Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Our sabre has both switches inside as well.
So I guess I have been doing things wrong as well. On my previous camper, I was told to turn on the outside switch and never touch it again. Do not recall but there must have been 2 switches inside in inside control panel and everything was controlled from there. I ass-umed that the lighted switch labeled tank heater was the electric side of water heater thus controlling the outside switch. WRONG??? I know the DSI is the gas switch. I guess the tank heater switch must be for uhhh......TANK HEATERS!!!??? Please correct me if i am wrong and I'll just laugh at my self. No matter how hard I try I haven't mastered the art of kicking myself in the rear. Steve
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #22

The outside switch is the only control for the electric element on the water heater. As you likely know, make sure there is water in the heater before turning this on, as the element will burn out almost immediately if not immersed in water.

Inside on the control panel is a switch to turn on the gas element on the water heater. This can be used instead of the electric or in addition to it for a faster recovery time.

The control panel also may have a switch for tank heaters (an option). These are heating pads glued to the bottom of the black and gray holding tanks. Even with the switch on, they have thermostats that turn them off at about 45 degrees. The tanks should have at least some liquid in them if the heating pads are turned on. (The tank heaters may be referred to as "Arctic Pack" on some control panels.)
Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #23

Many of us leave the switch on the heater ON and turn the electric part of the heater on and off using the circuit breaker in the RV.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #24
Infractee

Hot Water Heater??

Must be one of those super expensive luxury edition MH, even the hot water gets heated!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #25
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Hot Water Heater??

Must be one of those super expensive luxury edition MH, even the hot water gets heated!
A common mistake - it's been mentioned before.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
A common mistake - it's been mentioned before.
Just being snarky, meant no offense.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #27

The dual system works great on below freezing nights. I can turn the electric switch off and let the water drip at night and still turn on the gas from inside for the morning shower. The furnace heating up the underbelly doesn't work except for temps down to about 27. Below that, my hot water line will freeze unless left dripping.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #28
B47

Quote:
Just being snarky, meant no offense.
No offense taken - the only offense I have is you didn't answer my PM the other day.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
So I guess I have been doing things wrong as well. On my previous camper, I was told to turn on the outside switch and never touch it again. Do not recall but there must have been 2 switches inside in inside control panel and everything was controlled from there. I ass-umed that the lighted switch labeled tank heater was the electric side of water heater thus controlling the outside switch. WRONG??? I know the DSI is the gas switch. I guess the tank heater switch must be for uhhh......TANK HEATERS!!!??? Please correct me if i am wrong and I'll just laugh at my self. No matter how hard I try I haven't mastered the art of kicking myself in the rear. Steve
This will help on the last sentence! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1074.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	45856  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #30
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
No offense taken - the only offense I have is you didn't answer my PM the other day.

Hmmm, I do not have a PM from you. I did just delete all the stuff from my inbox a few days ago as it was overstuffed, it is possible it got caught up in the delete carnage...
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #31
B47

Quote:
Hmmm, I do not have a PM from you. I did just delete all the stuff from my inbox a few days ago as it was overstuffed, it is possible it got caught up in the delete carnage...
I'll send another.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #32

Man, now I'm lost. I turn on/off a switch in the fuse box. Thought that is the electric. Not even sure about gas side. Three is nothing in my control panel for either.
Due to projected temps in 20s tonight, I drained water at low drains and removed the heating element. (First time for me). I plan on closing low drain points, putting new element in, then turning on water. After reading these comments, I will do this before plugging in to electric.
I will explore the 'using both' aspect.
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
Man, now I'm lost. I turn on/off a switch in the fuse box. Thought that is the electric. Not even sure about gas side. Three is nothing in my control panel for either.
Due to projected temps in 20s tonight, I drained water at low drains and removed the heating element. (First time for me). I plan on closing low drain points, putting new element in, then turning on water. After reading these comments, I will do this before plugging in to electric.
I will explore the 'using both' aspect.
Your "switch" panel should have the gas switch.
This one shows both gas and electric.
On some models you have a single lighted rocker switch.

TURBS

oc's buddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391690272868.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	45864  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #34

I am not at my RV, but I honestly don't recall either of these on that panel. I use the switch inside the breaker box for elec., I thought. I'll have to google it. It is a V-Lite 30wfkss.
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote