Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
So use the propane option instead of the electric. Problem solved.

biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
I added my own switch to easily turn on/off the electric heating element.
X2 It makes life so much easier. I put in an illuminated switch so it's a great reminder to turn it off. Hidden outside it's really easy to forget about.

Just a reminder when running on electricity... the indoor water heater switch should be off. Otherwise you're running both the electric and gas burner. Which can be nice if you want hot water fast, but if your trying to conserve your propane, not so desirable.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 AM   #13
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
Like some here going outside to turn on/off the water heater's electric element when you need to run the AC, microwave, and coffee pot didn't work for me. Bending over, opening up the circuit breaker panel and flipping the water heaters breaker to off was only slightly better, but still got old. I added my own switch to easily turn on/off the electric heating element.

This I can explain to my wife on how to turn on/off before she starts to do her hair and trip a breaker I have to go outside in the rain, cold, heat to rest.

Love our Forest River, but they should have more wife's on their design and model approval teams. They should share in some of the pain and blank stairs us husbands live with when explaining how RV systems work and why you can't do "X" in a motorhome like you can in a sticks and bricks.

I challenge any engineer to explain to my wife why the on/off switch has to be outside in a secluded location behind a panel in the morning before she's done her hair or had her coffee!

Suburban water heaters are the problem. FR has now changed to Atwood WH which has electric switch inside along with propane switch.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
RvBill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Yeah after we switched over to Atwood. Suburban came in and said "well hey, we have an option for an inside switch as well".

Hey, awesome to know now that we have switched every print to fit this different sized water heater. And you can contemplate your failure to let us know that, while they get our 85 water heaters a week.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
I would love to install a switch indoors around the kitchen sink area. Is there a kit to do this? I have the 3170, so the heater is to the right of the drawers. I'm assuming it couldn't be too hard to run something like that. I like to do projects myself if I don't think they're over my head. Would you have to splice wires in somewhere on the water heater or would it be a "plug and play" type of thing? I know you can hit the breaker to turn it on and off, but I would rather have a switch in the kitchen.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #16
There is also a circuit breaker labeled elec. water heater located in the WFCO power distribution panel. I use that to turn my electric element on and off versus the switch outside.
We've been quite satisfied with the heating of elec. only for the 3 of us. Seldom use the propane.

bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote

heater, hot water, water, water heater