Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Is condensation along the ceiling normal?

It was very hot in our area last night so we went to bed with the air conditioner on and left it on all night. When we woke up I noticed condensation on the ceiling throughout the entire coach. Is this normal? Will this cause damage in the future?
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

Since the ceiling has air ducts in it the surface is going to be the coldest part of your coach and anything cold will get condensation on it if the air is moist enough. The air conditioner should remove enough of the moisture that it should stop making condensation after some period of time running. However if you have enough windows open that moisture may never be lowered. How much outside ventilation are you having. Any fans left running like the Fantastic fans? How many people in the coach? Don't know you coach but does it have slides and are they sealed well?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Typically the duct work is just pathways cut in styrofoam. Think of a glass of ice with water in it. Notice condensation forms on the outside of the glass. Colder in the duct works (ceiling) warmer outside. Cold air will settle while the warmer air rises and maybe that's how the condensation formed. Also there might be a freezing issue with your air conditioner. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

I have never experienced this with a roof mounted AC but have with a free standing. I would check to make sure it is draining properly on the roof. If you have drain hoses that drain under the camper they could be stopped up. I live in South Carolina where it gets hot and humid. You may have sweating when using the heat b/c propane outputs moisture.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #5

Make sure you explore every option and fix the condensation problem. Moisture has the same affect on your motorhome as it would in a home (smell, health issues, etc).

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Jlklingejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Not uncommon. Ours did the same on the Forester we had. That roof is just alulminum framed with block foam, with ducting cut out of it, which is unlike the typical trailer with batten insulation and small foam ducts. Rockwood / Flagstaff are similar in their constructions. One issue we had with ours, is the cold air leaking into the front cap, which told me the foam was everything but air tight. I kept noticing cold spots in the morning on the cap. I baffled off the duct at the end of each run, and that solved the issue. A lot of our air was leaking into the cap and wherever else it could.

A small dehumidifier will definitely cure any condensation inside the coach. We run one at 45% or so, and never have any condensation, summer or winter, hot or cold, showers or not. In a Forester / Sunseeker, a dehumidifier like ours might not be an option since you're already pressed for interior real estate.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #7

Ensure your roof and stove exhaust vents are not open. Your Ac is attempting to remove the moisture (humidity) in the air.
Sun Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #8

Apparently the OP is one of those post and run types. No discussions from OP so let it drop.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #9

Op????
Sun Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Alleged curmudgeon

"original poster"
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote