Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Is my slideout working right?

We have a new 2013 Sunseeker 3100. When we extend the slideout, the following happens:

- The top hits the stop point

- The bottom still goes out a little more (maybe a second or two) before it hits the stop point

- We hear the racheting sound and immediately release the button

The gap and seal on the inside look uniform all around.

On the outside, you can notice that the bottom sticks out a little more than the top.I don't have a ladder or tape measure but would guess it might be an inch or two.

Is that normal or a problem?

Thanks!
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

I think that is perfectly normal operation, just as you described. The more learned of my esteemed rv colleagues may differ in opinion.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Terry. If the seal is uniform all of the way around, both closed and open, I don't think you have a problem. I can't remember exactly how mine works, but I know either the top or bottom stops 1st, then the other catches up a second later.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

My Salem 2012 27RKSS is the same for operation however I have a wearing spot at the top left which no now wants to touch. Glad I purchased the second year warranty on the trailer bumper to bumper
Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #5

Ours does the same and the bottom finishes last then the clutch ratchet thing.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #6

I wonder, though, if prolonged ratchetting would have negative effects on the gears??
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I wonder, though, if prolonged ratchetting would have negative effects on the gears??
I would think prolonged ratcheting would have detrimental effects, but we stop when it is close to open or closed and then just bump the switch so it just ratchets one or two times. Would love to put limit switches on it but don't want to tear all the underbelly out just to look.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #8

Ours is an 06 so it's a little older but the slides do the same thing. Maybe the factory can chime in but from what I have observed that ratcheting sound you hear is not good and will be destructive over time. I watched ours when my wife ran it out and that noise is teeth on the gears jumping. I have replaced the gears and woodruff keys in mine because that is how the previous owner used to open the slides. He would run them out until it clicked 2 times. I now run mine out and stop before it does any clicking, if it's not all the way out I just bump the button a couple times.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
Ours is an 06 so it's a little older but the slides do the same thing. Maybe the factory can chime in but from what I have observed that ratcheting sound you hear is not good and will be destructive over time. I watched ours when my wife ran it out and that noise is teeth on the gears jumping. I have replaced the gears and woodruff keys in mine because that is how the previous owner used to open the slides. He would run them out until it clicked 2 times. I now run mine out and stop before it does any clicking, if it's not all the way out I just bump the button a couple times.
What are the gears made out of and did the ones you replaced look very worn?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #10

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0-a-23156.html

Check out this thread from when I fixed it. I posted some pics in there of what everything looks like. The woodruff keys sheared off from the pressure they were under. That little key pretty much carries the weight of the slide so when you are letting the slide click a few times it is putting tons of pressure on it and they will eventually snap. It saved me a ton of money doing it myself put it is not an easy task.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote