Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #1

Honda 1000 Generator for the 2301 MH

On my trip around US for the past 19 weeks I found out the 2 Deep Cycle Batteries in the camper are like my bank account. To keep it at a proper amount you need to put back at least the amount you take out and then some. And doing a lot of camping not plugged in can make this a real problem to keep up with proper deposits. Either traveling or running the 4K Onan generator is my only way of charging that is available. Now if I was not on a trip that is planned to last 20 more weeks I would certainly give serious thought on a Solar Set Up just like Snowman9000 has engineered on his recent post and describing.

So after doing some checking with a Kill a Watt Meter at a church that allowed me to plug in it was discovered a Honda 1000 generator would fill the bill. Very rarely (only once) will the Honda show an over wattage light and automatically kick out on its own at start up. That can be easily be corrected by starting the Onan for ten minutes, shutting down and letting the Honda take over. But most always the Honda will start and keep up just fine.

Testing shows that starting amperage might be as high as 5- 8 amps of 110 volts. But after 10 min of running it will settle down to 3 amps. After 10 min. charging the computer in addition to the battery charging will bring it up to 3.5 amps, adding the Jensen 32 inch TV will bring it up to a total of 4 amps 110 volts. After an hour of charging you can subtract 1.5 amps from these results as the battery is accepting less and less as the batteries get charged. All this is being done on Eco Mode which makes it so quiet that it hardly can be heard inside. A big difference from the Onan 4K. Really happy with these results and the gasoline savings. Made up a short and lighter duty plug for plugging in at the 110 hook up.

Now one might say why not get the Honda 2000 for just a little more. I do not need the size difference or the increase in weight. Also the plan was not to replace the 4K Onan for the heavy weight items such as Air or Microwave use. As this would only bring problems of lack of use that you read so much about. And the best thing is the wife can start the Onan for cooking while the Honda is running and shut the Onan off afterwards because the motorhome has auto control doing this. No reason to change anything for 15 min. of cooking.

Now some reasons why this set up works so well for me. I have a 2014 Model 2301 with the new type low current lights; the switch on the refrigerator is set for lpg usage only. The refrigerator would increase the amperage use by 2.5 amps at 110 volts. This would just be asking too much and would not support the original plan. The Honda is running right now while the computer, lights and TV playing, life is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	126523   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	126524  
Old 12-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
Chief tinkerer

Honda generators are nice.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #3

I've had a 2K for almost 15 years.
I even pulled my 9K A/C unit on my old trailer with it.
Honda's are the best.
Me personally- I would have opted for the 2k over the 1K but I see your points.

When I am dry camping, I run the Honda in the evening for lighting and to charge everything up. Also works good remotely- if I need power away from the camp- like running my compressor.
Before bed- I switch the plug and use the 4K onboard in the morning for coffee and etc.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #4

I Love the 1000 ! I have a 2000 & a 1000, I found that the 1 satisfies most of my needs. On my Lazy Daze I carried it on a hitch rack I had built to carry the gen forward, over the bumper. It was usable in that location, and allowed me to tow with it in position. I had a 2kw inverter which powered everything, the generator acted as a battery charger. Also had 500W of solar on the roof, we never used the Onan, it finally became a boat anchor.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

Me, I'll take a Champion over a Honda and over a Yamaha anyday. Much less initial cost, same inverter technology, same output waveform. Besides, the Honda uses a Yamaha dc generator head. Recently sold a 10 year old Yamaha because I wanted new and was getting concerned about the electronics and bought a Champion. Excellent unit less than half the price of a Honda or Yamaha. $499 (on sale) gets you 2000 watts of pure sine wave power in a compact, 60 pound (fueled) package with all the bells and whistles the other 2 have.

I realize the Champ is made in China but the electronics on the Honda and Yamaha are as well. No problem with me.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

Hondas have a very low decibel rating as opposed to the champion which sounds like a tractor. The noise level in a camp ground can make one very unpopular.

Brandon2
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

honda shut down at start up.

You say the Honda will occasionally shut down at start up. Simply turn main breaker off until gen is up and warm, then turn back on main breaker. Shouldn't start up under load anyway. At least that's what my instructions were.
Days Camped 2016 91, 2017 110
Days camped 2018 136
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
Hondas have a very low decibel rating as opposed to the champion which sounds like a tractor. The noise level in a camp ground can make one very unpopular.

Brandon2
Sun Seeker
News to me... The one I have is quieter than the Yamaha I had. In fact, when it's running you cannot hear it inside the RV at all, but then again, If I was in a campground I would be shore powered. The only time I use mine is boondicking and usually there in no one around...but me and the wife.

I think if you compare sound ratings like on a site like Generators,com, you'll find the Champion is quieter than the Honda. I know it a heck of a lot cheaper.

Whatever, not here to argue, just presenting an economical alternative.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
Not sure about this. I'm looking to buy a generator. Checking various sites for specs.
Camping life did a review that had the Honda EU2000i as: 58dB @ normal load; 52dB @ quiet load, both measurements at 20 feet

The Champion Power tool website specifies: 53 dBA at 23 ft (I expect this is full load). It doesn't have a rating for reduced load, but expect it is significantly lower.

If both ratings are as I describe, then the Champion is the quieter unit.

I wonder if the Champion you heard was a construction generator rather than their inverter version? Loveryourrv.com says "Quiet – Unless they are powering a large load at full rpm they are nice and quiet in Econo mode. You can easily have a normal conversation standing right beside the generator."

You can buy a pair of Champions with the parallel cable for about the price of one Honda.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Not sure about this. I'm looking to buy a generator. Checking various sites for specs.
Camping life did a review that had the Honda EU2000i as: 58dB @ normal load; 52dB @ quiet load, both measurements at 20 feet

The Champion Power tool website specifies: 53 dBA at 23 ft (I expect this is full load). It doesn't have a rating for reduced load, but expect it is significantly lower.

If both ratings are as I describe, then the Champion is the quieter unit.

I wonder if the Champion you heard was a construction generator rather than their inverter version? Loveryourrv.com says "Quiet – Unless they are powering a large load at full rpm they are nice and quiet in Econo mode. You can easily have a normal conversation standing right beside the generator."

You can buy a pair of Champions with the parallel cable for about the price of one Honda.
You answered your own question... Economy of scale...

I have to say mine is very quiet (Champ). Even my wife commented about how quiet it is.

The 2 pole 3600 RPM Champs are noisy (any 2 pole 3600 rpm genny is), not just Champion, but the Champ Inverter isn't a 2 pole screamer.

Having owned a Yamaha 2800 I for almost 10 years (it's a good unit as well) and using it for everything from the Rv to running circular saws at jibsites, I'm totally sold on an Inverter and the only reason I sold the Yamaha was it's age. BTW, I sold it on Flea-Bay in a half hour and I asked what the Champion cost me new, so in reality, the Champ cost me nothing and I got a new unit instead of a 10 year old unit.

It's well engineered. The Champ is totally enclosed (like the Honda), but unlike the Honda which resembles a six pack if beer, the Champ is rectangular with wrap around handles and all the controls are on the front, recessed in.

The gas has a double shutoff (tank and carb) and the carb valve is out front recessed with the other controls.

Holds a gallon of regular unleaded and that lasts me 2 days if intermittent running (on economy mode). I broke it in according to the owners manual, ran a full tank if gas through it on normal (not economy) mode and loaded it with a 1500 watt heat gun the whole time and it took almost 3 hours to run the tank out. Changed the break in oil to synthetic and called it good. End of this season (before I put the RV away) I changed the oil again and checked the air filter (it's an oiled foam filter). Wasn't dirty but I cleaned and re oilked it anyway.

Gallon of gas, 1 pint of oil and 2 pulls (has a compression release too) and it's running.

Far as I'm concerned, it's a great value and Costo has them usually on sale.

No, I don't work for Champion, I'm retired. I just think it a good bang for the buck.

I did mix Marine Stabil in the fuel before I put it away... So it starts in the spring...lol

If you really want a Honda, by all means buy one. There are alternatives out there and good ones too.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #11

not on ground

I have both the 1 & 2-love them both-DO NOT sit the genny on the bare ground as shown in the one pic- I use mine in the desert all the time & had to take in to a dealer when it would not run. He told me he gets a lot of business for that reason. It sucks up dust from the ground when running-use a small tarp or rug or cardboard and save yourself a repair bill
danandmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #12

Sounds like a simple maintenance fix. Clean the air cleaner filter.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #13

reply to sidecar

I'm not that stupid and it is not that simple- air cleaner was not dirty which was the first thing I checked-the dirt gets sucked into working parts of the genny.
danandmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandmillie View Post
I'm not that stupid and it is not that simple- air cleaner was not dirty which was the first thing I checked-the dirt gets sucked into working parts of the genny.
I didn't imply you were....

People in general tend to disregard simple maintenance issues, like cleaning air filters or changing oil on portable power products. Why it is pretty standard today to have a low oil shutdown, people never check stuff.

Some of the posts on here leave me wondering about simple common sense......

One thing to always keep in mind, especially with an inverter genny is, never pressure wash it or even take a hose to it. The electronics don't like water. Same applies to a conventional (2 pole 3600 rpm screamer).

In as much as I never have camped in the desert, fine dirt / dust is a non issue with me but I always set my unit on plywood base when using it. Keeps it level for one and it also protects the grass near the exhaust from catching on fire.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #15

Sorry I mentioned what brand it was. The whole idea of the post was to inform what this size generator can do.

As I mentioned in post the gen only stopped once. Yes it is warmed up before plugging in.

And yes I do have it setting on a good size cardboard and I thank you for that reference, just took the picture too soon.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #16

Sure, keeping your generator out of the dust is probably a good thing, but not essential. I have 2 ten year old EU2000i that run sitting on the ground in the desert most of the time. But then I do wash and re-oil the air filters religiously. If it's raining I'll put them on a board to keep them out of the mud. They are tougher than most folks think.

If all we did was recharge batteries we would only use a 1000 model also.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
. They are tougher than most folks think.

Yes they are.
I tell one of my buds- if it wasn't for Honda, you wouldn't have any fun.
He is hard on his stuff and is not the best on maintenance shall we say.

My Honda's have always run great.
Except for my old CR 500. That beast gave me fits.

Tags
generator