Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou
Oh! One more thing

AGM vs Wet Cell.

AGM is more expensive and has less AH for a similarly sized battery.

HOWEVER, they are sealed and do not leak electrolyte to ruin the floor pan of the battery box or camper. NO maintenance. AT ALL.

Just replaced my trucks batteries with AGMs and I won't look back.
When it comes time to replace my two DC-24s in the camper, I will be putting 2 AGMs in there.

I REALLY like these. They are what I am using with my sump pumps.

Free Shipping too!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #22
Kevin...the REASON most recommendations here are for a pair of 6V golf cart batteries is that they are sold at Sams and Costco at VERY attractive prices whereas TRUE 12V deep cycle batteries are not...and tend to be more expensive. Given the same amp hours...and the same price in a two battery set up...I would choose 12V every time because your coach can run on ONE...if one fails...not so with 6V.
That said...the price difference usually makes 6V the choice.

I would NOT make the investment of 2-3x the price in AGM's unless it is worth it to you :
1.Not to have to water them OR
2. If you store your batteries for months at a time or over the winter and don't want to charge them. AGM's will lose 1-2% per month vs. 10x that much for wet cells in storage. In VERY cold climates well below zero...they are less likely to freeze in storage.
3. You boondock a lot and have a big charger and generator and want to charge your batteries in half the time or LESS than comparable wet cells.
4. Installation space requires you to lie your batteries on their side.

The downside is price AND they don't have as many life cycles as wet cells of similar design... maybe 10% less. They need to be 100% charged on the recharge cycle and don't like being left on trickle/float charge or life will be further shortened.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote