Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Issue with fresh water tank

On my first trip with our new 2012 2650 I noticed that my fresh water tank fills slowly and overflows whenever I am hooked up to city water. My only thoughts are: a valve turned wrong, or is there a check valve leaking? Before I tried to get to it (under the bed) I thought I would ask if anyone ran into this before. Thanks.
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #2

The check valve is the electric pump that pumps fresh water from the tank when not on city water. You say its a new 2012? still have warranty?
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

It's a defective SureFlo water pump. The dealer has a whole file related to the issue. They will replace it.
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #4

What steps do I take to fill the fresh tank when hooked up to city water?

I thought when hooked to city water, water just ran through the pipes (bypassing the tank).

When I fill the fresh tank, I just use the gravity fill.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
What steps do I take to fill the fresh tank when hooked up to city water?

I thought when hooked to city water, water just ran through the pipes (bypassing the tank).

When I fill the fresh tank, I just use the gravity fill.
City water connection does not fill water tank. Gravity fill is used to fill tank.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post

City water connection does not fill water tank. Gravity fill is used to fill tank.
Got it. Thanks. I was reading it as the problem is that it filled slow (rather than quicker) and overflowed (rather than shutting off). Now I understand the problem is that it filled at all. I have never used the city line but probably need to try it to ensure the pump works properly (restricts the fresh tank from filling) given that some folks are having trouble.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Guess I'm confused every rv we've owned has has a fresh water fill and a city water connection that are seperate and the pump is only used when using water from the tank. So how does your tank fill from city connection?
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis and Julie View Post
Guess I'm confused every rv we've owned has has a fresh water fill and a city water connection that are seperate and the pump is only used when using water from the tank. So how does your tank fill from city connection?
Both the pump and the city water are (necessarily) connected to the plumbing lines that go to your faucets. If the check-valve in the pump is bad, that common connection will allow water to flow backward thru the pump and into the tank. (And FYI, my RV doesn't have a gravity fill, but fills thru the city water connection after switching a valve.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Both the pump and the city water are (necessarily) connected to the plumbing lines that go to your faucets. If the check-valve in the pump is bad, that common connection will allow water to flow backward thru the pump and into the tank. (And FYI, my RV doesn't have a gravity fill, but fills thru the city water connection after switching a valve.)
Well so sorry I was confused.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I find a picture is worth a thousand words and may prevent hard feelings when being helpful is misinterpreted as condescension.

The check valves in the system are displayed in this graphic.

The only "error" in the graphic is the one way check valve between the pump and the fresh water tank is internal to the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	36555  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Sunseekers only have fresh water tank gravity fills standard, no pressure fill from the city water connection unless you install it yourself.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
If your TT looks like the setup in Herk's pic, you can't fill from city water. However, if you have a newer TT with a "winterizing" connection, you can, but not directly. On TT's with a winterizing connection, the connection Tee's in between the FW tank and the check valve in Herk's pic. There's a normally closed manual valve between the winterizing connection and the Tee. In addition, there is a normally open manual valve added between this new Tee and the FW tank. So when you winterize, you hook your antifreeze jug to the winterizing connection, open the winterizing valve and close the FW tank valve and your water pump pumps the antifreeze into your system.

Now, if you were to connect your camp water hose to the winterizing connection instead of the normal city water connection, then open the wintering valve AND the FW tank valve, you can backfill the FW tank with your City Water hose. IF you do this, do it slowly and make sure your FW tank vent is NOT obstructed. You should also open your gravity fill cap to provide a 2nd vent. You don't want to blow up your FW tank.

When I sanitize my FW tank and then to fill and drain it several times to rinse it out, I use this method.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #13

The water pump has a check valve to prevent water from back flowing into the water tank. Sunseekers are plumbed as previously posted graphic showed. It is not designed to be filled while connected to the city water source but it can happen with the failure of the check valve within the pump. It happened to me. I am dealing with the cleanup. The dealer would not replace because they could not replicate the issue. Dealt with FR directly and they authorized replacement. But as stated still dealing with water damage issues.
Cmitchell40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #14

Installing a fresh water tank fill from city water is very simple on the Sunseeker 3120. The cold water piping drain and the fresh water tank drain run about a foot from each other. You can tee in a 12" piece of pipe with valve and you're done. When you open the valve with city water pressure available you will backfill the fresh water tank through the fresh water tank drain line. Very simple and easy mod that I showed the FR engineer at the factory when I was out there.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #15

Just so we are clear, we have a Flagstaff V-Lite 30wfkss, on the side of the trailer we have 3 connections, city connection, winterizing connection and black tank flush, on the back of our trailer by the ladder we have a fresh water tank fill. Both of our previous trailers had seperate city and fresh water tank fills. I have not seen a trailer with the valve on the city water connection to fill the tank, since all our friends have a similar set up I was confused, but I am no longer.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Just so we are clear, we have a Flagstaff V-Lite 30wfkss, on the side of the trailer we have 3 connections, city connection, winterizing connection and black tank flush, on the back of our trailer by the ladder we have a fresh water tank fill. Both of our previous trailers had seperate city and fresh water tank fills. I have not seen a trailer with the valve on the city water connection to fill the tank, since all our friends have a similar set up I was confused, but I am no longer.

Not to confuse you again but there are some trailers that have no gravity fill for the fresh water tank, only a valve to fill the tank when connected to city water. My 2008 KZ MXT has such a setup. The only reason IMO for a gravity fill is to put in sanitizer (or maybe fill it with a bucket and funnel). It also provides a point for vandals to pour something in. With the MXT I just poured sanitizer into the hose before I hooked up.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #17

Thanks for info. I'll add a replacement water pump to my very long list. Sheesh.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
It also provides a point for vandals to pour something in.
That possibility has occurred to me & concerns me a bit. Especially since I store the unit in a storage lot. Does anybody have any clever ideas where you could tell if the gravity fill has been opened?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post

That possibility has occurred to me & concerns me a bit. Especially since I store the unit in a storage lot. Does anybody have any clever ideas where you could tell if the gravity fill has been opened?
Might be a way to put a locking cap or cover over it.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Denver, CO

small piece od transparent tape, or hair across the spigot, AKA James Bond...