Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #1

Help on my Invisibrake

I have a 2014 3010 and I recently had a tow bar, brackets and Invisibrake installed. This morning I hooked everything up and when I turn the corner my Equinox's tires really squeek. I double checked and I have it neutral. Also I have a toggle switch with just the dot at the top. When I'm towing is the dot pushed in or push it in from the bottom. I'm afraid to drive it too far with the tires really hugging the pavement. Hope someone can help.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #2

We have an Equinox that we tow behind our Forester but I haven't installed a toad brake system - yet. We've done about 1500 miles and it has been fine like it is.
That being said I can't help you troubleshoot your Invisibrake but what I would do is have someone ride in the Equinox while under tow for a few miles. This will help identify if the brake system is set too prematurely or if it is even applying brake pressure without the coach brakes being applied.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #3

Thanks bgilley. I did some more troubleshooting and if I leave the brake connection off i don't have the squeeling of my tires around the corner which tells me I need my braking system adjusted. With the Ivisibrake there is normally very little adjusting done that's why I purchased it. Also they hide it either in the trunk or under the drivers seat. I will take it in to Camping World where I bought it and have them adjust it.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

I believe its just a knob. I have the same system and thats how I adjust it.
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #5

bgilly....You said you have an Equinox like I do I was wondering how is the steering wheel when you tow. Took my rig into Camping World and they adjusted my Invisibrake but said even though I have my car in neutral the steering when seemed pretty tight and thats why my wheels turn rough on a tight turn. On a wide turn seems ok.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

Well with the engine off there is no power steering so I do have to fight a bit trying to get steering centered.
When towing I have not noticed any difference but I generally take wide turns when towing. I want to make certain there isn't any bumper contact between Equinox and the Forester (although they look close in the rearview camera I verbally have plenty of clearance).
I have the Blue-Ox Alpha tow bar and it seems to stretch way back. This distance may help the Equinox to track steering a bit better behind the coach.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #7

I have the Falcon 2 tow bar. Next time I might stretch mine out a few inches more and see if it helps. In the future I will try to keep my sharp turns to a minimum but sometimes hard to do. With no power on that steering wheel is pretty stiff. I am very happy with the towing in general though.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #8

I just bought a 2014 Equinox and a RVI 2 Brake system, I have only towed 70 miles thus far, but appears to be just fine. The steering is tight due to electric power steering pump but felt tires and wheels after tow and no heat all is well there, I use blue ox for towing and base plate. Note the only power source after pulling no.32 fuse is the driver side rear power port in luggage area. A $10.00 12vt extension cord took care of that. One other factor, you may have to make a platform for the RVI as the floor pan in Equinox is sloped and not square causing the unit to ride up in back, may affect the braking. The platform I have is flat with lip at rear for the unit to slide up to. Hope this helps.

Tags
brakes