Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #31

I never had problems with my G's but I have air ride for a little lift because I sometime dragged coming out of steep driveway. But my stock tires after 1 to 2 years were blowoutcity. My G always go and go and they lifted rear up 2 inches so my coach rides level. My first set lasted 8 years just put on my second set. I gace my first set to a friend he put them on his dully pickup they still look like new.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #32

My Michelin tire all 6 dry rotted 16600 miles they paid for part of cost I put bf Goodrich on much better ride

Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #33

X2 on the BF Goodrich tires.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #34

Just a couple of thoughts as I read all these tire posts:

(1) Tires are VERY important to me. The safety of my family depends on how those rubber things provide a safe ride for us.
(2) I don't even shop for "cheap" tires. I am not an "expert" on tires but in my logical way of thinking, I figure that they are cheap for some reason. Since I don't know why they are less than brand names, I tend to shy away from them. I value my family's safety more than a few hundred dollars.
(3) I belong to FMCA and have used their Michelin program a couple of times. Yes, it does save you money. The larger your tires, the more savings you have. When I needed 22.5" tires for my DP, I saved over $100 per tire. As a previous poster pointed out, using the FMCA tire program saves you more money than the cost of your membership, and you get the tires cheaper than the dealer can.
(4) In the larger, RV size of tires, Michelin adds a UV inhibitor to the tire manufacturing process so that sunlight will have a minimal adverse effect on your tires. Also, it does adds a little more to the cost of the tires. I think they have this UV protection only in the larger sizes, not in the sizes that Class C's use, but I'm not sure. I don't know if any other tire manufacturer does this.

Bottom line, I will only use top brand tires on all my vehicles and I will never compromise safety to save a few bucks. But, I will shop them to death to ensure I'm getting the best price.

2016 Sunseeker 3050DS towing 2006 Hummer H3

WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #35
Commercial Member

In general "Commercial" grade steel body tires are available for Class-C from "First Tier" companies like Bridgestone, Goodyear & Michelin.

I would expect better performance from these tires than others.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

IMO I think you will find the OE tires on a Ford/Chevy/MB chassis used as a base for Class-C motorhomes are selected by a team of engineers at the car company working with engineers at a top tier tire company to design and select a tire for specific performance parameters. d.
^^^^This is what I am confounded about. My 1994 24 foot Fleetwood Tioga Montaro with no slide had the same size OEM tires as the 31 foot Sunseeker does with 2 slides??? Does a Full size Cadillac use the same tires as a Prius???
Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
^^^^This is what I am confounded about. My 1994 24 foot Fleetwood Tioga Montaro with no slide had the same size OEM tires as the 31 foot Sunseeker does with 2 slides??? Does a Full size Cadillac use the same tires as a Prius???
What size & Load Range was the Fleetwood? and on the Sunseeker?
Are you sure you had same Load Range and inflation suggestion on the tire placard?

What are your actual scale weights for each RV?

While it is reasonable to think length and number of slides might be an indication of actual weight the only way to know for real is to get on a scale.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
What size & Load Range was the Fleetwood? and on the Sunseeker?
Are you sure you had same Load Range and inflation suggestion on the tire placard?What are your actual scale weights for each RV?
Pretty sure is was the same size and load range for both rigs. I do remember that the Fleetwood was only 60 psi all around and the current Sunseeker is 80 all around.

I guess I am wishing the manufacturers would give more of a safety factor
by using heavier rated tires on these really heavy C class rigs.

All I can do is keep the inflation at the proper level, inspect them regularly and replace after 5 years.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #39

My 1999 Fleetwood Jamboree had 225-65-16 E load range now rear 235-85-16 been running first set 8 years by the way load range G this give you 1,000 pounds per tire. I did have air lifts in place before so never had a clearance problem. I run 100 psi in rear ride a little firmer but then which is better blowouts and damage or firmer ride. Safety first IMO
Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Pretty sure is was the same size and load range for both rigs. I do remember that the Fleetwood was only 60 psi all around and the current Sunseeker is 80 all around.

I guess I am wishing the manufacturers would give more of a safety factor
by using heavier rated tires on these really heavy C class rigs.

All I can do is keep the inflation at the proper level, inspect them regularly and replace after 5 years.

Thanks for your input.
If only 60 then the Fleetwood was a few thousand pounds lighter. 60 psi is Load Range D. 80 psi is LR-E

RV Tire Safety Blog

Tags
class c, tire