Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Hot water help

Can anyone tell me how to get the water heater going in my 3170? Does it run off of generator or propane? Tried to get hot water today, but just had battery disconnect switch on. Thanks

Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

If you are not plugged into a 110v outlet then you need to have the battery connected and propane on.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

Hot water help

First and foremost be sure that your water heater is full of water. If not you will damage it in seconds. Turn on your hot water taps and make sure water flows thru and air is purged.

Second, what kind of water heater do you have? Atwood or suburban?

Some water heaters run on propane only and some on propane and 120v electric or both. Regardless of type or brand you should be able to start it on propane as follows

1. Make sure the propane valve outside at the tank is open
2. Battery switch on for electronic ignition of propane flame
3. Turn on the water heater gas switch on your inside control panel

If you let me know the brand and type of water heater you have, I can give you more specific details.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

To make sure you have water in the water heater, flip the pressure relief valve on the water heater itself. Just turning the taps on does not mean the tank is full if the bypass valve is in the bypass mode for winterizing.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
To make sure you have water in the water heater, flip the pressure relief valve on the water heater itself. Just turning the taps on does not mean the tank is full if the bypass valve is in the bypass mode for winterizing.

Good point. I didn't consider that it could be on bypass.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #6

Mine's a Suburban water heater and runs on elec. or propane or both at the same time. There's a switch on my water heater in the bottom left hand corner behind the panel outside. My routine has me turning the switch on during setup once elec. is connected and I've confirmed the water heaters full by flipping the pressure relief valve. During tear down I turn the switch off.

If I dont have elec. then I turn on the propane tank and after ensuring the water heaters full I turn on the red lighted propane switch located inside the trailer. I usually turn the switch off during the night or if we're away. Again, during tear down I turn the red lighted propane switch off......Note: On mine once the tank is successfully heating on propane the light goes out. If the light stays then the tank isn't lit for some reason and will need some investigating to determine the cause. Sometimes just a retry is all that's required.

2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water