Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #11

franco

You are pulling 4,400 lb dry curb weight.
If you are getting bucking I'd really look at the aux brake system and how it is wired up.
Is this the first time you have ever pulled it?
Why don't you try it without the aux brake control hooked up.
This should tell you it is the brake controller or it is not.
Just unplug and see if the same bucking happens.
Just a test.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
franco

You are pulling 4,400 lb dry curb weight.
If you are getting bucking I'd really look at the aux brake system and how it is wired up.
Is this the first time you have ever pulled it?
Why don't you try it without the aux brake control hooked up.
This should tell you it is the brake controller or it is not.
Just unplug and see if the same bucking happens.
Just a test.
Hi Iggy - Yesterday we unplugged the aux brake system. It is definitely the cause of the problem. I spoke today to Blue Ox and we think part of the problem is the aux brake is not snug enough. I will try to lower the seat and raise the plate on the back of the controller so that the controller is being pushed by the cushion of the seat. Right now it is partly pushed by the seat and partly by the plastic facia below the seat.

The whole controller set-up, so lights, tow bracket, tow arm, and aux brake controller was more like $2200. We gave serious thought to dolly, but in the end didn't want to have to deal with unhooking the dolly. Maybe that was a bad call. We also felt in the end it was more weight.

What bugs me, to be honest, is that the best brake controller one could use is the one Ford integrates in the Ford E450 as an option. I could easily add that and have the brake signal on the 7 pin drive to an aux brake controller on the TOAD. But when I searched I didn't find a TOAD aux brake system that would take this input. Maybe I missed it. The whole thing seems odd to me honestly. Why not take input from the Ford brake controller that knows vehicle speed and can do the best job? I must be missing something obvious here. At the very least, an aux brake controller could use brake off status from the Ford brake controller to not allow the aux brake controller to engage.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofranco View Post
Garrette,
After the trip home we are thinking a lot may be due to the Blue Ox braking system. That's my call of the morning. I'll post how that goes.
We were in the mountains and mileage was 6.73/gallon....crazy!
Ofranco,
Thank you. Yikes. 2mpg for the toad. Keep an eye for your mpg on the flat. Trying decide to buy a small car or rent.

Just thinking about your toad.. Have you called blue ox? Bet they have heard it all.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofranco View Post
Hi Iggy - Yesterday we unplugged the aux brake system. It is definitely the cause of the problem. I spoke today to Blue Ox and we think part of the problem is the aux brake is not snug enough. I will try to lower the seat and raise the plate on the back of the controller so that the controller is being pushed by the cushion of the seat. Right now it is partly pushed by the seat and partly by the plastic facia below the seat.

The whole controller set-up, so lights, tow bracket, tow arm, and aux brake controller was more like $2200. We gave serious thought to dolly, but in the end didn't want to have to deal with unhooking the dolly. Maybe that was a bad call. We also felt in the end it was more weight.

What bugs me, to be honest, is that the best brake controller one could use is the one Ford integrates in the Ford E450 as an option. I could easily add that and have the brake signal on the 7 pin drive to an aux brake controller on the TOAD. But when I searched I didn't find a TOAD aux brake system that would take this input. Maybe I missed it. The whole thing seems odd to me honestly. Why not take input from the Ford brake controller that knows vehicle speed and can do the best job? I must be missing something obvious here. At the very least, an aux brake controller could use brake off status from the Ford brake controller to not allow the aux brake controller to engage.

You made a good call if you are pulling a 4400 pound vehicle dry weight because you probably couldn't use a dolly (mine weighs 600 lbs) without exceeding the tow limit and possibly the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #15

Lowering seat and raising backplate of BlueOx aux brake controller helped. The unit moves less and now the bumps do not cause the brake to trigger with a gain of 3.