Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
GM

There is a booster...there is always a booster.

It's either a white plate with a 12v outlet on it (little black button on the side that is the on/off for the booster). (doubt you have this)

If you have a switch box then it is boosted internally within the switch box there is typically a 12v power lead going into it.

Some of the older switch boxes had an on/off button in the front (left side). the new ones do not...they allow for more inputs (so not all are boosted...aka satellite input)

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, I think we are getting to the bottom of this. (Remember, 3170 Sunseeker with Entertainment Center instead of overhead bunk)

I DO have a white plate with a 12 volt outlet, but guess what, it's in the dining area. And, this white plate with 12 volt outlet does NOT have a black switch.

Yes, I have the switch box. What I'm reading from your answer is that I cannot ever remove the switch box, right? Because if I remove the switch box, I have no booster! The 12 volt outlet is located down in the floor area of the dinette. Would be difficult to wire in a booster from there..... would it?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #13

I would also like to ask, for Brian, are there any signal-flow diagrams or manufacturer website for this switch box? Any user instruction manual? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
GM

DXSMac. Yes, that is a white plate with 12v...but it does not have the ever important "black button". It would be a white 12v outlet plate with a black button and light on it. It would be mounted in the front overhead or the cabinet where the TV mounts. I highly doubt you would have this. My other questions would be, why you would need to remove the switch box? It does serve a purpose. If you found that the 90 degree plugs were causing the interference, then I guess what is the issue now?

As for switch box diagram, osgood was nice enough to post that. Along with a video page 1) of his hook up.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...y-43982-2.html
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 08-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #15

Brian, thanks for the link!

JJ, maybe part of the concern was wanting to make sure that the "booster" was on. Rest assured that it is or you wouldn't have the blue lights that you've come to love. (BTW, there's supposed to be a switch on the side of the blue-light box; does that not turn the lights off?)

Here's a couple of good things the switch box is giving you that you wouldn't have with just the traditional booster switch:
1) Ability to watch DVD on remote TVs.
2) Ability to watch OTA programs on one TV and Cable/Sat programs on another TV (and DVD on a third).
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

I'm not looking to remove it NOW. Just "future reference." However I really don't like the switchbox. I would, at some point, like to take it out, but if I do, I think the MagnaDyne won't work and I would have to buy DVD players for my front and rear TV. (The middle TV in the computer zone is independent, thank god, It's not on the switchbox, it's on the Jensen stereo under it.)

I watched OS's video (thanks, I was looking for it), but it doesn't really help my situation. I have wooden cross bars on top and below the 32 inch front TV. I cannot get my hand under the TV to fuss with the rubber feet. I can't seem to "wiggle" the TV up, but I think I'm being wussy because I fear I will drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Brian, thanks for the link!

JJ, maybe part of the concern was wanting to make sure that the "booster" was on. Rest assured that it is or you wouldn't have the blue lights that you've come to love. (BTW, there's supposed to be a switch on the side of the blue-light box; does that not turn the lights off?)

Here's a couple of good things the switch box is giving you that you wouldn't have with just the traditional booster switch:
1) Ability to watch DVD on remote TVs.
2) Ability to watch OTA programs on one TV and Cable/Sat programs on another TV (and DVD on a third).
Yes, I do have a switch to turn off the blue lights, I have discovered you don't need the lights on to actually watch TV. This has improved my "watching TV in bed at night before I go to sleep" thing.

Ok Barry, you are right about the advantages of the switch box. However, all that got nullified when I worked at an RV park last winter that had COMCAST cable. Comcast (I've been to TWO parks that had this!) requires a converter box to watch their cable. You have to check out the converter box from the RV park. Technically, you have to have one converter box for each TV. The one park where I stayed for awhile let you have two at no charge, but the third one cost you a refundable deposit. Not a big deal, but.....

Anyway, one of my friends figured out that you could put ONE converter box BEHIND the switchbox, and that way all three TV's would work. BUt!!!!! you were stuck watching the same channel on all three TV's, you couldn't have them on different channels. Not a problem, I'm solo. (But I did discover you could watch Cable on one TV and a DVD on the other TV because of the switchbox.... even with the additional silly Comcast box) Also, .... on Comcast's web site (or somewhere I read this.....) I read that you really weren't supposed to do this (put ONE Comcast converter box BEHIND the switchbox) because you risked too much... something.... and would damage the box. Well, I did it anyway, and nothing happened.....

Ok, I agree with you on the reasons for the switchbox, but there are times I wish I didn't have the switchbox.

Oh, to BC, I'm so happy my RV came with all three TV's being Jensen. I've been pleased with them so far, cross my fingers.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
If you have a switch box then it is boosted internally within the switch box there is typically a 12v power lead going into it.
Ok, Brian, I'm now skeptical of this answer. I have three TV's. The Computer Zone TV is independent, it's NOT connected to the switch box. I just checked. I looked at the switchbox and there are coax's for the front and rear TV, but not the computer zone TV.

So.... if the "booster" is in the switchbox, how is the signal getting "boosted" to the Computer Zone TV?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #18
GM

if the computer zone TV has coax it is connected to the system, one way or another.

If you say there are only (2) coax cables coming out of the switch box, then at some point the powered antenna lead is getting split somewhere. The computer zone TV should be able to get over the air channels.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Love My Sunseeker

The Computer Zone TV does get over the air, that's the one where I removed the 90 degree connector and got more channels. Plus, I get the channels better on that TV than I do the front TV, probably due to it's smaller size. Plus, I don't have to use the "switchbox" to watch DVD's on the middle TV. It's connected to the Jensen stereo below it. I just use the remote to change to DVD, put a DVD in the Jensen, and there I go. And because this TV isn't connected to the MagnaDyne, I get a much better picture on the DVD than I do on the other two TV's.

And I know I posted this on another thread, but on the front and rear TV, which are both connected to the MagnaDyne, in order to watch DVD's you have to either:

A. Mute the TV and use the MagnaDyne sound
or
B. Mute the MagnaDyne and use the TV sound

If you have both on, you get interference.

Thank you, Brian. I guess I just have a need to know how all this is connected. Down to the last wire.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
GM

I always mute the TV sound anyway. When I play over the air channels, I run that through the Magnadyne. (Video on the Facebook page).

The center TV does have a dedicated DVD. We designed it that way.

Right now, the Magnadyne feeds the switch box and that is then converted to coax which feeds the other TV's (have to turn to channel 3 or 4 and scan to see DVD signal).

What I would recommend (and that's how we're wiring it now). Red/White/Yellow out of Magnadyne into DVD IN on switch box. I would then run Red/White/Yellow from DVD OUT on switch box to AV1 on front TV.

You will get a much cleaner signal than trying to turn the TV to 3 and using the coax feed. Then, the only TV that is getting converted is the bedroom TV if you have one.

So on the front TV...you would have to be on AIR to get over the air channels and then be on AV1 to get the DVD signal.

Middle TV is stand alone. No issues there.

Bedroom TV: that would still use the switch box, but I for me personally. I can't tell you the last time I watched a DVD. With Netflix and dish on demand and every other option. Just don't want a lot of DVD's. Kids do...but then I have a dedicated DVD player for that purpose.