Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #1

I think this is supposed to kill power to the batteries (???)

What exactly does this thing do and how do I know if it works or not? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448249672.204512.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	94838
Old 11-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #2

Do you have a generator? It appears to be similar to one I had on a boat, it is ignition protected so sparking is contained in the switch. My guess is if you have a genny then it switches load from external to the generator. All a big guess.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #3

That's your battery cutoff switch. When you store your rig between trips, this switch allows you to shut down all 12 volt systems, thereby reserving your battery's power.

Even if you turn off all 12 volt items, there still remains a constant drain on your house batteries from various sensors, CO/Propane sensor, etc. These constant on devices will suck all your energy from the batteries in a very short time.

To use it, you turn the knob to the off position, and all power from the batteries is shut down. When you are ready for a trip, don't forget to turn the switch to the on position
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
That's your battery cutoff switch. When you store your rig between trips, this switch allows you to shut down all 12 volt systems, thereby reserving your battery's power.

Even if you turn off all 12 volt items, there still remains a constant drain on your house batteries from various sensors, CO/Propane sensor, etc. These constant on devices will suck all your energy from the batteries in a very short time.

To use it, you turn the knob to the off position, and all power from the batteries is shut down. When you are ready for a trip, don't forget to turn the switch to the on position

Thanks for the response Wayne.

So if I turn this switch to off, all the sensors and such no longer are pulling from the battery correct ( also no charging to the battries) , or should I install a true cut off switch ( the old knife blade kind? )
Old 11-23-2015, 12:07 AM   #5

That switch you are asking about, does the same action, and serves the same function, as the old knife blade switches.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
2012 Solera

Some items are connected even with the switch off. In our Solera, these are items that typically don't draw electricity unless they are used - e.g., the slide out, the steps. I think the radio is connected to maintain the clock and station settings. Not sure, but suspect the "brain" for the Schwinteck slide out may be connected for the same reason - to maintain settings (I don't have a Schwinteck). Also, from posts on the forum, I believe newer models do charge the house batteries when connected to shore power even with the switch turned off.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #7

You will know it works if you turn it on, turn on some house lights then turn it off. The lights will go off. Also when you turn it off the CO/LPG detector little green light will go out. When you turn the switch on the CO/LPG detector will go back on (but will blink green while it warms up).

In 10 mins. or so you will find yourself wondering if you leave it on when traveling and the answer is yes as you need DC power for the refrig controller at least. Turn it off when you are done using the MH and store the unit.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #8

Most will not turn off the sensors. Probably some law says they can't be controlled by a switch. I don't even have a switch. I just take the battery with me and keep it on a battery tender in my garage.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #9

Some of the "extra wires" that connect to your battery positive post can be wired directly to your cutoff switch, which when turned off, will kill ALL power to the unit. No parasitics will drain your batteries: ie propane, CO, smoke detectors, antenna signal booster, stereo, etc.
The only other way to disconnect these power draws is to pull fuses at the power panel. You will be surprised just how many different devices draw power when the battery disconnect switch is turned off.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #10

If you see something that doesn't go out when you turn off the battery switch such as a sensor, then you will know it is wired directly to the battery and it will be draining your battery in whatever amount (which might be very small) even when everything else is turned off. You can remove the battery(ies) as mentioned or disconnect 1 or 2 ground cables to stop the drain. (A good way to tell if everything is off is to look inside the coach in the pitch dark for any red, green, blue or whatever other lights - but of course even that method is not perfect.)
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #11

On my Sunseeker, that switch kills absolutely everything from the house batteries, except the genset starter and the solenoid that is activated by the "emergency start" (or whatever it's called) switch on the dash. I have traced and diagrammed the wiring.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #12

On our new Leprechaun we have the same cut off switch but as others have said you will still have some current draw from the CO/LP detector. Our dealer showed me the connection for the CO/LP detector so we could disconnect it during winter storage. In the pic below it is the white connector. Just unplug it and the power to the CO/LP detector goes off. This is next to the coach batteries in the steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	94922  
Old 11-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #13

Please remember this is a FR Motorhome thread and explanations for other products may not apply. If your Sunseeker is newer than my 2014, you probably can still charge the batteries with the disconnect in off.

Also, if you are plugged in to shore power, turning the batt disconnect to off will not result in your DC lights not working as your converter/charger will still be powering up your 12 volt distribution.

Wes

2014 Sunseeker 3050S

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
power, battery