Old 11-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #1

How much weight can be added to dinette slide?

As a newbie, we are getting our 2017 2800qs packed for our first long trip. We have a lot of stuff we are taking to our kids home about 1000 miles from here. How much weight can be added onto a slide and still be safe to move the slide in and out at night and in the morning? We want to drop the table down and put boxes of goods in the slide. I am guessing it would be between 150 to 250 pounds.

Another option would be to take the boxes out, move the slide out and then put the boxes back for the night.Then repeat the process in the morning.

Tom C 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
2014 SunSeeker 2300

I have really no idea but I would move the boxes off first then slide it out. Most of the these slide motors barely have enough power to move the slide in many cases. The added weight is just more wear and tear on everything that moves. My two cents.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #3

I agree with AWilson. Slides are not designed for hauling freight and are often minimally powered. I would try to move the weight elsewhere while moving the slide. You are risking a lot of money and frustration if it goes wrong. Do you want to risk having to manually retract a slide while 500 miles from home?
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
We knew of a couple that had a trailer and the loaded a lot of extra items on the storage. Not sure, but probably in the 200-300 pound range and as they pulled the slides in and out it scratched the floor. Appeared to me to perhaps be the screws mounting the dining table to the floor.

We generally try to add items like that in the middle - to the rear of the island, but I don't know what your floor plan is like.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017 & 2018: 834 ~ Nights Camping 2019: 75
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
I have really no idea but I would move the boxes off first then slide it out. Most of the these slide motors barely have enough power to move the slide in many cases. The added weight is just more wear and tear on everything that moves. My two cents.
I guess that would depend on what the power source is. Electric motors or hydraulic. The force produced by the hydraulics, 300lbs wouldn't even put much of a strain on the pump.
Now it's going to put extra strain on the rails and guides and would or could lead to premature wear and tear.
TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I guess that would depend on what the power source is. Electric motors or hydraulic. The force produced by the hydraulics, 300lbs wouldn't even put much of a strain on the pump.

I agree but that would not change the flex in the floor or the wear and tear on the rollers or slides depending on the apparatus used to convey the slide. Once something drags across across the floor and leaves a gouge... well, you canít unring that bell.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #7

I'd agree. We do pack on our slides, but we also try to keep it to a minimum and I try to keep it balanced with the heavy stuff at the leading edge and not on the backside of the slide. I was the unfortunate witness as to how much power the hydraulic slides have. We had large can of beans escape it's storage space and hide behind one of the slides. I missed it before extending the slide and lets just say...I spent about 5 hrs repairing the support frame on the slide inside the trailer .
Old 11-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
I'd agree. We do pack on our slides, but we also try to keep it to a minimum and I try to keep it balanced with the heavy stuff at the leading edge and not on the backside of the slide. I was the unfortunate witness as to how much power the hydraulic slides have. We had large can of beans escape it's storage space and hide behind one of the slides. I missed it before extending the slide and lets just say...I spent about 5 hrs repairing the support frame on the slide inside the trailer .

Lol! I crushed our Dish remote behind ours AND when moving some boxes on the slide I ruined the floor covering. The price of education these days. Soon after our two year old camper had leak from the hot water tank from improper installation at the factory. Ruined the flooring and subfloor but to the factoryís credit they replaced it all under warranty. Get this, the fittings were slathered in silicone without any Teflon tape. None, nada.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
Lol! I crushed our Dish remote behind ours AND when moving some boxes on the slide I ruined the floor covering. The price of education these days. Soon after our two year old camper had leak from the hot water tank from improper installation at the factory. Ruined the flooring and subfloor but to the factoryís credit they replaced it all under warranty. Get this, the fittings were slathered in silicone without any Teflon tape. None, nada.
Some of the shortcuts I've seen in these trailers...it's scary sometimes. I redid my main LP gas line underneath to make room for spare tire and found two joints that didn't have pipe compound on them.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:

Some of the shortcuts I've seen in these trailers...it's scary sometimes. I redid my main LP gas line underneath to make room for spare tire and found two joints that didn't have pipe compound on them.

I know what you mean. I had an Airstream years ago that I thought was the crem de la crem of campers. Same thing. Gas leak on the underside. I had a plumber friend fix it for me. Itís the quality of people that are available. So many seem to think you should be happy they even came in to work because many donít. I have learned with my own company that more pay does not equate to better employees. I think pride in your work and a sense of accomplishment needs to be taught in a class called life 101.

Tags
slide, weight