Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #1

Issues with new 3170DS

So here is my dilemma, we purchased the coach last November. 2013 3170 DS. Very exited about our purchase. Since then we have used it once. Did not go out in the winter. First trip was last March. Issue number one: blown cooling unit from the factory! First major repair. Took it back and mentioned a few other things to the dealer, among these the rear view camera was making a "squelching" noise (for lack of a better word) only when the camera would automatically turn off after using the turn signal. No one can figure out what it is. So now we need a new "camera module box". Now the company that builds this is called Rear View Safety. They make it for FR. The dealer called FR and was told that since they don't make this they had to call the other company. This has proven easier said than done. We still have no answer. Can you feel my frustration building? I am starting to have second thoughts about FR. The problem is nobody wants to be accountable and take care of the problem, what a shame. In the meantime I am the one stuck with an 80,000 coach, that comes out of my pocket. Ay thoughts or ideas are welcome.
Cjhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 AM   #2

Mr. Peter J. Liegl
Pres & CEO
Forest River, Inc

Is the guy we wrote to about our Sept bought Sunseeker with many quality problems. I don't have the corporate address, but it should be readily available. He did have the Q/C manager call me to resolve some issues, Problem is our Sunseeker dealer was a major part of the problem and there is no other close. Pass me an email address and I can forward you a copy of the letter but its a generic griping letter with an attachment containing the issues. We've just returned from our first long trip and have a list to add.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
MI Camperz

For the life of me, I can't understand why FR delegates quality and repair issues to the mfgrs of the various components in the RVs they build. If the auto companies worked that way.........it would be mayhem.

Someone needs to put an end to this. Anyone interested in a letter writing campaign to a Senate hopeful?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #4

Geri, thanks I will write a letter to this person, my e-mail is cjhernandez120771@ yahoo.com.

Bodz, i am interested in signing a petition. I truly believe one of the biggest problems in this country had to to with accountability or the lack of. In the meantime this companies abuse the customer without control.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Easier said than done. Many suppliers (Lippert being one of them) requires that they handle the warranty. The other issue is everyone is so quick to compare RV mfg's to car manufactures, but fail to realize they should mainly be compared to home builders.

If your home builder puts a fridge into the house as part of the spec...do you want the home builder fixing the fridge or the fridge builder? My home came with warranty info and contacts for all the appliances. That is who I call if I have an issue.

Ford pretty much tells suppliers what they want built and its built to their specs. So they know how to trouble shoot it. FR will buy parts off the shelf and defer to the mfg's of those parts in many cases.

I'm not saying service and support can't be improved, we should certainly hold our suppliers accountable and demand better response.

But look at Magnadyne as an example, those who have had issues and gone direct to them get great expert advice from people that specialize in that device and from what I have seen get a pretty quick response.

We just have to realize that RV's are a hybrid product. It's a house built on a chassis. More realistic to compare them to other mfg's than other industries.

Not to trivialize the issue, but have you contacted RVS or are you waiting for your dealer to contact them? Could the dealer be the issue? Not a high priority concern?

A quick call to RVS may yield good results. 800.764.1028 Or maybe more of the same, but at least we'll know where the problem lies.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

The Dealer tried to contact them, i just got a call from my dealer about 30 minutes ago that they had reached them and the new part is on the way. Dealer was not the issue.

Listen i'm not comparing anything. My main concern, as a paying customer, is two major issues in less than 5 months, with only one 4 day trip. Second the accountability problem. How easy it seems to be to take my money, but when it comes to the service then is someone else problem. I have s huge problem with this on principle alone. How about instead of saying "the dealer is the problem" or " they make this, call them", saying " how can we help you", " let me make some calls" that all! Accountability, if I did that, in my line of work, i'd be out of work!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Commercial Member

I never said you compared anyone. My comparison comment was in response to bodzcampers who made a reference to automotive companies.

My comment about the dealer was simply that they are 75% of the user experience. I have been in many situations when the dealer is blaming FR, but when I get involved I have call logs etc where the dealer is not returning calls or sending info we request.

I do my best to help out when I can. I'm guessing there are a lot if forum members who would attest to that. I was simply trying to get a clearer picture of the situation and provide some insight to the inner workings. I for one am a guy that likes to understand the process. I prefer to handle things in my own so that I'm not waiting on others. That's just me. I understand not everyone is the same.

Dealer called, part is on the way. Looks like its all working out.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #8

It is and I do appreciate the input, this forum has always been incredibly helpful and your input is valuable. But i think you can understand my frustration and my concerns about these issues so soon. Thank you again for your help.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Love My Sunseeker

I've generally been pleased with FR. I've had LOTS of first year warranties on the FR RV's I've owned and generally always got stuff covered. Only had one case where I had to pay and request FR to reimburse. (Dealer wasn't set up with FR....)

In fact, I just found out that FR recorded the sale date for my 3170 wrong in their records (wrong month). The "incorrect" date actually benefits me. I was concerned that the "wrong" date would cause a problem somewhere else, so I pitched a fit and asked for the date to be corrected. I got told, "so you get a couple extra months warranty, oh well......"

Fine with me, if FR is ok with it....... I tried to be honest.....

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #10

Motorhome. Would that be like a home with a motor? Makes sense to me that you would contact the manufacturer of the various components/appliances for warranty issues. I have contacted Magnadyne twice for radio issues and got prompt service, including a replacement radio shipped overnight. Also go to my Chevy dealer, not Forest River, for warranty work on the engine or chassis.

Fortunately my dealer is over 300 miles away, so I haven't even tried the dealer for warranty issues. Dealing directly with Forest River where appropriate and manufacturers of components when needed, I have been pleased with the service. If others are having problems, make sure it is not the dealer that is the issue.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #11

Problem with this, RVBill, is that it first needed a new refrigerator, and now a new camera module box, so you can see how one is too big, and neither of them i have the expertise to install. So not going through the dealer does not apply in this case. They have actually been helpful. Fridge is done and the module box was sent.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

All Part of Rving

I had to replace a Precision Temp on my 2010 Newmar Dutchstar and it was just out of warranty. It cost me $3,250 for the unit, overnight shipping was $300.00 and labor $600.00. One front tire and an alignment was $1,300 and a faulty wiper control was $1,600. That's all part of RV's you can spend $50,000 or $350,000 and up $$$$$$$ for RV's and Motorhomes/coaches.

Go buy a 1.8 million dollar Prevost and the computer running all of your components costs over 50K. My friends is out of warranty can you imagine that repair bill? Everyone has stuff to deal with does not matter how small or large your RV is. We know there is going to be things to deal with just like owning a large boat.

Enjoy,

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #13

Thumbing through my material and ran across my Bigfoot warranty and it stated that I must call and register within 30 days of purchase. It has been 41 days. Played phone tag yesterday and will call Monday. I hope this was an oversight by dealer however,I do expect my dealer to at least be a liaison between me and the various manufactures. I am now wondering just what a 1 year warranty means on the coach. Is the leveling system covered? Am I missing something else that will possibly bite.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
Commercial Member

The levelers have their own warranty from Bigfoot. Just like a house some of the equipment in it, will have a longer warranty provided by that mfg.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The levelers have their own warranty from Bigfoot. Just like a house some of the equipment in it, will have a longer warranty provided by that mfg.
I guess I am a little concerned that Bigfoot will not warrant my leveling system as I am past the 30 days. Hope Bigfoot will understand.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Commercial Member

They're a solid company. You won't have anything to worry about. You registered the vehicle. If you ever had any issues it would default back to that.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #17

2013 Forester #3051S

I went through all of manuals and information supplied by Forest River. I don't remember seeing a warranty card to send in for Big Foot. So, I am in the same boat as others. But, I also did not do this for Dometic, Frigidaire or any other component. If the RV comes with a one year warranty then I do not expect a problem if repairs are required. My sales invoice can be used as a starting date for warranty items.

BTW....does Ford know I purchased a new E450? I sent nothing to the Ford Motors Company.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1174437209.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	32613

No time limit so figured I had plenty of time. In the back of my Bigfoot manual was the info. The manual statement made me call.
Good question on the chassis. I currently have a power port that does not work, wonder who fixes. No big deal though. Might make a good warranty test with ford.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Chassis is Ford. They don't let anyone touch it.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Love My Sunseeker

All of my RV's have been Ford Chassis. I've had warranty issues on chassis, and Ford covered it. Minor, like the A/C switch didn't work and it was 90 degrees out....

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote