Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

How do you get to cable connection behind the Entertainment Center?

I have a 3170 Class C with the Entertainment Center. How do you get to the cable connection? It's buried behind a hole through a cabinet in the Entertainment Center. Do I have to take down the 32 inch TV? I'm too "skeered" to do that!

The reason I want to see the cable connection is for two issues:

1. I want to check and see if I have an antenna booster. I have the JACK antenna, and BClemens said in another post that JACKS have their own booster. Well, I "googled" and discovered some Jacks still require a booster. I have the JACK with the "light box" on the ceiling (the one that keeps you awake at nights, although I did find out that you can don't need it on to watch TV....)

2. I want to find the "splitter." I have 3 TV's and a switchbox. My middle TV (computer zone/kids zone) does not get all the "over the air" channels that my other two TV's get. When I was 60 miles north of Bismarck, ND, my front and rear TV got PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. My middle TV did not get CBS for some reason. CBS was a bit of a "weak" channel. Right now I'm two inches from Canada and three feet from Minnesota. My front and rear TV's are getting ABC, FOX, CW and one Canadian Channel. My middle TV only gets FOX, I can't get the other channels. On the other hand, FOX is a strong channel here, the others are "weak" and fade in and out. Someone on another post suggested that I might have a bad "splitter." I want to find the "splitter" that's connected to the switchbox.

So, how do I get to the connection spot? Do I got to take down the TV? I'm hesitant to do that!

I should add that all three of my TV's, including the front one, are JENSEN 12 volts. I've been pleased with the JENSEN brand and glad the TV's are 12 volt.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Love My Sunseeker

Did some googling, and apparently, you are NOT supposed to use both a booster with a FULL INSTALLATION of the JACK. You can do a "partial" installation and use the booster.

http://www.jacktv4free.com/images/20...k_02-25-11.pdf

So, hopefully I do NOT have a booster on my cable face plate.

But, I still need to find the signal splitter. How do I get to it?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

Well well well. I just solved my middle TV problem with a VERY UNORTHODOX solution.

I'm in North Dakota right now, 2 inches from the Canadian border and 3 feet from Minnesota border (ok, I'm exaggerating....) All three of my TV's are Jensen. I'm able to get five channels (4 American, 1 Canadian) on front and back TV, but for some reason all I can get on middle TV is ONE channel. Someone on another post suggested a bad "splitter."

Just for kicks, I pulled the TV off the wall (it's on a slide mount, just slide it out), and discovered the Coax cable was connected to a 90 degree connector piece, probably to make the cable lay easier and not have to "bend" in the small enclosed space. I pulled off the 90 degree connector, put the cable straight in, rescanned, and VIOLA, I got SIX channels. I picked up a second Canadian channel on the middle TV. Don't know why that 90 degree connector was the problem but apparently it was..... And the cable is ok in the small enclosed space, doesn't have to "bend" much.....

So, I pulled the 90 degree connector off my rear TV, rescanned, and also picked up the additional Canadian Channel. However, my rear TV was working fine before.

But I still don't know how to get the front one (the 32 inch) off the wall. I'm too "skeered" to mess with that one!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

That's the second story I've heard about those 90 degree connectors being bad. Good for you!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
GM

The JACK antenna comes with its own booster and attenuator (methinks) that is part of the blue light thing. Power it up and looks for blue bars.

Front TV should slide up and off. Should be the same mount as the 3010 (Which I think OZ posted a video of). Its a keyhole slot.

Good to know about the 90 degree connectors.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

Yeppers, my JACK has the separate "light box" that keeps you awake at night. (I think it's called a "SureLock.") You're right, THAT is the "booster." There is an antennuator on the SureLock. I have discovered you don't need to leave it on after you scan for channels. But if you have a weak channel, turning it on MAY or MAY NOT help. Something else I discovered from different finding manuals online. You turn it clockwise all the way BEFORE you scan for channels. Then, counterclockwise after you get the channels to "lock them in." It just seems backwards to me, but ok..........

I kind of thought the TV was on a keyhole slot, but I'm still too "skeered" to lift it up.

Strange how a 90 degree connector, which is just metal and nothing else, caused problems in scanning channels......

Thanks, BC!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #7

Sorry, but I really don't think that "blue-light box" on your ceiling is the amplifier control. Look at the specs on this web page.
It clearly states that there is a flush-mounted wall plate to power the amplifier, and there is a link for an "image" of it at the bottom.

Assuming you have a "Park Cable" input on your RV, you have to have the traditional "booster control" to switch between Cable and "OTA". I know for a fact that there is no connection for "Park Cable" on the blue-light box.

Your TV should have a coax connection from the booster plate? Where does that coax from your TV go to?

Edit: Obviously I should have read what you posted first! It looks like there was an older OA-8000 that could be used with a "power injector". Do you see that thing plugged in somewhere? Can you tell what model of Jack you have?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Love My Sunseeker

Can't tell what the model is. All I got for an "owners manual" was a photo copy of what apparently was the "spec tag." Gives directions how to tune it. Except my "photo copy" is rather "vague" on how to use the antenuator. It just says, "use antenuator to fine tune." Um...... HOW? I had to "google" for specifics on that.

That's why I have gotten conflicting information from "googling." The web site with spec information that you show is confusing, I had seen that before. I had to do more googling to understand this. You only need the Booster if you DON'T get the blue light box (SureLock). If you get the blue light box (SureLock), you DON'T need the booster. Before the "SureLock," you had to turn, scan, turn, scan, turn, scan, until you got the most channels. The SureLock is supposed to mitigate this. I have found that sometimes I still have to "turn, scan, turn, scan" and sometimes I have gotten the MOST channels with the LEAST amount of lights. That happened to me 60 miles north of Bismarck, ND. Now I'm up in the NE corner of ND. I have 6 channels, but five of them fade in and out. No signal in daytime, but I get them at night. (According to AntennaWeb.org, I'm only supposed to get TWO channels.) Only FOX from Fargo is consistent.

Also, from what I understand from "googling" (and they can't put it on the internet if it's not true..... LOL!) you can do a "partial" install of the JACK if you still have the booster, so that way you can still use your booster. If you do a FULL install, you CANNOT use your booster. Conflicts that will cause problems.

As for where the faceplate of the cable input is.... I have the Entertainment Center. All the cables disappear into a hole in the cabinetry. I cannot figure out how to get to the cable connection. Unless I take the front TV off, which I'm too "skeered" to do. (I found OS's directions on his 3010, but my TV is tight against the wall!) This is my first time with an Entertainment Center. I like having the 32 inch TV, but I'm not liking the fact that I can't get to the cable connection.

Another thing I have discovered...... If the channel signal is "weak," running the microwave or the overhead fans seems to interfere with the TV signal. Also, if you have a MiFi Hotspot "thingie," don't put it near any of the TV's. Seems to interfere. I had a heck of a time trying to find a spot in my RV for my MiFi that was near a plug in but not near a TV.

Lastly, when they installed my JACK, apparently the turning mechanism has to be right under it. Well, they should have moved my JACK another four inches forward. The turn thingie is located right in front of one of my cabinet doors, and I cannot open that cabinet door because of it. Obviously, someone was focused on ONE thing and not seeing the whole picture.......

The more I learn about the JACK, the more I'm liking it, but at first I was not too happy!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #9

You said:
"You only need the Booster if you DON'T get the blue light box (SureLock). If you get the blue light box (SureLock), you DON'T need the booster."

I would like to know where you read that. Here are the installation instructions that say you must use the power inserter plate (booster control) along with the Surelock.

You said:
"Also, from what I understand from "googling" (and they can't put it on the internet if it's not true..... LOL!) you can do a "partial" install of the JACK if you still have the booster, so that way you can still use your booster. If you do a FULL install, you CANNOT use your booster. Conflicts that will cause problems."

This is from the model 8000 sheet you linked us to. It is saying that you can't use BOTH their "power inserter" shown in the pictures AND an existing Booster Control (like from an old Winegard instlation). So to do a "partial install", don't use the old-style "power inserter" they show there.

There has to be power to the Jack from somewhere. It isn't wired into the blue-light box so either you have a power-inserter somewhere or you have a "booster control" wall plate. Note that the "Surelock" box on the 8000 you linked to is a stand-alone thing and not the blue-light box that you have, so you do not have the model 8000.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
You said:
"You only need the Booster if you DON'T get the blue light box (SureLock). If you get the blue light box (SureLock), you DON'T need the booster."

I would like to know where you read that. Here are the installation instructions that say you must use the power inserter plate (booster control) along with the Surelock.
I basically extrapolated that. This web site from Camping world indicates that the amplifier is "built in" JACK Digital HDTV Antenna System - White - King Controls OA8200 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World Also, there is a switch on the SureLock.

But then the installation guide http://www.kingcontrols.com/userfile...2011-11-10.pdf indicates that you can turn it on at the Sure Lock and at the Booster site. So, that makes your point that you still need a booster switch. Aw crap!

Ok, now I'm back to my original question. HOW DO I GET TO THE CABLE CONNECTION TO SEE IF THERE IS A BOOSTER SWITCH? My three TV's are all connected to a "switch box." I don't like this. I wish I didn't have the switch box.