Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #1

Interior LED light fixtures

I had the kitchen light act up this weekend. It would flicker but not light.
After checking for 12V at the stitch and bypassing the switch, it would still not light up.

I gave up for the night and when to bed. By morning it magically started working again. I'm sure that won't be the last time this happens.

While trying to diagnose the problem, I could not figure out how to get at the wiring behind these new LED fixtures they are installing now. I assume the cover must come off somehow. Can anyone explain how to get the cover off the light or describe what comes apart in that light.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #2

Do you happen to know the brand or have a picture? A lot of them slide straight outward just a half inch or so then drop downward to remove the lens white others actually have to have both outward edges slightly compressed to release the side tabs, then "folded" downward (rear end first) with a large tab inserted in the center of the outside rounded edge.

Most all of them you have to remove the lens covers then remove the screws securing it to the ceiling in order to access the wiring. It does sound like it's just a simple short though.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Do you happen to know the brand or have a picture? A lot of them slide straight outward just a half inch or so then drop downward to remove the lens white others actually have to have both outward edges slightly compressed to release the side tabs, then "folded" downward (rear end first) with a large tab inserted in the center of the outside rounded edge.

Most all of them you have to remove the lens covers then remove the screws securing it to the ceiling in order to access the wiring. It does sound like it's just a simple short though.
These aren't the standard RV fixtures that they're been using for years. They started putting these new flush mount LED lights in them this year.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #4

P

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
blue4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Use a screwdriver to pry off the top lens. Screws are exposed under there.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #6

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Any idea of the manufacturer for these lights. I never did find anything similar while searching.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Use a screwdriver to pry off the top lens. Screws are exposed under there.
My glass lens screws on. It's snug but mine unscrews like the lid on a jar.

I've read somewhere that the LEDs have a thermistor on the LED base and a faulty thermistor causing LEDs to flicker or totally fail. I think it was on the Diamond LED fixtures but I guess any fixture could have this.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Forester led light has a glass lense & screws on.
Sunseeker led lights are plastic and the lense pries off.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Forester led light has a glass lense & screws on.
Hmmmmm, I guests I should mind to my own unit without all the facts.

Was there a recent running change? We picked up or coach from the dealer yesterday and we always go through the lot units - just to "look" and noticed the Sunseeker under cabinet lights looked like the ones in the Forester.
Off topic but I also noticed all the units switched to an external twist lock shore power cord. Why was that? I personally like the hardwire setup. One less connection point to get loose and heat up.
I like the new counter tops but not too sure about the one deep kitchen sink bowl (although it does give a full top drawer under the sink). Sorry about the off-topic stuff but since I had your attention I thought I would ask.

Bobby
Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Commercial Member

1. no running change. We do use some round lights under the cabinets...but unless we ran out, those are a different style than the Forester.
2. We went to the detachable shore cord for a couple of reasons. This one lights up when it is energized and also it lets you store the cord wherever you want. With a fixed cord, it gets in the way and can cause issues if you store stuff on top of it. Just more flexibility this way.
3. With the new Atwood water heater (taller) the double sink would not fit on some floor plans. Plus the single round sink allows for more counter space.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #11

Thanks for the reply.
The Sundseekers we looked at had fixtures that "looked" just like the ones in the Forester (under cabinet). The coaches we went in had "everything" on so it was more noticeable to see the fixtures.
I agree on the extra counter surface of the sink area. I missed the change on the water heater.
The cord storage of the old hardwired set-up worked for me. Nothing else gets stored there but gloves.
Just some idle feedback - not complaining.

Bobby
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Just to confirm, if its a plastic lens it gets pried off. Glass gets rotated. That way if we every change lights in the future, or run out...we don't have anyone trying to do the reverse.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks again. I tried it this weekend and the lense came off without issue.
Hard to believe that circuit board with some LED's is all that's in there.

Tags
led, light