Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #1

Horrible after sale service

I won't name names in this post because frankly I feel like I have no choice about where to service my brand new MH, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience getting their rig serviced (warranty repair type items) from a FR dealer other than the one they purchased from?

I've head three completely negative service experiences now, but I feel like I have no choice but to keep returning to the same place.

Any observations anyone else can offer?
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

Short answer is you are free to go to any dealership that is authorized for warranty claims through Forest River. It's a manufacturer warranty not a dealership warranty.

Contact Forest River customer support for a list of authorized warranty repair centers around you.

Of course you'll have to drive to them, it's not their fault that your local dealership has poor customer service. Although Forest River might want to know that was well for when the next contract negotiation comes around.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

Good advice...thank you.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Class C Representative

Please Pm the last 5 of your VIN, your issues, The dealer you purchased from, and the dealer you are having service done with.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

I'm in the market for a new Forest River travel trailer. This kind of post has me worried, especially since it coincides with what the dealer told me when walking around his lot. Told me flat out that if I didn't purchase my travel trailer from them, they wouldn't service it. They service their customers first and if they can fit someone else in they will. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about post sale support - especially when dropping $30k on a home on wheels with only a 1 year warranty.
esloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Well, that sounds very familiar, but please don't take it as a reflection on Forest River. I'm thinking this is more of a dealership issue than anything else. I've bought two motorhomes from my dealership, the first one was a 2006 Coachmen. On that occasion they all but told be I'd get sub-par (and overly expensive) service if I didn't buy the extended warranty, especially when I told them I was going to purchase an off-market one.

On one hand, I understand that dealerships want to give priority to their "paying" customers before their other ones, but it felt almost like blood money and a lot of it was in the presentation.

I pitched a major fit with someone higher up at that dealership and basically told them I didn't ever want to deal with the finance person who conveyed this to me.

I would suggest you do some research on Google and just search for the dealership name and "review." Keep in mind that most people with positive comments to make aren't likely to post reviews, so they're going to be primarily negative, you just need to look for trends and how many of them there are.

In terms of buying something with the Forest River brand on it, I've really had nothing but positive dealings with them directly. I've even spoken, at length, with one of their top Sunseeker service people about several issues that were more informational than anything else -- where I just had a couple questions I didn't feel like the dealership could answer. Those two times the gentleman (Mike) spent a lot of time with me on the phone and answered everything I had to ask.

And, as you can see here, FR monitors these forums and gets involved when they need to. I genuinely feel like they want to make sure the customer experience with service mirrors the overall quality of the brand which is high.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymhardy View Post
And, as you can see here, FR monitors these forums and gets involved when they need to. I genuinely feel like they want to make sure the customer experience with service mirrors the overall quality of the brand which is high.
This statement is not entirely correct.

We have a few FR employees, who chose (on their own) to be members here. There are very few brands that have reps as members here.
Rockwood, probably FR's best selling brand, has never had any rep as a Forum member.

There is no evidence that FR "monitors" this Forum.
Some of their employees may, on occasion, and could report to higher ups, about some issue or bad reviews.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

I stand corrected. All I can tell you is my own experience. I would also note that on two occasions I got private messages from staff who did not choose to comment on the public forum.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 09-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:

I've head three completely negative service experiences now, but I feel like I have no choice but to keep returning to the same place.

With our previous trailer we had a couple horrible experiences with the service department where we bought it. I called the next closest dealer, told them issues and that I wasn't happy with the service from the other dealer and asked if they help. This place was a small family outfit and it was the middle of peak season. He said he had some new units to prep for delivery which was top priority and some other service jobs but they would do whatever they could to get it done. Took them 2-3 weeks to get parts and do the job, but I was much happier with the results.

Bottom line - you have nothing to loose calling some other dealers. Be honest - I didn't buy it from you, but now I regret dealing with XXX. Can you help me? Some will, some won't, but there is a good chance you can find a better option than your current one.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
Class C Representative

I can't speak for any other division except Forest River Class C's- specifically sunseeker/Forester/ Formerly Solera and Lexington.

Brian (Now at Dynamax) monitors this page and so do I. We were not mandated by anyone to monitor this forum; we came here by free will just like everyone else. I offer advice when I can, get involved in service issues when needed, and keep people up to date on things going on in the factory.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #11

Wow, this thread makes me really happy with my dealer. I have had minor work done before now with no issues. My Sunseeker is currently in the shop getting the slide out mechanism repaired. But best of all, I bought it used from the dealer back in May. I could not put air in the airbags. Turned out, the prior owner apparently stripped the airbags! But the dealer, without having to do it and without me asking, ordered and installed new bags when they found mine were missing. I am completely happy with them.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
I can't speak for any other division except Forest River Class C's- specifically sunseeker/Forester/ Formerly Solera and Lexington.

Brian (Now at Dynamax) monitors this page and so do I. We were not mandated by anyone to monitor this forum; we came here by free will just like everyone else. I offer advice when I can, get involved in service issues when needed, and keep people up to date on things going on in the factory.

Thanks Joshua (and Brian) for being here. It is even more significant that you do this "on your own". We appreciate you!

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #13

With many Dealers.... cash talks..... (as told to me by three dealers)

warranty work does not 'pay' for their time and trouble in dealing with the manufacturer.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

Now that my one year (it goes quick) is over I can't get warranty work (Good Sam extended) done at my dealer even if I wanted cause they won't do it
I have an Independent RV repair shop that will do all my warranty work through my extended plan
Make a punch list and get what you can done while you can get it done and say good day.
The other beauty of the Indy is they don't need to keep the Unit for weeks or months like the BS the dealers feed you
These people need to work to get paid, So they work and get payed and I'm off camping
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Great point....I need to find one of those independents
Old 09-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #16

You are the type of employee everyone wants.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #17

I bought my Forester 700 Miles from where I live. I found an RV repair shop that does FR warranty work locally. I felt they kept up with FR by calling regarding parts being sent, got tracking numbers, etc. One reason I bought in another state was because local dealers won't negotiate on prices. We're talking they want MSRP. They don't deserve to get my business even if it is warranty work.
Cfritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #18

Quote:
I won't name names in this post because frankly I feel like I have no choice about where to service my brand new MH, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience getting their rig serviced (warranty repair type items) from a FR dealer other than the one they purchased from?

The dealer from whom I bought my Sun Seeker 2500TS, in Hamilton, ON clearly did no PDI. Tires were 40lb under pressure, one hub cap was rotated so that it was not possible to put air in the tire, the Center protrusion of rear hub caps were loose and needed riveting, the two coach batteries were bad, the freshwater in take hose was 4' too long so I could not fill fresh water tank. The dealer actually fixed this latter problem. For other reasons I rather not detail here I was so disgusted with the dealer that I had a local RV dealer fix all the other things at my expense. The dealer from whom I bought the motor home was too far away to make repeated trips there.
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #19

Cfritts- I agree with you. I shopped locally first and their prices were firm(even with cash.) I flew to Iowa and ended up saving $35,000. Well worth the distance.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #20

For the 1st year our dealer was great but in the second year of the warranty, he left a lot to be desired. He did eventually get all the warranty work done but only because we kept after him and only communicated with him through emails so that we had everything documented and in writing. We also got great support from FR. Remember it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service