Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

Inverter Question

On Friday I picked up my 2014 3010 and I have a question regarding the inverter near the step. I turned it off at night and I know that turns the house batteries off but when I went to start the RV the next morning it wouldn't start. Turned it to On then the RV fired right up. Can you let me know how this works.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

The switch in the stairwell is the battery disconnect for the coach (MH) batteries. It is turned off when MH is not is use to save draining the battery with things like LP detector, etc., that are otherwise always "on". When occupying the MH you will want this switch in the ON position to provide 12 volt power to coach (lights, refrigerator control board, furnace control board, thermostat, fans, etc.)

Also when that switch is ON, running the MH will charge that battery. There is an emergency start switch on the side of the driver's seat that connects that battery to the engine to start the motorhome if it's own battery (chassis battery under the hood) is dead. You press and hold the emergency switch while starting the engine.

All that said, the condition you describe should not happen. The battery disconnect switch in the door step should have no effect on the starting of the MH engine, except if you are holding the emergency start switch. So, if that was the case (engine wouldn't start unless disconnect was on), I would suspect that something is wired very incorrectly. If the problem can be duplicated, I would suggest getting it back to the dealer for a complete inspection and diagnosis.

In normal operation, you will want the battery disconnect in the on position at all times that the MH is in use, and will turn it off when the MH is parked (stored) without shore power attached.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the great info. I tried it once this weekend so I better try it again tonight and see if that is really the case. Makes no sense to have the battery disconnect off for the house batteries and not be able to start the engine.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #4

Sounds odd to me that you would need the coach batteries to be able to run and drive the unit. I know my 2012 starts and runs fine with the switch off. There may be some kind of starter interlock on the new models but I can't think of a reason for one. You can review the circuit in the wiring diagrams if you have them or contact your dealer. I have diagrams for my unit and there is no such interlock.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter