Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Is there a tire jack somewhere in my RV?

I recently noticed a similar thread in the Solera forum and it got me wondering. I found a tire iron (or is it a lug wrench?) under the passenger seat, but I have never seen a jack inside or underneath my 2010 Sunseeker 2300 (purchased new).

I belong to Good Sam's roadside assistance so I would have no need for the jack, but why was the tire iron included if there isn't a jack somewhere?

Again, just wondering....

Any thoughts?
DeeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #2

How about under the hood on a fender well.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Ford Idaho.

I just found the following while doing a forum search...

from Aug. 2012:

Jacks do not come with the motorhome prep package on Ford's, we don't take them out. It also doesn't come with a spare or a lug wrench, we have to add those in.

I guess I can stop looking now.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #4

I didn't have a lug wrench in mine.
NCIC105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

In the thread I read about there being no jack in "my" RV, there was more mention of the lug wrench and spare and who added what. Having a hard time trying to find that thread again to repost here.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #6

Here's the thread that mentions info about the jack, spare, and lug wrench.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...val-28363.html
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

gotta remember that jack needs to lift give or take 4 to 5 thousand lbs or more. Much better to left the Sam guys lift it with a proper jack; not one designed for the family car
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Ford stopped putting the lug wrenches in as well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #9

Just go online (EBAY) and you can find new takeout Econoline jacks and lug wrenches if you want them. You can also find Econoline spare tire winches which make spare removal much easier.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #10

The only thing I would jack up a motorhome with is at least a 10 ton bottle jack and matching jack stand.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #11

Even though it wouldn't seem so a 10 ton jack is about 4 times greater than is needed. The dual rear axle rating on the Sunseeker is 9600 lbs total so that is 4800 lbs per side or less than 2 1/2 tons. The individual tire ratings are 2470 lbs if you have the factory installed tires so unless you are way overloaded, a 3 ton jack is more than adequate. The Ford Econoline jacks are made for E450s (used in commercial applications) and come with Ford jacking instructions for the E450. The factory jack is also much lighter than a large bottle jack.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Even though it wouldn't seem so a 10 ton jack is about 4 times greater than is needed. The dual rear axle rating on the Sunseeker is 9600 lbs total so that is 4800 lbs per side or less than 2 1/2 tons. The individual tire ratings are 2470 lbs if you have the factory installed tires so unless you are way overloaded, a 3 ton jack is more than adequate. The Ford Econoline jacks are made for E450s (used in commercial applications) and come with Ford jacking instructions for the E450. The factory jack is also much lighter than a large bottle jack.
i don't disagree with this statement, bottle jack is just so much easier and faster.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
i don't disagree with this statement, bottle jack is just so much easier and faster.

Have you tried one? If the bottle jack is placed in the correct location on the rear axle you have to crawl under and pumping the jack's short handle is at a difficult angle at least for me. The Ford jack has a 4 foot crank handle that to me is much easier to use. The handle also works the Econoline spare tire winch which I also installed. However the easiest is to call someone to change the tire!!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Have you tried one? If the bottle jack is placed in the correct location on the rear axle you have to crawl under and pumping the jack's short handle is at a difficult angle at least for me. The Ford jack has a 4 foot crank handle that to me is much easier to use. The handle also works the Econoline spare tire winch which I also installed. However the easiest is to call someone to change the tire!!
i have used both, it's just my opinion that the bottle jack is easier. I do agree it's definitely easier to call somebody but I'm not that patient, I carry a compressor and impact so I can be back on the road before the service guys even leave the shop.

Tags
tire