Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #1

Is there a good reason....

or am I just cynical. The only power for the bedroom TV in our 3170DS is a 12v outlet. Why not a standard plug? Did they save $.27 by doing it this way?
Anyway, how did you resolve this, with a converter or install a 120v outlet? If you put in an outlet, where did you run the line from?

Thanks,
John

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 3170 DS 32' w/2 slides
soulman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman327 View Post
or am I just cynical. The only power for the bedroom TV in our 3170DS is a 12v outlet. Why not a standard plug? Did they save $.27 by doing it this way?
Anyway, how did you resolve this, with a converter or install a 120v outlet? If you put in an outlet, where did you run the line from?

Thanks,
John
I don’t have a 120v TV anywhere and I’m fine with that. FR puts in what sells.
I take it that you don’t dry camp where you can’t run your generator. It’s nice to be able to get the news/weather every once in a while on a 12v set. Going outside during a dark sky is better than any TV show anyway.
To answer your Q, I resolved the issue you stated by correctly assessing the importance of a TV while touring America the Beautiful. I’m in Sunset, TX tonight and no TV. Ahhhhh.
Obviously, YMMV
Old 09-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
I have four in my 3171DS and they are all that way. I don’t mind, until I have to replace one of them and have to look for a 12v tv.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #4

Quote:

Thanks,

John

I removed my 120v 24” Furion TV and replaced it with a 12v 19” Samsung and wired in a special 12v outlet for it! I can use it when I dry camp and if I am plugged in to shore power, the 12v power comes from the converter (via the batteries). Perfect for us!

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:35 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks,
John
Might be easier to buy a 12v to 110v converter and get your 110 from there.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #6

Well, nomad297, I ARE a college graduate! Being a former engineer I was just looking for some sense to their logic of a 12 v and not a 120 v. And no, we don't dry camp or boondock and use the generator....although now the option is available. Actually, according to my bride, we don't even camp. She says we're "glampers"...WIFI, cable, AC, etc. People camp how they want to camp.
ANYWAY, I will order a converter and move on.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #7

I’ll try to answer your question without being confrontational, what I did was Download the App for Directtvnow, I get 65 channels on my iPad or iPhone for $35.00 A MONTH. It’s Data Free Streaming if your already a ATT WIRELESS CUSTOMER. If not it will use your Data from your phone plan to stream with can be Huge unless you have unlimited data. I also understand there are ways to mirror it to your TV.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #8

From reading a lot of posts, although I do not have one, Sunseekers just seem to have 12 volt TVs while most of the other FR MHs use 120 volts. Have never figured that out. Maybe whoever designed the electrical layout was trying to help occasional boondockers watch tv without running generator or installing an inverter. Always seemed strange to me as well.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:11 AM   #9

I suspect, it’s because you have an either or option. I’d see this as a plus. The TV will always work if you want it, whether you have 120v available, or not.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #10

Quote:
People camp how they want to camp.

Thanks!
You’ve got that right, about how people camp! Here’s a nice, inexpensive and compact inverter with great reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Foval-Power-I...70_&dpSrc=srch

Bruce
Old 09-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #11

27¢ x 100 trailers = $27.00 in profit. Yep, it was a economic decision.

Until this morning I never realized there were 12vDC televisions. Personally never had nor wanted nor would SHMBO allow a TV on board but a 12v version makes sense and certainly lets it be used under all camping conditions. I just Googled 12v TVs and they're common as grass!

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
27¢ x 100 trailers = $27.00 in profit. Yep, it was a economic decision.

Until this morning I never realized there were 12vDC televisions. Personally never had nor wanted nor would SHMBO allow a TV on board but a 12v version makes sense and certainly lets it be used under all camping conditions. I just Googled 12v TVs and they're common as grass!

-- Chuck
Well, actually all modern flat panel TVs are DC operated anyway.

$0.27 strikes me as a a little low for an additional outlet and would even cover the box and plate. Maybe $5 to $10 might be more reasonable with all parts and labor.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #13

[QUOTE

$0.27 strikes me as a a little low for an additional outlet and would even cover the box and plate. Maybe $5 to $10 might be more reasonable with all parts and labor.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I made up that number, I have no idea what the difference in cost would be ...... remember that "47% of all statistics are made up on the spot". And Chuck S is right, even at mere pennies, the profits add up!

And, like Chuck S, I also never realized the plethora of 12 v tv's out there. For me it was simply more cost effective to buy an inverter very similar to the one nomad297 suggested. Especially since we already have 16! tv's. (yeah it seems excessive but - 3 from the traded in trailer, 3 came in the motorhome, and 2 furnished houses - holy smokes it adds up).

Old 09-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Well, nomad297, I ARE a college graduate! Being a former engineer I was just looking for some sense to their logic of a 12 v and not a 120 v. And no, we don't dry camp or boondock and use the generator....although now the option is available. Actually, according to my bride, we don't even camp. She says we're "glampers"...WIFI, cable, AC, etc. People camp how they want to camp.

Thanks!

Not really understanding why you need an inverter (which is the correct term) for this.

Your TV will run off 12 volts. so you can use it off of only battery power if you wanted/needed to.

If you are connected to 120 volt AC shore power, then your RV's converter will take 120 volt AC and convert it to 12 volt DC and power the outlet to the tv anyway. So you are good either way you go. Don't see why you need to get anything, unless you change the television itself.

This thread may help, as it explains the different electrical systems you have in the RV... as well as the difference between a converter and an inverter.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

Are you perhaps having a problem with the 12 volt outlet, and your television isn't being powered currently?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #15

Hey Duckogram, tried to send you a pm but it wouldn't send...

Old 09-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Was at BJ's wholesale the other day, looking at the TVs on display. Most of them I would consider 'RV size' are 12 volt, running off of an AC to DC transformer in the cord. At Hershey RV show, I saw RV's with TV's that would rival my large screen in my home, amazing. I guess those people really aren't into camping, just dragging a home around, lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not really understanding why you need an inverter (which is the correct term) for this.

Your TV will run off 12 volts. so you can use it off of only battery power if you wanted/needed to.

If you are connected to 120 volt AC shore power, then your RV's converter will take 120 volt AC and convert it to 12 volt DC and power the outlet to the tv anyway. So you are good either way you go. Don't see why you need to get anything, unless you change the television itself.

This thread may help, as it explains the different electrical systems you have in the RV... as well as the difference between a converter and an inverter.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

Are you perhaps having a problem with the 12 volt outlet, and your television isn't being powered currently?

No, the problem is, the tv is 120 v and there is no place to plug it in in its present location. So, I need an (correctly ) inverter to even have power to the tv.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #18

Converting 12vDC to 120vAC and then back to 12vDC ain't making sense to me.

I recall a couple of my home TVs have black box power supplies between the wall and the TV. Without moving major furniture I can't tell if their output is 12vDC or similar but if it is it's a simple matter of buying or fabricating the appropriate power cord and plugging directly into 12vDC in the RV.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #19
geezer with gadgets

Inverter

We use a small inverter and it works fine.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
I’ll try to answer your question without being confrontational, what I did was Download the App for Directtvnow, I get 65 channels on my iPad or iPhone for $35.00 A MONTH. It’s Data Free Streaming if your already a ATT WIRELESS CUSTOMER. If not it will use your Data from your phone plan to stream with can be Huge unless you have unlimited data. I also understand there are ways to mirror it to your TV.

Yup, we've been that route with cable/directtv/etc. and we cut the cord a while back. All we have now is OTA, sling, hulu, and netflix. I don't watch much tv but my bride likes to watch tv when she goes to bed at night.
Thanks, though.