Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #31

Wolverine...yup...the posts can be different but the top picture never needs water. Best way to preserve such batts is to NOT leave them plugged in when unused for a while...charge fully then unplug...removing negative wire or using a cut off switch to prevent discharge. Constantly leaving plugged in will gradually off vent water which can't be replenshed.
Maintenance free is great for starting batteries & I've got a couple on my scooters. Less to worry about.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Ok, my new batteries don't have a "cover" like what was shown. Leads me to suspect they are possibly NOT "maintenance free." I'm gonna pull the caps.
Usually there is a little slot built into the multicap cover where you can insert a screwdriver and gently pry up. If you are not sure...take a picture and post it here or give a link to the battery brand/model on line.

@Boso....exactly my sentiments.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Usually there is a little slot built into the multicap cover where you can insert a screwdriver and gently pry up. If you are not sure...take a picture and post it here or give a link to the battery brand/model on line.

@Boso....exactly my sentiments.
What are your thought about Battery Maintainers ???
I have one hooked to E450 battery & The battery in my lawn tractor that I use for Snow Blowing ???
Old 11-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
What are your thought about Battery Maintainers ???
I have one hooked to E450 battery & The battery in my lawn tractor that I use for Snow Blowing ???
Conventional flooded batteries self discharge at around 15% a month so if there are no parasitic loads (lawn tractor) there's no reason to keep any type of charger on unless unused for lengthy periods. (Discharge rate is less than 10% in freezing weather & 20 in HOT weather) I prefer to let a battery run down to 50% then apply a full conventional charge a bulk voltage & amps to "stir up" and mix the electrolyte & prevent sulfation rather than a small low volt, low amp constant current. That said...there is a benefit to keeping a battery topped up...and little risk of damage so sometimes the convenience outweighs the "best" solution. I have a battery tender for my scooters which sit most of the winter...but I only put it on for a few days at a time. In the coach...I simply properly fully charge by leaving it plugged in to shore power overnight then disconnect the negative batt wire and check every couple of months to see that I remain over 12.2V during the winter months when it is not used. Batteries will not freeze down to about 20 below if kept to 60% charge. (90 below if kept fully charged)
If I lived in the far north ...I might find a battery tender handy for the coach as well.

Now...since you mentioned battery maintainer...I will note that I'm simply referring to small, smart trickle chargers like the battery tender brand. I am not referring to any device that claims to reduce sulfation and maintain batteries with PULSE technology. These are snake oil and a waste of money...though some may work just as well as a battery tender since they include that charging routine as well as the snake oil.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #35

Thank for the Info Cam !!!
I find that the Maintainer helps a lot in the winter when it comes to starting the tractor !!! A little heat would help a lot also !!!
Old 11-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #36
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniOne View Post
DSXmac

Here is the link to the DIY to fix the issue we had with our 3171ds and the navi, radio, battery.

Navi - Radio - Battery issue 3071DS

~onione
Thanks! Problem hasn't presented itself since I replaced batteries, but I will try that if it does!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #37

I read often of folks putting a tender or trickle charge on the Coach batteries.
If you have an electrical outlet to plug in the charger,why wouldn't you just plug in the the coach and let the units charging system maintain the batteries?
What am I missing here?
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdutch View Post
I read often of folks putting a tender or trickle charge on the Coach batteries.
If you have an electrical outlet to plug in the charger,why wouldn't you just plug in the the coach and let the units charging system maintain the batteries?
What am I missing here?
the combo of cheap converter/charger and small wires don't let the factory unit actually use all three stages, so it ends up boiling the batteries dry.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #39

I have a battery that I keep on a Battery Tender when not in use. Its an AGM bat, but I have been using the same bat since 2001. I would say the Battery Tender lives up to its name!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdutch View Post
What am I missing here?
Maybe folks just run a small core to the Maintainer ???
I have a Maintainer hooked to the Truck battery !!!
From the barn,,, thru the E450 grill up to the Battery !!!

Tags
battery