Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

How to fill fresh water when boon docking

I am new to the Class C family and have a question. We have carried fresh water cans to fill our fresh water tank when we are in a CG without HU's. I see the Class C has a hose connection for filling the fresh water, so does that mean I can only fill by hose, which means I have to pick everything up and drive to the city water connection? I guess what the 5vr had was a gravity fill, which I think may be a better option for those of us who like to stay beyond our tanks capacity.

I am sure someone out there has figured out how to do this and your advice and experience would truly be appreciated.
bayoubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

Buy a RV water pump, fittings and a 4 way connector for your MH.

Put it together like this.

You can still use your water cans.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #3

don't know what model you have and what plumbing features it has. if you have an outside shower you can use it and your winterizing intake. you will need to make up one additional hose to do this. take the shower head off the hose of the outside shower and open the cold faucet. the hose should now end in a 1/2"mpt fitting. connect your special hose to this. it will have a 1/2" fpt on one end and a male garden hose fitting on the other. now turn you winterizing valve to the winterize position and put the winterizing input into a bucket with the water you want in your fresh water tank. now turn you your water pump. it will draw water from the bucket and pump it out the outside shower hose. your special hose will redirect it the fresh water tank.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Thanks, we pick the unit up Tuesday. I think it has a shower, not sure. Will have to see how that works.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
I am new to the Class C family and have a question. We have carried fresh water cans to fill our fresh water tank when we are in a CG without HU's. I see the Class C has a hose connection for filling the fresh water, so does that mean I can only fill by hose, which means I have to pick everything up and drive to the city water connection? I guess what the 5vr had was a gravity fill, which I think may be a better option for those of us who like to stay beyond our tanks capacity.

I am sure someone out there has figured out how to do this and your advice and experience would truly be appreciated.
My Sunseeker has two inputs for freshwater, one above the other. One is a hose connection and the other in an opening into which with a funnel you can pour water. The hose connection does not fill the tank.
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by papakilo View Post
My Sunseeker has two inputs for freshwater, one above the other. One is a hose connection and the other in an opening into which with a funnel you can pour water. The hose connection does not fill the tank.

The threaded end is for city water.
The other is to fill the fresh tank.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Chickdoe...any chance you can show your description as a picture? Sounds like you have a good setup for getting fresh water into the fresh water tank. Just want to be sure I understand it correctly. Thanks.
TomBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #8

I went to Home Depot and bought a submersable pump and a length of plastic tubing. I fill a 5 gallon water container and pump that into the fresh water fill and so on until tank is full. I do have a generator to run the pump.
jrmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #9

We use a 45 gallon bag tank in the bed of the truck and a 12 volt pump.
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...45-gallon/1605

https://www.google.com/search?q=12+v...WfRCZEQgTYI0QQ
Old 03-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post

I have a centrifugal pump driven by a hand drill, purchased at Canadian Tire, but I'm sure any large hardware or auto supplier in the U.S. would have something similar. It's probably not food grade, but the water is only in contact with it momentarily. It's fittings are all standard garden hose thread (0.5").

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

Link to filling with outside shower

Here is a link from Rockfordroo with a schematic on how to fill fresh water tank with now extra equipment needed other than a hose to go from the outside shower to the fresh water fill.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1196628
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #12

Sometimes you have to get creative. 
Name:   jose saves the day (2).jpg
Views: 823
Size:  71.6 KB
damann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #13

I don't think the hose connection is for filling fresh water but for hooking up city water which doesn't run thru your freshwater tank or your water pump . Most class c's I've seen are gravity feed. They should be labeled. Look on both sides of your MH for the freshwater fill.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #14
Dahagen

I don't have a gravity fill connection on my motorhome so I bought an inexpensive ($16) 12 volt pump from harbor freight with hose fittings and pump from the water jug into the fresh water hose connection. Don't waste your money on an expensive RV pump. Also, my RV does not have a winterizing input, just 3 low point drains.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:29 AM   #15

Our Forester 2401W has a gravity fill on the rear wall.
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #16

Dr Safety you are da bomb! That makes total sense! I was thinking along those lines but just didn't make the connection. That will save a ton of jacking around with another pump, hooking up another connection etc. Just use what you have on board and add a little hose.

Da! Thanks!!
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #17

someone asked for a picture. here is a hose I made. the fitting on the left is a male garden hose that connects to fresh water input port. the other fitting is 1/2" female iron pipe that connects to outside shower hose. both fittings have barb connections inserted in vinyl tubing and secured with hose clamps. the whole hose probably cost $10 from parts at any hardware store. I will also use this to suck up some bleach solution and get it into me fresh water tank to sanitize it this spring when we get them rv cover off. we do not have any gravity fill port for the fresh water tank. hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fill hose.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	131762  
Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
Dr Safety you are da bomb! That makes total sense! I was thinking along those lines but just didn't make the connection. That will save a ton of jacking around with another pump, hooking up another connection etc. Just use what you have on board and add a little hose.
Don't thank me thank rockfordroo. I just remember seeing it and thought what a great idea, a light went on for me as well.
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Safety View Post
Don't thank me thank rockfordroo. I just remember seeing it and thought what a great idea, a light went on for me as well.

But does it work, has anyone tested it? The pipe that fills the tank is 1/2".
Old 03-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #20

Yes it will work!

Heck yes it will work, my Sprinter has a plug in shower port right next to the outside hose input. I just plug the springy blue hose into the port and screw the pipe thread hose end into the hose input. Open the cold water tap and switch to the winterize port and run that hose to the 5 gallon water container, turn on the pump.

Dude, it works!!

Very happy camper here!!
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water