Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

How Cold Is Too Cold?

Supposed to get a cold snap here tonight (Cincinnati).

Here's what the three TV stations are saying:
- Freeze Warnings & Frost Advisories. Mostly clear & cold. Low: 35
- FREEZE WATCH... Becoming mostly clear and cold with areas of frost likely by early Monday morning. Low: 33
- There is a Frost Advisory posted for Cincinnati, and communities south of the river and a Freeze Warning for communities north of Cincinnati tonight. Temperatures will drop into the mid to lower 30s overnight, with mainly clear skies.

We are one county north of Cincinnati so we might be slightly colder.

The Sunseeker is a in a storage lot. The fresh, gray, & black tanks are drained. Hot water heater has water in it. And there's water in the pump, lines, drains, etc.

We are still planning two more trips later this month.

Not sure if I should be concerned. I figure the unit has some basic insulating element to it. I also figure that it would need to be a solid freezing temp for awhile versus just a few hours overnight.

I won't be able to winterize today.

Do I let it sit as is & cross my fingers? Or should I bring it back to the driveway, plug it in, set the furnace for something like 40, open under sink cupboards, turn on the water heater to warm that, etc?

Thanks!
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

I have my fingers crossed, I'm winterizing today and it got to freezing last night.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
...Do I let it sit as is & cross my fingers? Or should I bring it back to the driveway, plug it in, set the furnace for something like 40, open under sink cupboards, turn on the water heater to warm that, etc?
Thanks!
It's a gamble, but why take a chance that the weatherman misses and it get a lot colder?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Supposed to get a cold snap here tonight (Cincinnati).

Here's what the three TV stations are saying:
- Freeze Warnings & Frost Advisories. Mostly clear & cold. Low: 35
- FREEZE WATCH... Becoming mostly clear and cold with areas of frost likely by early Monday morning. Low: 33
- There is a Frost Advisory posted for Cincinnati, and communities south of the river and a Freeze Warning for communities north of Cincinnati tonight. Temperatures will drop into the mid to lower 30s overnight, with mainly clear skies.

We are one county north of Cincinnati so we might be slightly colder.

The Sunseeker is a in a storage lot. The fresh, gray, & black tanks are drained. Hot water heater has water in it. And there's water in the pump, lines, drains, etc.

We are still planning two more trips later this month.

Not sure if I should be concerned. I figure the unit has some basic insulating element to it. I also figure that it would need to be a solid freezing temp for awhile versus just a few hours overnight.

I won't be able to winterize today.

Do I let it sit as is & cross my fingers? Or should I bring it back to the driveway, plug it in, set the furnace for something like 40, open under sink cupboards, turn on the water heater to warm that, etc?

Thanks!
It sounds like you will be alright, as long as it will not stay below 32 for days, I live in Virginia and that's about our normal winter temps. I have never winterized, if we were in a cold snap for over 3 days a small heater worked fine. If you are worried I would bring it home and put a small heater on like you posted. put a bowl of water out and check in the morning, I do not think it would be frozen solid. Also remember that things are enclosed so you will not be getting direct wind on it. You can also put a piece of insulation over the door area of the water heater to keep the wind out.........
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

We are having the same weather here in the St. Louis area. I am not worried. It was 50 today and will be tomorrow. A few hours near freezing will not be a problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm just north of Dayton, OH. I'm not worried about it getting cold enough to freeze my lines. It's not going to get cold enough to freeze tonight. Frost warnings only here.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
Experienced Newbie

We had freeze warnings in the Detroit area last night. When I woke up this morning, my indoor/outdoor thermometer said it was 31*. It was probably below freezing for a few hours but I'm glad I winterized a couple weeks ago anyways.

Now I just need to do the final intensive cleaning and it'll be set for the long nap.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #8

It takes a lot more then frost warnings, and temps around 32 to freeze your lines, unless the temps all day and night are running at 32 for several days. With the temps in the 50's during the day you'll be fine. I've camped with temps down to 26 at night and only issue us water hose freeze up and even then it wasn't froze solid. In fact we're in OH camping right now and the temps only went down to 34.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote