and see where it goes.
I agree, transfer switch issue.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Wig

I don't know how to use a multimeter and would not know where to start. Where would the transfer switch be located?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #5

I don't know where it is on a 3010, but on my 2860DS it's under the master bed in the rear. My transfer switch/relay box failed also with the same symptoms. My intent is to start a thread with pictures to show the meltdown.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Agreed that it's a classic example of a bad transfer switch. If you are not familiar with RV circuits and 120 volt wiring, best to let a pro handle it.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Wig

Thanks. I found the place where switch is located. Will probably take to the dealer
Old 07-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

Could be the transfer switch but I would check the power cord connection. You didn't mention if all 110v electric supply is lost when on shore power. You could checkout the shore power plug, cable and follow it to where it connects to the coach electrical system at the transfer switch. Look for hot spots or burned areas. Since you were operating with high electrical loads when it failed I suspect the connection to the electrical system has burned up.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #9

Same problems a few weeks ago. Also suspected transfer switch because one side of it was dead, but it turned out to be the wiring in the wall after where the cord plugged in . A wire had not been tightened correctly at the factory - they also found a 12 v connection without a wire nut. So have your dealer check all electric under the bed, since it's a pita to get to!
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #10

Help me troubleshot

Transfer switch is under the bed, should be on cab side of bed. I price one earlier this year at $84.50. I would not recommend you touch it, it is has a 2 year warranty. Take it in and get it repaired at the dealership.
jth8696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #11

I had the same problem with my MH. Turned out to be a faulty receptacle where the shore power plugged into.
poppoplou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkranchgalnguy View Post
Same problems a few weeks ago. Also suspected transfer switch because one side of it was dead, but it turned out to be the wiring in the wall after where the cord plugged in . A wire had not been tightened correctly at the factory - they also found a 12 v connection without a wire nut. So have your dealer check all electric under the bed, since it's a pita to get to!
That is scary stuff,,, could have been a fire !!!
Maybe workers need more time to do there jobs !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
2019 Renegade Verona LE

What is the charge state of your batteries??

Wig. What was the charge state of your batteries when the A/C refused to work? I have had a similar situation with my 283TS and I am currently replacing the factory WFCO unit with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-power RV Converter PD9260. My A/C would not work on shore power unless the batteries had a charge. The RV dealer said that on of the batteries must have had a BAD cell but when I replaced the batteries, three days later it happened again. The WFCO charger was NOT keeping my batteries charged. I might have to replace the Transfer Switch. Kim
CaboSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #14

This is the first really hot day since my last post on this thread. Same thing happened: the ac ran fine set at 78 this am . About 3 this pm I noticed it had gotten hot in rv. Looked at microwave: no 120v. Turned on genny, ac started right up! (Whew). Now what do I do? Call Dalton's, who found loose wire in wall where 120 plugs into coach, and supposedly fixed the problem? Could it be the transfer switch also? FR is going to reimburse $ for last repair, and we are squeeking under warranty again( ends in a few weeks). The frustrating saga continues. Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #15

Had similar thing happen on 50amp coach wire coming in was loose at the connection in bay cost me 50$ and 2 days camping because I didn't check connection

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-31-2015, 04:56 PM   #16

Found the problem: tripped breaker at the park's panel- not my rig! I should have checked the surge protector first. Thanks.