Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #1

Is this an aftermarket stabilizer?

I have a 2011 Sunseeker 3120 e450. I just purchased it a month ago. It has quite a bit of wander down the road. I'm constantly having to make corrections to keep it going straight down the road. Everyone says add a stabilizer bar to correct this, but it appears I already have one, I think. I've attached a pic. Is this stock or aftermarket. If so maybe it needs to be replaced. What do you think..Thanks

Well I tried to upload the pic of what I think is the stabillizer bar but the button to choose file to upload is greyed out. What gives?
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

Unless there is something badly worn or loose in the steering or suspension, I think you just need an alignment. I wasn't 5 miles down the road from my dealer when I knew the front end wasn't right as it seemed to have a mind of it's own with bad bump steer. Took it to a local shop that I trusted and I worked with them to set it up properly. The alignment is tricky on Ford I-beam suspensions and you can't rely solely on just being within the very broad Ford specs. FR covered the costs via warranty with no problem.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Is this a stabilizer bar?

Here's a pic. Sort pic is upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	30320  
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

That appears to be a picture of the steering shock that dampens the side to side movements of the steering. The stabilizer bar (between the shock and the radiator in the picture) helps prevent excessive body roll when turning. It is a stock part.
Ronnquist Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #5

roadmaster makes a replacement steering shock/stabilizer that i have installed on 2 class c motor homes i have owned a 98 28 foot jayco and my current one a 2011 3170 sun seeker combined with a good alignment it will eliminate wander. they also make heaver anti sway bars to lessen suspension or body roll.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Read this thread...answers all your questions.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0-a-20614.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

thanks bclemens for the specs we just got our 3170 this winter an have had it out only 3 times. we love this unit
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P View Post
Here's a pic. Sort pic is upside down
It also looks like the alignment of your steering stabilizer is not optimal as well. Mine looked similar and was adjusted when I had the alignment performed.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Great info, thank a bunch!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer RSSC

I have ordered a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer RSSC to replace the small damper installed by Ford. I have a 2013 Forester #3051S Ford E450. Also, if you have air springs make sure the pressure is set around 60-70 psi besides checking your tires.
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #11

I'll go ahead and order the heavier duty steering stabilizer. I'm pretty sure the pic I posted earlier is a stock unit. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #12

I am removing my Ford steering damper just like the one in your photo.

I found the Ford E450 Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer & bracket in stock at Hitchsource.com

Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer RSSC RM_RSSC $243.00 1 $243.00 Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer | REFLEX STEERING STABILIZER (UNIT NUMBER NEEDED RSSC) RM_RBK11 $127.00 1 $127.00
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote