Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #41

Michelin LTX M/S Recall

I just purchased 4 new Michelin LTX M/S tires for my Dodge diesel. The tire dealer never mentioned a recall on those tires to me..

I hope Michelin fixed those tires.
Sincerely
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
One possibility would be to put commercial tires such as the delivery services use. I considered putting Bridgestone Duravis on our Four Winds, but I caved for the Michelin LTX M/S. As it worked out, they were replaced with LTX M/S2 under the recall a few years ago after I'd already put 25K on them, so we scored on a new set which reset the date code. The M/S2 are much better tires than the M/S ones were in the terms of noise, handling and stability. I still wonder if it would have been a better decision to install the Bridgestones.

I see Costco has the Duravis M700 HD's with closed shoulders but an open tread; they used to have a Duravis with a much tigher highway tread that I was considering.

That all said, they all have a load range for a given size, so it doesn't really matter what brand or model you buy. If it's an LT 225/75/16, then the load index is 115.

I still like the idea of a commercial tire... and may purchase something like that when I replace the Generals on the new Sunseeker when the time comes.
byoslandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:40 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoslandry View Post
I just purchased 4 new Michelin LTX M/S tires for my Dodge diesel. The tire dealer never mentioned a recall on those tires to me..

I hope Michelin fixed those tires.
Sincerely
Byron
Recall was just for a very small slice of those tires and was for back in 2012 I believe.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #43
Commercial Member

Easy to check on vehicle or tire recalls at NHTSA "Safecar.gov" site unless you are one of those that don't think government can do anything right in which case you can ignore any such government actions.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Easy to check on vehicle or tire recalls at NHTSA "Safecar.gov" site .
Thanks for that info. What would your recommendations be for the best tire in that size?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon3xUD View Post
I don't know diddly about tires other than that age and dry rot is the enemy, but....

my trusted mechanic of many years (also an RV owner) put Hankook tires (sorry, I don't know the model and the rig is 35 min away) on my Sunseeker when the Michelins aged out. Those Hankook tires are still in great shape after 5+ years of service with not a hint of dry rot. My RV is stored in a mostly shaded spot but the tires are not covered. When it's time for a new set, I'll be sticking with Hankook.
Ditto on this entire post. Rv/tire guy put on Hankook on mine after Michelins aged out.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #46
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Thanks for that info. What would your recommendations be for the best tire in that size?

Sorry I try and remain "company neutral" and limit my suggestions to technical issues.

Going from Polyester body LT to Steel body "Commercial" grade LT tires will generally get you better durability. However unless you ensure you are running enough inflation to support the measured load your tires (+10% margin) you may not get the durability you hope for. Running a TPMS is also a smart plan and any brand tire can develop a leak and fail.

You really need to provide more details with your question i.e.
Complete tire size, Actual scale weights for each axle, Placard information (GAWR, OE tire size & LR & infl). Individual tire loads (each end of each axle) is even better.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 05-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #47

on my 99 30 foot fleetwood jamboree on went to 235/85-16 load range G twice the tire never a problem just put them on rear keep front the same they were never a problem. But rears are great bullet proof they were a 1,000 pounds per tire over the old ratings so 4,000 total in rear extra.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Sorry I try and remain "company neutral" and limit my suggestions to technical issues.

Going from Polyester body LT to Steel body "Commercial" grade LT tires will generally get you better durability. .
C'mon, just tell us who is best..... What manufacturers are the best players in the "Commercial" grade tires? Tire size is 275/75 R 16 Load range E. Same size that come on all lengths of the e450 chassis that FR puts out (hence the conundrum that the same tire is used on 8,000 lb.
rigs as 14,500 lb. rigs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
on my 99 30 foot fleetwood jamboree on went to 235/85-16 load range G twice the tire never a problem just put them on rear keep front the same they were never a problem.
Did that tire size not have any rubbing issues? That is what I would be worried about.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #49

None are ... because they are listed as LT tires which mean Light Truck tires do you really think they are LT trucks think twice your all fooling your self's some come out close to max load with out anything added like fuel,water,people,animals,toys, When they were started the were a large van and extended and many extra added. Then you add the E rating of tire saying 10 ply but when when you add it up on side wall come out to 6 but rated as ten fuzzy math. My G's listed as 14 ply but when add up on side wall only 10 ply rated as 14 fuzzy math Gov stile I guess LOL
Old 05-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #50

Perfect timing. I have a knot on my BFG's all terrains as we speak. I noticed a wobble over the weekend when towing RV...naturally. Then leaving CG discovered low tire...aired and soaped then noticed several slit type leaks...limped home. Texted my tire man and went to see him after work. I looked at the tire and saw a bulge on the tread of tire. I looked for made in China and could not find it. Lol.

I was looking for 285-70-17 good tires. I was leaning towards the Michelin LTX AT2, but had originally wanted the BFG AT tires.

Asked my tire dude his opinion and he said to get the BFG's. Last time I took my own advise...this time I listened to him.

Tireman you can give brand "opinions" just don't call it advice. Hello we all will listen. Ask me about what I sell and I will certainly tell what I think. I don't have your field of expertise, but I will tell you what I think. You can use that and other info to solve your equation.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
C'mon, just tell us who is best..... What manufacturers are the best players in the "Commercial" grade tires? Tire size is 275/75 R 16 Load range E. Same size that come on all lengths of the e450 chassis that FR puts out (hence the conundrum that the same tire is used on 8,000 lb.
rigs as 14,500 lb. rigs)

Did that tire size not have any rubbing issues? That is what I would be worried about.
Best for cost ? Best for wear? Best for most dealers (ease of finding service?)

Having some problems finding your 275/75 R 16 in Commercial truck listings. So in your case "Best" may be the one tire you already have.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #52
Commercial Member

Quote:
None are ... because they are listed as LT tires which mean Light Truck tires do you really think they are LT trucks think twice your all fooling your self's some come out close to max load with out anything added like fuel,water,people,animals,toys, When they were started the were a large van and extended and many extra added. Then you add the E rating of tire saying 10 ply but when when you add it up on side wall come out to 6 but rated as ten fuzzy math. My G's listed as 14 ply but when add up on side wall only 10 ply rated as 14 fuzzy math Gov stile I guess LOL

Not sure what you are reading to get your "fuzzy math" Sidewall states the number of ply and the material i.e. "3 ply polyester" or some such.
"Ply rating" is left over from the 50's for those that can't move forward with advances in technology and improvements in material strength.

LR-E or LR-F etc is the correct info as it specifies the load range at an inflation the tire is designed for.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #53
Commercial Member

Oh yea the "Best pizza is Gionino's so that settles the question of what is "best"
Old 05-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Best for cost ? Best for wear? Best for most dealers (ease of finding service?)

Having some problems finding your 275/75 R 16 in Commercial truck listings. So in your case "Best" may be the one tire you already have.
So sorry, I fat-fingered the tire size. It is 225/75 R 16 Load range E.

Best for lasting the longest (maybe 5-6 years) without blowing up while driving down the road.

Thanks again for the responses. I think Digiorno is the best frozen pizza.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #55

all you need is add up you numbers on side wall if you are a tire man you will see what it say rated at 10 ply it doesn't it is 10 ply. This is government fuzzy mat allowing tire company's to get away with this garbage which could get people really hurt or killed and that is no joke any buddy get down and read see it for your self.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Quote:
all you need is add up you numbers on side wall if you are a tire man you will see what it say rated at 10 ply it doesn't it is 10 ply. This is government fuzzy mat allowing tire company's to get away with this garbage which could get people really hurt or killed and that is no joke any buddy get down and read see it for your self.

Sorry but the sidewall information is not some conspiracy to kill people. The information identifies the actual number of ply and their material. The "ply" concept started changing in the late 50's when new and stronger material became available.
people complained when tire companies started to use 8 then 6 actual ply in tires that needed 10 ply of weaker material to retain the inflation. Tires said "6 ply for 8 ply rating" and such but this was apparently too complex for some so "Load Range" became the recognized term. Would you prefer the sidewall of a steel body tire say "1 ply steel for 12 ply rating Nylon".
People keep demandinglower cost products so manufacturers respond with less costly but equal or stronger steel which can be used when 1 ply of steel is as strong or stronger than 12 ply of cotton.
Would you prefer 12 ply cotton at a =20% cost penalty over 1 ply steel?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #57

Then if so rate it a fact not fuzzy math which gets are government into a mess on paying it's dept. Again you still haven't said anything about some 30 foot or longer with slides coming out very close to over load rating on coaches tags of weight with those tires. I know mine was one for a fact as such after loaded with my people,dogs fuel, water I was close to 800 pounds over. And again You are trying to tell people here that they are driving LT trucks? If you are maybe you are also part of the problem if I were driving a pickup truck I would be ok with you. But that said I know I know that;s not a fact unless fuzzy math come's to play again.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Quote:
Then if so rate it a fact not fuzzy math which gets are government into a mess on paying it's dept. Again you still haven't said anything about some 30 foot or longer with slides coming out very close to over load rating on coaches tags of weight with those tires. I know mine was one for a fact as such after loaded with my people,dogs fuel, water I was close to 800 pounds over. And again You are trying to tell people here that they are driving LT trucks? If you are maybe you are also part of the problem if I were driving a pickup truck I would be ok with you. But that said I know I know that;s not a fact unless fuzzy math come's to play again.
It's not "fuzzy math". The placard tells you the tire size and the inflation needed to support the load. It also tells you the max design load for each axle. It appears that you made the decision to overload the RV even though the information was provided by the RV.
Does your Sunseeker have a 3rd tag axle?
Old 06-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #59

Quote:
. My G's listed as 14 ply but when add up on side wall only 10 ply rated as 14 fuzzy math Gov stile I guess LOL
Quote:
This is government fuzzy mat allowing tire company's to get away with this garbage .
Quote:
. But that said I know I know that;s not a fact unless fuzzy math come's to play again.
OK, cfo111, we heard you. It does no good to continue to post the same thing over and over again.

Let's let some other people's voice their opinion. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #60

Went with these Goodyear 949 RSA tire. Putting 2 on the ps rear and see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice, especially Tireman.

Tags
class c, tire