Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #21

I have the same problem with the service department of the dealership where we purchased our TT. I plan to email the owner about this.
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #22

No one should have to pay MSRP
Yet FR insists we use our local dealer
If you are fortunate enough like we were to have a good dealer great but if they are playing hardball on price the tens of thousands saved is worth buying where you want and even if the growing pains come out of pocket you are still ahead of the game
There are independents out there for a good reason
They know there is money to be made from people that won't accept the BS from the dealer
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by esloser View Post
I'm in the market for a new Forest River travel trailer. This kind of post has me worried, especially since it coincides with what the dealer told me when walking around his lot. Told me flat out that if I didn't purchase my travel trailer from them, they wouldn't service it. They service their customers first and if they can fit someone else in they will. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about post sale support - especially when dropping $30k on a home on wheels with only a 1 year warranty.
More than likely no matter what brand you buy you will find issues. I bought FR sunseeker have all warranty work done at an independent dealer no problem.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #24
Dahagen

I bought a new Coachmen Mirada from a now defunct dealer in Mesa Arizona. When I tried to have warranty work done at another MAJOR dealership that carries Coachmen in Mesa and Tuscon, they told me that "if you didn't buy it from us we won't work on it under warranty." I did report it to Coachman and they arranged the repairs at a small independent place.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
This statement is not entirely correct.

There is no evidence that FR "monitors" this Forum.
Some of their employees may, on occasion, and could report to higher ups, about some issue or bad reviews.
This is not entirely true (nor entirely wrong). I started years ago monitoring the forum unofficially. I feel like it has been productive and I have pitched its benefits over and over. I brought this up at a corporate meeting on customer satisfaction and I got an email last week where they were capturing new posts.

So while it still may be unofficial. I think at least they are trying to make it more officially unofficial.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #26

Thanks BC and Joshua for your help on here. Maybe FR by unofficially monitoring these forums will get the clear understanding that most of the complaints are dealer service related. I would think that if a dealer wants to sell FR products they should be held responsible by FR to make sure its a positive buying experience. We love our Sunseeker 2860DS and get many compliments, especially the outdoor kitchen which made my wifes decision to buy it locale. Poor dealer service is another matter though with FR the reason stated as why something isn't right by the dealer. If FR cracked down on its dealers, maybe things would be better for more new RV buyers.. just my 2 cents... I realize its not that cut and dried..

Again thanks for all your help, Its appreciated! and this is a very helpful forum!
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #27

It does seem like an awful lot of issues can be traced back to dealer lack of knowledge or dealer lack of support. I'm not sure what the solution to that is since it seems to be widespread, or maybe just a trait of large RV dealerships everywhere, which is the type dealership FR is primarily hooked up with. In any case, having this forum to discuss things on and shares ideas with other owners is an invaluable aide.
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
This is not entirely true (nor entirely wrong). I started years ago monitoring the forum unofficially. I feel like it has been productive and I have pitched its benefits over and over. I brought this up at a corporate meeting on customer satisfaction and I got an email last week where they were capturing new posts.

So while it still may be unofficial. I think at least they are trying to make it more officially unofficial.
Well, that's some new info.
Maybe someday, FR will assign a rep for each brand here.
Course, not everyone would want to have to deal with angry owners.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #29

I think it's a fine line creating an expectation that this is "officially" monitored which is why they don't say that. But official or not, I appreciate it.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #30

Its nice to be able to get on when on the road to get help with an issue. that's for sure!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #31

You are completely right about the dealer service, and you are completely wrong about being stuck.
You have the right by federal law to go to any dealer of your choice, yes if you are looking for warrenty wrong you will need to go to a FR dealer as they are the only dealers able to be paid from FR.
If you are looking for any other type of work you can go anywhere you can get someone to work on your coach, and many do as they travel all around the country. You need to also realize you can go back to the factory and have service and warranty work done there also.
I hope some of this info helps you out, and keep you chin rving is fun, but you need realize it is a very complicated rolling home on wheels so things will need to be fixed and maintained. So happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #32
Site Team

I know of a couple of members here that contacted FR directly and was provided contacts of other dealers that was willing to work on their unit. It's worth an try.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #33

Talked to the local Ford Dealership here in Kelowna and they say no problem with servicing our Sunseeker. I get my F-150 serviced there and we have no issues

Brandon 2
2014 2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #34

Are you just talking about oil changes and Ford type warranty work. Our SE Washington local Ford dealer won't do any E-450 work. Wont even change the oil. We have to drive to Oregon to get it done or drive 200+ miles to Seattle area. Oregon Dealer is a lot closer. Talked with Ford Corporate about it with no luck. When I was buying the RV the salesman said OH yes the Ford dealer down the street does all the Ford warranty work on the E-450. I never thought on checking on that LOL. So all Ford dealers don't work on the Ford part of the RV. Very few around where we live do!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #35

Thanks everyone...some good ideas

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #36

"Told me flat out that if I didn't purchase my travel trailer from them, they wouldn't service it. They service their customers first and if they can fit someone else in they will. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about post sale support..."
I have the same problem here in the St Pete FL area. My purchase was made in Winter Haven, over an hour away and the local shop ( where I got my popup before the A frame) won't service the A frame.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #37

The local Ford dealer here said they wouldn't service my RV because it wouldn't fit in their shop. Fortunately there is a dealer about 30 miles away that specializes in large Ford trucks and RV's.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #38

That was my BIG mistake when I went to a RV Dealer for warranty work. They offered me to do the oil & filter service on my MBS Sprinter engine. Big mistake, they blew out my engine & starter on first service with just under 10,000 mi. I will only go to a Mercedes Dealer for service in the future.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:02 AM   #39

Similar Dealer in FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymhardy View Post
On that occasion they all but told be I'd get sub-par (and overly expensive) service if I didn't buy the extended warranty, especially when I told them I was going to purchase an off-market one.
I received the same pitch...hi-pressure and almost condescending. This was our very first RV purchase and it really distressed my wife. By far the worst part of our experience up to this point. And yes, we did end up buying the extended warranty. After all, "It isn't a question of if it will break down but when", "Folks in service that don't have an extended warranty are pushed to the bottom of the list", "Repairs would be exorbitantly expensive, even the most simple of jobs". I have never been a fan of extended warranties but was certainly brow-beat into this one. I still have buyer's remorse over this issue... Pretty sad as we were pretty excited about buying our first Forest River.

As others have stated, I don't view this as a reflection of the company...simply the dealership. Heck, they acted like they were giving us the world by selling the trailer at the internet advertised price. No need to go into the crazy mark-ups on the WDH and brake controller.

Not all of it was negative and I do plan on writing a review in time.

Cheers,

Joe
JoBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:52 AM   #40

I guess they all pull the same thing. If there is a way to take the middleman out of my next purchase, I will definitely take it. Dealers add nothing to the process but rising blood pressure and dollars

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS

Tags
service