Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Because the proper term is water heater.

Right, but what good does pointing it out do? I doubt there is a person who wouldn't understand what someone means when they say "hot water heater". It's not like the ability to convey information is changed by the distinction?

I read grammar issues, misspellings, and all sorts of terrible writing in posts. As long as the information is clear- what would I gain by correcting the person? Nothing. I'd just look like a pedantic butthole. Same thing with "water heater" vs. "hot water heater".

Seems pointless.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #22

It's just us old folks that know what proper means!
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Right, but what good does pointing it out do? I doubt there is a person who wouldn't understand what someone means when they say "hot water heater". It's not like the ability to convey information is changed by the distinction?

I read grammar issues, misspellings, and all sorts of terrible writing in posts. As long as the information is clear- what would I gain by correcting the person? Nothing. I'd just look like a pedantic butthole. Same thing with "water heater" vs. "hot water heater".

Seems pointless.
not pointless....I'm trying to get my post count up see the smile...means be happy
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
not pointless....I'm trying to get my post count up see the smile...means be happy

Heh. Fair enough!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 PM   #25

My 2014 came with the Atwood, I run it off power when using the trailer, no point in using the propane.

I find heating hot water redundant.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
My 2014 came with the Atwood, I run it off power when using the trailer, no point in using the propane.

I find heating hot water redundant.

Great picture Ford!
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Seems pointless.
Like saying a refigerating refrigerator or cooling refrigerator, illuminating lights, blowing fans.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 PM   #28
Average Joe

Refrigerator- energy extraction cabinet.
Water heater- thermal injection container.

We could develop new terminology for everything (-:

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #29

please don't say "hose pipe"....like my grandmother use to do...I sure do miss her.

Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #30

Well, heading home shortly. First trip was great. I turned the switch on, and ran my water heater on electric the entire time. No breaker issues at all with a/c (15k), fridge (on electric), and water heater the entire time. I do have a water heater question.

Now that I turned that switch on, if I am not plugged in, and that switch is left on, will the water heater still work off of propane or do I need to turn switch off for that?
desant89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #31

On my rv I have a switch for elect.,and a switch for gas I seldom use gas but keep both switches off if you forget and plug rv in the water heater will burn up if it doesn't have water in it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #32

As said by another, you need to be SURE that the HW heater is turned OFF when you are not using the unit, meaning BOTH elect and propane. Otherwise you will burn up the heater. As I said earlier, since my switch is under the outside cover, I leave the outside switch on and turn the elect off/on using the inside breaker box switch. Propane works REGARDLESS of the electric switch being on or off. I've used BOTH on the occasions when 4 of us were doing back to back showers.
To restate, the answer to your question is the position of the elect switch has NO EFFECT on whether or not the HW works using propane.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #33

I use mine on propane when needed. Turn it on 10 minutes before shower and off after. Don.t use elec. much so I won't forget and leave it on while running AC and have left my dog inside while running to the store.

That is why they make Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream; everyone is different.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #34
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desant89 View Post
Well, heading home shortly. First trip was great. I turned the switch on, and ran my water heater on electric the entire time. No breaker issues at all with a/c (15k), fridge (on electric), and water heater the entire time. I do have a water heater question.

Now that I turned that switch on, if I am not plugged in, and that switch is left on, will the water heater still work off of propane or do I need to turn switch off for that?
Nope need to switch back. One or the other. Love my gas never have to worry going back and forth to systems. Hope you keep water in it or

Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #35

Won't work off of battery but should work from propane if turned on. You can leave elec. switch on all the time and it will work when on shore power again. Don't recommend that though because you could hook to shore power without hooking to water source.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #36

Ok, so the switch inside my coch as soon as I walk in above he fridge that says "hot water" on the control panel. When that is off, if the switch on the heater itself outside is on, it will still heat water using electric if I am plugged in? Just double checking. I thought that switch inside cancels all water heating no matter which method is used.
desant89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #37

That is the PROPANE switch ONLY. IF you have an elect on/off switch (as I do on a 2nd RV, a Montana 5th wheel) it will say "gas" under one and "DSI" (for direct service ignition) under the other. If you have only ONE switch inside, it is the PROPANE DSI switch and has absolutely NO effect on whether the electrical ignition of propane is on/off. To control the electricity you MUST turn off the electrical service to the tank. On my sunseeker, that is a switch on the HW tank, accessed from the outside by removing the cover, OR throwing the inside breaker to the HW heater (my choice - easier access and I can see it without going outside).
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #38

On the motor home with Suburban water heater :

Both switches on with shore power = both heating

Either switch on with shore power = either heating

Both switches on without shore power = propane heating

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater