Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelins6 View Post
....good Sam. They are in the business of insuring motorhomes. GEICO doesn't cover most the stuff Good Sam does.
OK my question is; what do you mean they don't cover what Good Sam covers? If you have an accident they pay to fix it right? They cover a rental car right? If away from home they provide $$ for a hotel right? So what is the differnce?

Just asking.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #22

First thing that comes to mind is the awning, second is replacement of your RV. GEICO treats it like an automobile, but it is a house on wheels with a lot of extras. GEICO will tow to a repair facility, doesn't mean an RV repair facility.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #23

520 per year on our 2014 R in Hampton Va. We have a place in NC..near New Bern and thought about insuring it there. Rate was more than double. GEICO. Location and estimated yearly miles etc will determine premium.

Sent from my M470BSA using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #24

I'm an insurance professional. Like your regular auto ins, there are many factors that drive your premium. There are three carriers that I personally look to for RV specific coverage: Geico , American Modern, and Progressive. I have a 2013 Sunseeker, in PA, with good coverages and pay about $80 per month for 5 months. Shop your premium and do not put it on your regular auto insurance.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #25

Insurance for sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswing60 View Post
I'm an insurance professional. Like your regular auto ins, there are many factors that drive your premium. There are three carriers that I personally look to for RV specific coverage: Geico , American Modern, and Progressive. I have a 2013 Sunseeker, in PA, with good coverages and pay about $80 per month for 5 months. Shop your premium and do not put it on your regular auto insurance.

Why do you recommend not putting it with your regular car insurance company? Is there a risk to that? Or a benefit of using someone else?

We have State Farm for everything (house, some individual riders, umbrella, car, and RV).

Our 2013 3100 is $645 per year. It includes 250 / 500 / 100, medical payments 5, comprehensive 250 ded, collision 1000 ded, car rental and travel expense 80% per day with 500 max, uninsured motor vehicle bodily injury 250 / 500.

Wasn't thrilled with them though when they refused to cover it when it got backed into at a local Ford dealer. Needed a new bumper. Wanted me to chase it down with Ford dealers insurance. They also refused. Kind of put me in the middle.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #26

The only reason I recommend an RV specific policy is for the added benefits. Most RV specific policies include coverage for your awning and other RV equipment...no questions. It also usually includes emergency vacation coverage, personal property - your belongings (not covered by auto ins) , and many include replacement for the unit itself for a certain number of years.

You have very good coverages on your policy and if you 're happy with them that's fine. As far as the damage at the dealer, he should have garage keepers coverage as part of his garage policy, BUT your insurance should have helped you with the claim. It would not and should not count against you. I do not sell anymore but am an underwriter for RV rental ins, so I've got no monetary interest in this advice.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #27

I agree with kswing60 on the RV specific coverage.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #28

My GEICO covers personal property, medical (example...getting burned using stove etc) and other situations described by kswing60 above.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #29

Progressive!!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #30

We originally went with GEICO, but they don't cover the awning or you belongings or the vacation coverage. If your policy does then my customer service rep needs additional training.

Tags
sunseeker