Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #1

Just ordered a Sunseeker 3170DS

We are excited, but.... We were told by the dealer it would take 10 weeks. We were then asked to give in our trades (truck and trailer) which make up almost the value of the Sunseeker. I am concerned given up so much value 10 weeks prior to receiving our new RV. Does anyone have experience order a new RV - is 10 weeks an accurate time? Has the factory ever been late? My concern is that we will be without our current RV for so long and have reservations in May. Just not comfortable basically paying so much up front.
colestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

It took me maybe three wks for mind.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

Ordered mine in July and is was ready in Oct. Was about 10 weeks. I also had the full body paint which added a little time to the process.
dpkelly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colestat View Post
We are excited, but.... We were told by the dealer it would take 10 weeks. We were then asked to give in our trades (truck and trailer) which make up almost the value of the Sunseeker. I am concerned given up so much value 10 weeks prior to receiving our new RV. Does anyone have experience order a new RV - is 10 weeks an accurate time? Has the factory ever been late? My concern is that we will be without our current RV for so long and have reservations in May. Just not comfortable basically paying so much up front.
Essentially, they are asking you to pay the full cost of the new unit up front. Did you give them a cash down payment? Was it what they asked for to place the order? Was "turning in the truck and tt" part of the discussion? I didn't think so!

What I suspect they are trying to do is get your unit in, turn it quickly (maybe they already have a prospect for it?) and get their money quickly. And I can't say that I blame them, but if that wasn't part of the deal, they are changing the rules on you.

I would do this: Ask what's in it for you. Maybe not any cash discount or reduction in price, but there is always something you'll need with a new unit. Ask them to throw in some "freebies" in exchange for doing them a favor by giving up your old unit early. Also, pick a date - maybe 12 weeks out instead of 10 - and tell them that if your new unit isn't in by then, you either get your old unit back for your first camping trip(s) of the season or, if yours is sold and gone, they provide you a loaner to use until your new unit comes in. Never hurts to ask. They obviously want your trade-in to try to sell it early. They can always say no, but so, too, can you.

Good luck...and congratulations on the new Sunseeker.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

So if you give them the truck do you have something else to drive? IMHO if you give them both right away it really gives them the upper hand.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colestat View Post
You should be concerned as you would essentially be almost totally paying for the unit up front. What if they go out of business or declare bankruptcy before the unit comes in? Not real likely but I have heard of things like that happening. If they won't give you something to sweeten the deal that you feel is worth the risk I mentioned above then they should buy your unit for the value they are giving you in trade plus any sales tax credit you would be getting in the deal if they want it early.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

I wouldn't give them anymore then 20% down - this is the typical fee to order a new unit. I would suggest you NOT turn over all the equity the dealer before delivery, what would happen if they folded?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Our dealer just wanted 1000 dollars down to order our Sunseeker.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #9

Wow - Thank you for all the wonderful advice. I knew it did not feel right, but I had not considered if they folded.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #10

Yeah - We have come up with a solution that works for all of us. We are going to buy the show unit on his lot. They are going to add a couple items we wanted like the fantastic fan, mattress and swivel seat and the unit will be ready for us to pick up in two weeks. Only compromise we had to make was not getting the interior color we would have if we had ordered one. But getting the RV 2 weeks instead of 10 was worth it!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #11

You always keep the trade until the vehicle comes in then you swap them and leave with the new!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Plain Old Member

We've done it both ways. Depends on how I felt. The dealer I trusted and personally knew the people, I left the unit with them and waited for the new one. With my luck, I'm always worried the trade will be involved in an accident prior to new one coming in. Hey, it happens, then trade ain't worth so much and you're stuck, or could be. Others we've held on to to keep on camping, and were very careful, or tried to be. One of them, I was a few days from bringing it in since the new one had arrived. We pulled it out of the shop with it still plugged in. Ripped the marinco assembly and a little wiring out of the side wall. Luckily, the fiberglass wasn't damaged and I had a spare assembly. Fixed it real quick and wiped the sweat off. Like I said, my luck sometimes. On average, we've got the ordered ones in 8 weeks. We recently have bought off of the lot. I just liked being able to really look it over before ever mentioning buying it.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

Ordered mine in May 2012, got it in October 2012. Customs take awhile. I had to give an estimate of what the mileage of the trade in would be by the time I got it, and I tried to estimate high but I went 400 miles over so dealer charged me a small amount for that.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #14

I only put $1,000, down, and they told me 6 weeks or so to build my 3010. I'm trading in my Sunseeker 2900, don't have to bring it until my new one arrives. They made the deal on my trade w/o even looking at it. There is only around 8700 miles on it, maybe that's why they didn't want to see it. It's all cleaned out, ready to go. Can't wait to get my new rig. Planning on camping the 1st week in April to break it in!
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #15

Smile

We ordered our 2860 29 Sept and it was ready for the demo 10 Dec.
We did 5th wheel trade in and did not pick it up till 5 Jan due to our truck having maintenace.

We put $6200 down and the balance paid on 8 Dec.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote