Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #1

Question Hi, Please give me the 411

Hi All,

We have been ready to make the jump from TT for my family to Class C..
It has been a long time (and confusing time) of looking at layouts and companies.. Of course I am on a Sunseeker forum so I expect to hear how much everyone loves thier unit but I need to look at the drawbacks too to see if we can live with them before purchasing.

We are looking at a 3120DS 2007.. upgrading from a Frontier TT 2505

What are some common problems to look for. (Hubby wasn't keen on the dumping area, it is not enclosed with a floor either right behind a wheel..)
We don't believe in taking our home with us camping so we don't need a "posh" unit but some of the things on the Sunseeker look a little skimped on too.. of course searching the net we found some people who told us they were pieces of junk..
We thought they were well made with some exceptions.. (nothing is perfect) so we wanted to talk to some "real" owners...

So besides the usual issues what were some of your "unexpected" surprises when you took your unit on trips..

Thanks in advance.. hope to be on this forum as an owner too.
Markenplus2
markenplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
first off, welcome! I'm a TT owner so am of no help on the model or even on 'c's generally so I'll leave our friends to offer their views. In the meantime, you might see if you can access a few issues of Trailer Life magazine, their reviews of Class C's are pretty objective.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #3

Welcome to the frf site
I to dotn have a class C, but we looked at many before deciding to stay with the fiver.

I found and this is just my opinion, the entry level class C's seem to be put together pretty shody compared to a fiver, and many are close to the max front axle weight allowed by the frame builder on axle weights, which leaves a minimum you can add for personel effects,

i can see traveling with kids though the class C is the way to go, they have to have space on long trips and thes units do have that and still aloow dad to drive,

i wish you luck on your search
Robert
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome to the forum.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #5

Smile

We went from a C to a 5th wheel. As anything in the RV world there are advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on your likes and dislkes. With the C you have to tow something in order to have transportation when you get where your going. But the C can be set up and taken down quickly. The 5ver has more room and the feel of being in your own living room. The cost of maintaining the C is much greater than TT and 5ver.

Good luck in what ever you choose. Most important have fun.........
Old 10-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #6

I own a 2003 Sunseeker and I am pretty happy with it. I had a Keystone Springdale travel trailer. I do miss the storage space. I guess we were using the tow truck for storage too, and now we do not have that luxury. The inside of the camper is comfortable, I do not have any complains about it. Let me know what specific questions you have and I will try to answer them for you.
wengerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #7

Hi Wengerda,
Is there anything that really bothered you about the Sunseeker?
I've read issues with:
water faucets
slides not working well
and I was a bit leery of the dump plumbing being behind the wheel with only a flap guard protecting it..
The smaller tanks for propane and grey/fresh water were also an issue.. any thoughts?
Thanks again..
THe dealer gave us a good deal.. we are thinking of taking it
Maria
Old 10-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #8

Let me see:
Water faucet works fine.
I do not have any problems with the slide (1 slide)
Dump plumbing is not a big deal, my previous trailer had the same configuration.
About the smaller propane and grey/fresh water is not a big deal either. When we go camping, we go to full-hook areas, and for no more than 3 to 4 days per trip.
By the way where are you located?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #9

Thanks for the info..
We are in Eastern PA.. where are you located?
We are going to inspect this model tomorrow and if all goes well we will be new owners..
It is just a huge jump from a tt to a class c
but we know we will use it more than the tt..

Thanks for your help..
Markenplus2
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #10

I am in the Northern Virginia area, 10 miles from Washington D.C. Good luck..
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #11

Wink Class C back to TT!

For many years (I hate to admit how many), we owned travel trailers from various manufacturers. Last year we decided to take the big step and sold our year old t.t. and bought a used, 2004 Sunseeker, 3100FKS. We camped in it in a variety of campgrounds for the better part of a year. One motivation was that my wife could help me with the driving and although the C was easier to drive, she still would not drive it! We discovered the motorhome had less living space than the t.t.s and very little view from the living area (although the bathroom was excellent). It rode well enough, but the driver's seat, although leather, was not as comfortable as our Suburban that we always used for a TV. We believe the motorhome is best for large families (it sleeps at least 8), that want to camp for a weekend. We are a retired couple with a miniature Schnauzer and we like to camp for extended periods. We don't need all of those beds! So, last month we found a dealer that wanted to do business, and we traded our m.h and bought a 2008 t.t. We just took the new t.t. for a four day campout, mostly to check it out. It has a great view from large windows and a lot more living space. It's good to be back!!
edcaroleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome back! My TT has a nice view too!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

If the Sunseeker you purchased has "Arctic Package," well, the only complaint I have is that the "artctic" package is merely "glued" to the tanks. I have had my Sunseeker for 3 years (2006 model bought in 2005) and this year the darn things fell off while I was driving. I tried to duct tape them back on, it was raining, the tape wouldn't stick. Fortunately, I found an RV service place that could reglue them on..... But I'm not happy that they are merely "glued." (It's a special glue that isn't supposed to come off...)

JJ
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #14

I have a 2004 Sunseeker Regency and I LOVE it. I have only had it for a couple months and have only had it out twice but have not had a problem with it. This model has Class A storage while being a class C style so I have to be carefull in how much I try to carry but it is the most comfortable RV I have been in.
mcjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker le