Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #1

Is it safe to drill 1/2" hole here or here?

I'm looking for places I can route an antenna. Thinking about a 1/2" hole lined with PVC pipe and a downward-facing elbow. With glue and sealant it feels like a good idea.

EXCEPT I don't know if I'm in danger of cutting other wires, like the back brake lights or the red lights near the top of the back of the coach.

Open to suggestions. Trying to get it sorted ASAP as we leave Tuesday! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-315232965.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	34268  
wplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

If it isn't clear from the picture I'm considering a hole into the outside kitchen, just behind the awning support. Or a hole in the back that goes into the bedroom closet.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wplate
I'm looking for places I can route an antenna. Thinking about a 1/2" hole lined with PVC pipe and a downward-facing elbow. With glue and sealant it feels like a good idea.

EXCEPT I don't know if I'm in danger of cutting other wires, like the back brake lights or the red lights near the top of the back of the coach.

Open to suggestions. Trying to get it sorted ASAP as we leave Tuesday! :-)
Can U remove tail light assembly check wire routing? Also inside rear cap can dremel cut access plate in sheathing. Fab new cover plate of alum plate.
No mistakes that way
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

why dont you just get a powered indoor hd antenna. same reception. no drilling.
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #5

Antenna is for Internet. I have a Mellenicon mifi with Wilson Sleek booster and I want the external antenna Outside of the RV for better reception.

Sorry and thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #6

Thanks VinceU, good ideas to explore.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Pretty sure those brake light wires go straight up and over the top of the window. I'll go take a look online.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Here is a pic of the brake light section. The wires turn straight left pretty quickly (passenger side brake light).

One big thing to note. The sidewall stops short in the back corner. The rear wall goes all the way from passenger side to driver side. That tube gets screwed into the last sidewall tube...so you're going to be dealing with those screws when trying to run anything larger than wire. (as in pvc tube).

There is a tube on the driver side next to the tail light that we use to run wires...but that one already has wires. If its just the coax line of the antenna it should work...but I don't think you're going to get 1/2" tube in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brake Light.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	34351  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

If you find a good routing, please post. We're running a ham hf radio in our 2690SF and have been mounting a hustler on top of the ladder and running the coax across the roof and in the window. But that only works when we're parked.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #10

From what I've seen MOST tail light wiring run along the bottom of the trl. Sometimes along the frame and sometimes inside along the floor. where you plan too drill might at most catch a wire going up to the marker light along the top of the trl. It you hit one of those (though not likely) you should be able to fish the wire out thru the hole you've drilled, repair it and then carry on.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geri View Post
If you find a good routing, please post. We're running a ham hf radio in our 2690SF and have been mounting a hustler on top of the ladder and running the coax across the roof and in the window. But that only works when we're parked.
Here's what we did:

We drilled a 7/8" hole just to the right of the left awning support into the outside kitchen area. Having the router in the kitchen area behind the TV was easy to access. We drilled a larger hole in the left side of the cabinet to get the power strip lead out. Then we got a splitter for the AC power the fridge uses.

We put 1/2" PVC through the hole in the RV wall. On the exterior side we cemented on a 90º elbow with the other end threaded. This allows us to screw the pipe "closed" when not in use. On the interior side we attached a 1/2" PVC coupler but didn't cement it, it is just helping hold the pipe in place. Finally we put Dicor around the outside of the pipe to seal around the PVC.

For now I am keeping the external antenna "temporary" and will take it down for transit. If that becomes too annoying I may look at a way to secure the cable up along the inner edge of the awning support.

Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NoWire.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	34452   Click image for larger version

Name:	WithWire.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	34453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen-Drawn.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	34454  
Old 07-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wplate

Here's what we did:

We drilled a 7/8" hole just to the right of the left awning support into the outside kitchen area. Having the router in the kitchen area behind the TV was easy to access. We drilled a larger hole in the left side of the cabinet to get the power strip lead out. Then we got a splitter for the AC power the fridge uses.

We put 1/2" PVC through the hole in the RV wall. On the exterior side we cemented on a 90º elbow with the other end threaded. This allows us to screw the pipe "closed" when not in use. On the interior side we attached a 1/2" PVC coupler but didn't cement it, it is just helping hold the pipe in place. Finally we put Dicor around the outside of the pipe to seal around the PVC.

For now I am keeping the external antenna "temporary" and will take it down for transit. If that becomes too annoying I may look at a way to secure the cable up along the inner edge of the awning support.

Photos attached.
Nice job! You can always use a threaded stuffing tube IWO of your plug and thus seal the cable penetration.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote