Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

How do you use your cab-over space?

I'll be taking delivery of a new class C soon. Since it's just me and the DW and we get along(most of the time), I have no intention of using the cab-over space as a bed. I have a couple ideas on how to utilize the space, but I imagine a lot of the use will be determined by how much stuff I can put elsewhere.

I was wondering how others have used the space and what mods, if any, you've done. Let me hear from you. Thanks
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #2

I use for the lawn chairs, and my hat!! I have so much other space I don't really use it for to much. Maybe extra pillows.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #3

We keep soft things such as comforters, pillows, sheets, sleeping bags etc just in case they fall

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

I took out the foam and plywood that folds up so now it is a flat surface for storage of extra clothes, pillows, sleeping bag and what ever else we need to store.
Days Camped 2014. 89
DangerCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
2012 Solera

X2 on soft bulky stuff storage. After a couple of sleeping bag drops added a coarse bungy cord "spider web " to keep the stuff from falling out.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

We opted for the Entertainment system since we really had no use for an overhead bunk. Still cannot fill up the storage spaces behind the two doors on the sides of the TV.
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #7

we are planning on putting some plastic
drawers up there. Will hold it with
some webbing.

Phelpo
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #8

It goes without saying I suppose, but we stowed a heavy box up there once, thinking the soft mattress would prevent slipping about - WRONG! and I had the bump to prove it.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #9

Smile

Our overhead space is used for temp storage of sleeping stuff and then at night for sleeping.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #10

I leave mine flipped open since I only run the house A/C and the genny. If it's closed, or down, the guys driving (me) doesn't get cool air.

I find the genny uses less gas than running the cab A/C. It also keeps the load off the engine.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I leave mine flipped open since I only run the house A/C and the genny. If it's closed, or down, the guys driving (me) doesn't get cool air.

I find the genny uses less gas than running the cab A/C. It also keeps the load off the engine.

We purchased our new 3010ds 2 months ago. I did not realize you can drive while running the generator. Is there any thing special I need to do besides turning on the generator and A/C before driving?
chucknviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknviv View Post
We purchased our new 3010ds 2 months ago. I did not realize you can drive while running the generator. Is there any thing special I need to do besides turning on the generator and A/C before driving?
You for sure can. I fire ours up before leaving home or camp and run it the whole way.
Takes a huge load off the trucks engine to not have its A/C running, I think the generator uses about 1 gallon of fuel per hour no doubt that's a lot less than what the engine uses to cool the cab.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
You for sure can. I fire ours up before leaving home or camp and run it the whole way.
Takes a huge load off the trucks engine to not have its A/C running, I think the generator uses about 1 gallon of fuel per hour no doubt that's a lot less than what the engine uses to cool the cab.
Great idea. I had read that you can do that but wasn't sure. I will be towing a trailer with mine so any extra HP I can save for towing will be worth it.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #14

The genny only burns .6 gal per hour at half load. Once the compressor is running the ac typically only draws 12 amps, just slightly less than half load. Our gennys are really rated at 33 amps , but it's fused for 30 amps.

If it's below 90 degrees outside we can get by with just running the house air. Summer time in Texas means we've got to run both the house air and cab air to stay cool.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #15

I'm not sure how we got on generators when the original topic was overhead storage, but thanks for everyone's input anyway.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote