Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #11

Thanks for the pics. Really clean setup. Do you have a feel for mpg increase, if any? I am planning on the 5 star tune. Hate the shift points. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #12

Oh, depending how you drive it, I'd say I'm seeing an extra 1-1.5 mpg I know you can buy a lot of gas for the investment of it all but it sure opens up that motor and responds a lot better now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

Before converting to K&N, read the following report. You may change your mind.

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #14

I disagree that OEM is better!

First off the whole OEM intake system is so constrictive to air flow. Small openings, many bends, and then a small paper filter. My new Rv had 3000 miles after a trip and it was dirty. I tossed it and could have easily spent $20 on another and went on my merry way.

A nice intake has larger intake tubes, minimum bends and gets that filter seeing more natural air. You step on the gas and you can hear them sucking in more air!

Now the problem w an oiled filter is that if you over oil it after cleaning you can foul your Mass Air Sensor and it will read wrong, thus telling the ECU improper fuel/air mixture. That's the only drawback to oiled filters Do proper maintenance and clean the MAS from time to time and all is well.

I've tossed everyone of my OEM intakes on my last 5-6 vehicles and went to aftermarket. Because they work

Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #15

K & N lets more air through, as well as dirt. No thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #16

So Outlaw7 I think the point of the article was strictly about filter performance when considering the amount of particulate captured versus resistance to air flow. Not the whole kit as such DOES help Dramatically. The issue then becomes what is happening to all the dirt the filter lets in.

More research is needed...
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #17

I realize there are going to be people 'For and Against' these things. I'm just a performance minded guy and have always did the air intakes/ exhaust, and chipped. IMO doing all these things unleashes the engines performance
I change oil every 3000 ( and it's clean ) and I only wash the filter maybe once a year.

Everyone can do whatever, read whatever, but this is what works for me. To each their own.
I just like my stuff to run nice. But that's just me.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #18

I have used the K & N on all my trucks , cars, motor homes. Have 275,000 on my Duramax , change the oil every 10,000 miles and clean the filter and re-oil it at the same time, The engine runs perfect still, and has never used a drop of oil, The engineering/ flow tests that we did on them show a much better air flow and when the filter is clean and oiled properly is catches the same amount of dust and dirt as the OEM filters do.