Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #1

Jeep Dinghy

Want to pull a Jeep behind my 2012 Sunseeker 2450S. Curious how much of a lift, if any, the Jeep can have and still work as a dinghy. Not sure how the connections work from the Jeep to the Sunseeker.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-22-2015, 04:16 AM   #2

The tow bar manufacturers state the allowable difference between the motorhome hitch height and the height of the connection on the towed vehicle for each style of towbar.

Measure the centerline height of your coach's hitch, the height of your Jeep's bumper, and call the tow bar manufacturer. The manufacturer should know the height of his brackets compared to your bumper and can figure the net difference.

If the height difference is too much, they may allow a dropped or raised drawbar to be used with the towbar.

As an example, in our case, the allowable height difference is 3 inches.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Average Joe

I had to add a 4" riser from Blue Ox to align my non-lifted Explorer.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

We have no riser and no drop for our "motorhome-mounted" Roadmaster on a 4wd Pathfinder, and the tow bar is nearly level. The bracket design has a lot to do with the height of the tow bar at the towed vehicle.

I'd highly recommend a motorhome-mounted tow bar. There is a lot of angular movement with the hitch so far behind the motorhome's rear axle and I'd worry about a coupled tow bar popping off a hitch ball.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #5

Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSunseeker View Post
Want to pull a Jeep behind my 2012 Sunseeker 2450S. Curious how much of a lift, if any, the Jeep can have and still work as a dinghy. Not sure how the connections work from the Jeep to the Sunseeker.

Do you already have the jeep? We put the blux ox plate on a stock 14 JK with no problem on the hight differential with the blue ox tow bar. How much lift are you after?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

The receiver on my 3100SS is really low compared to our old Coachman. We pull a 2008 wrangler with only about 2 inches total lift (1 5/8 leveling kit and larger tires). Blue Ox receiver mounted tow bar to Blue Ox base plate is just about level using a 4 inch riser. If the Jeep got bigger I'd need a bigger riser....
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:05 PM   #7

Haven't bought the Jeep yet. If I lift it I would probably go with 2.5-3" and bigger tires.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:01 AM   #8

I have a Jeep TJ with 31" tires and no lift. I use the ready brute tow bar mounted to an aftermarket bumper. On my Sunseeker 3170ds I needed a Roadmaster High-Low 8" Hitch Adapter. It's not a big deal, and it tows fine, it is just another piece to add to the mix, and another potential problem. If I had to do it again, I would buy the a base plate kit that mounted under the bumper.

On my previous Four Winds it was level without any riser.

I also would recommend looking into the ready brute tow bar. It has a built in braking system that is simple to install and hook up. As far as base plates and risers, e-trailer.com has the best prices I found.
lowreyfarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

Ok. We finally did it. We purchased a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Leaning towards the Blue OC with the AutoStop surge braking system or the Ready Brute with Ready Brake system.