Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #21

Yes few cans of fix a flat are nice to bring
Along . I also bring a pack of tire plugs
I like the gummy ones . I can plug a tire
And air it up in 10-15 min .
We carry AAA as well for major break
Downs . But for a unrepairable blow out
I change my own tires . Like all are saying
I will be good hour down the road by the time they would show up . I am sure I will
Get some hate for this in here . I use my
Big foot levelers to rise up for tire change
But I carry a bottle jack to .
Fisher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #22

Great advice all around. I am "old school", and based upon more than 40 years of RV experience, try to be prepared for any roadside emergency that I can handle myself. Lately, however, I need to rely on my much younger wife to crawl under our rig to position the jack in order to change out a flat tire!!

We carry a "Tee" lug wrench with sockets for both trailer and truck wheels, and a 12-volt air compressor just in case the spare is low on air.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #23

Some good advice in this thread. I need to rethink the tools and equipment I carry with me while on the road.
I have the Coachnet coverage but there are many times that I'm in areas that do not have cell coverage.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #24

Our 3170 Sunseeker came with a spare underneath. When we blew a rear tire called Good Sam, came right out. Only problem. . took a while to get the outside tire off to get to the other duel. Lots of gunk gets inbetween. Not easy getting a tire hooked back up underneath. We bought a new one on return from our trip.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #25

If you have a outside flat on your rear axle you can carry a 4x4 block of wood about 10” long you could put it in front of inside tire and drive up on it and will lift your vehicle up high enough to change your outside tire. Works on most TT also.
Wiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggler View Post
If you have a outside flat on your rear axle you can carry a 4x4 block of wood about 10” long you could put it in front of inside tire and drive up on it and will lift your vehicle up high enough to change your outside tire. Works on most TT also.
Uh... those lugs hold BOTH wheels in place. If you have a load on the inner dual & you remove those lugs, you are at extreme risk to both you and your equipment.

We had a Ford and now have a Chevy - both use the same method with duals.

This works on a tandem because each wheel is on its own hub.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #27

How to carry a spare?

Good thread topic which I needed. My class C has no spare but I am trying to kludge together a method to carry the tire and wheel. I tow a dingy so was thinking of getting a dual hitch receiver from Roadmaster which is rated for 10,000 lb pulling and 400lb tongue weight per their website. I was thinking a Curt spare tire rack in top receiver socket and tow bar in lower socket. But, when I called RoadMaster to get dimensions of dual receiver the tech support tech said I could not use it to carry an 85 lb spare. That does not seem right to me as the tire and wheel are no where close to 400 lb and the tow bar has very little tongue weight. I do not want to install front hitch but may be forced to. How do you all carry your spare tire and wheel?
Ford E450, V-10 Gasoline, 7500# towing
14500 GVWR, 22,000# GCWR
Recliner option
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire