Old 06-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #11

camaraderie,
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the tips and insight. I have a load tester buried somewhere in the garage....Never thought to pull it out and check. Batteries are about 2 months old, but going to pull them this afternoon and take back to place of purchase for them to check out. Appreciate your help. One GOOD thing about having problems with the coach ( as a newbie ) is that I am learning a heck of a lot about where, what, when, and how things affect each other on a coach. Lot different than a static house! Thank you Again.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

camaraderie, One additional Thank You. Appreciate the info on how to test the output of the converter. That was a concern. thom and debbie

Old 06-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #13

camaraderie, As a follow up to your suggestions. Completed a number of your suggestions and then I decided to charge the two batteries (in tandem) overnight with a typical 6 amp charger. That does not work as I found out from EBCO. For any newbee novice like me, "you can only charge one battery at a time with typical automotive battery charger." Again lesson learned....better to be at home messing up then stranded in the dessert boon-docking. However to my good check list .....one of the new batteries purchased in March 2016 was bad and they replaced and we seem to be up and ready to roll this weekend. Thank you to all who responded.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanddebbie View Post
camaraderie, As a follow up to your suggestions. Completed a number of your suggestions and then I decided to charge the two batteries (in tandem) overnight with a typical 6 amp charger. That does not work as I found out from EBCO. For any newbee novice like me, "you can only charge one battery at a time with typical automotive battery charger." Again lesson learned....better to be at home messing up then stranded in the dessert boon-docking. However to my good check list .....one of the new batteries purchased in March 2016 was bad and they replaced and we seem to be up and ready to roll this weekend. Thank you to all who responded.
Glad to be of help. Good point on home chargers...also since they are single stage chargers...it is definitely a no no to leave batteries on them more than a night without checking state of charge and temperature.
There is NO problem using a home charger on 2 batteries if it is big enough but 6 amps ain't.
Don't know what group size you have but from small to large in 12V RV systems we typically see group 24, 27 and 31 which have 75 95 and 110 amp hours respectively (on average) .... a battery may be discharged to HALF of its amp hours before you start to damage it....so for each battery you have somewhere between 40 and 55 amps to put back in after discharge. A 6 amp charger will can put back in 6amphours in an hour when the battery is half full....much less as it nears full.
So using the 40 amp put back goal on the small battery...that means nearly 7 hours at FULL output to get to full battery ....but really translates into 14 hours or so due to the increased resistance when it gets up into the 80>90+% full range. So if you have two small batteries...that's 28 hours to get to full charge!
Thats a roundabout way of saying that ideally a charger should put out 20-25% of the RATED AMP HOURS of the battery bank for shortest charging times. So a 200 amp hour bank needs a 40-50 amp charger etc.
More amps can't be accepted by the battery but won't hurt...and less amps mean a longer wait. At a minimum 10% of capacity should be used.
This is why you had problems with 2 batteries and 6 amps!
Most of the current forest river class C & A models are coming with a 55amp 3 stage charger by comparison.

I'm glad you found the bad battery..it would have ruined your good one in short order.
If you plan on boondocking...think seriously about investing in a true battery monitor. If you stay plugged in at home and away...just a multimeter will be fine... with a $50 clamp on AC/DC one very handy.
All best & see ya out there!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #15

OK, I'll ask the obvious question. Does the OP have deep draw / marine / RV batteries installed, or regular auto batteries?
Old 06-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
OK, I'll ask the obvious question. Does the OP have deep draw / marine / RV batteries installed, or regular auto batteries?
Likely dual purpose Exides...but it doesn't matter at all to the problem he described. Deep cycles do not deliver more current or more amp hours than dual purpose batteries...they don't deliver nearly the number of discharge CYCLES. When it comes time to replace them as a pair...he can go with golf carts or 12V DC's to get a few hundred more cycles and save money.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Likely dual purpose Exides...but it doesn't matter at all to the problem he described. Deep cycles do not deliver more current or more amp hours than dual purpose batteries...they don't deliver nearly the number of discharge CYCLES. When it comes time to replace them as a pair...he can go with golf carts or 12V DC's to get a few hundred more cycles and save money.
I believe it matters. The OP should have deep cycle batteries installed in his coach if he doesn't already. Also dual purpose aren't recommended over deep cycle. Last post on this thread.

Tags
battery