Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Keeping the sun out

Many times we end up with sunrise in our bedroom, or huge lights located at the rear end of our Sunseeker when camping. Right now there are dark colored towels hung over the window shades with clamps. Has anyone been able to come up with a way to block out the sun without replacing the shades themselves? I may end up just adding Velcro to the valences and hanging black material on each window unless I can find a better way. Any suggestions will be helpful and appreciated.
Howy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

Card board cut out then pull the blind over it.
ahgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Always Learning

We cut Reflectix (foil insulation) to size and press it into the window. No need to secure it, it just stays in with friction. Easy to pull out when you do want to see out or open the windows.

Plus it helps with heat transfer keeping the room cooler or warmer, depending on time of year.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We cut Reflectix (foil insulation) to size and press it into the window. No need to secure it, it just stays in with friction. Easy to pull out when you do want to see out or open the windows.

Plus it helps with heat transfer keeping the room cooler or warmer, depending on time of year.
X2. I did this for storage and roll them up when done. The shades hold them in and I cut holes for the window cranks to hold them up.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #5

DW picked up some blackout curtains from Walmart and expansion rods. She cut the curtains to window sizes and mounted with the rods just behind the valences. Also cut Reflectix to fit in skylights, helps with light and heat. Really keeps it dark inside. We also leave the blackout curtains up while in storage to keep sun and heat out.Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	217593

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	217594
UpstateTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:

X3 ... we slide them behind the blinds at the top and let them rest on the window cranks at the bottom, ...even use them on the doors by sliding them into the groove of the screen doors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0462.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	217595   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0466.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	217596   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0467.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	217597  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #7

I put awnings at all the side Windows on our class C. Not only does it stop the direct sun light in, it also helps with cooling on hot summer days. I can get it to 72/74 during the day no matter how hot out side and that's a 13500 AC. White exterior helps Also.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I put awnings at all the side Windows on our class C. Not only does it stop the direct sun light in, it also helps with cooling on hot summer days. I can get it to 72/74 during the day no matter how hot out side and that's a 13500 AC. White exterior helps Also.

What awnings did you use? Did you self install? I was thinking of doing that but I don’t know where to start. Do you have a link to the company that you bought Th e awnings from?
Old 10-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:

X2
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #10

Reflectix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
X3 ... we slide them behind the blinds at the top and let them rest on the window cranks at the bottom, ...even use them on the doors by sliding them into the groove of the screen doors
X4
Old 10-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howy2015 View Post
Many times we end up with sunrise in our bedroom, or huge lights located at the rear end of our Sunseeker when camping. Right now there are dark colored towels hung over the window shades with clamps. Has anyone been able to come up with a way to block out the sun without replacing the shades themselves? I may end up just adding Velcro to the valences and hanging black material on each window unless I can find a better way. Any suggestions will be helpful and appreciated.
When we first bought our Windjammer, on the first outing, one of those string shades broke a cord. It was replaced under warranty. Then, a few years ago, I had another one of those string shades break and replaced it with a cordless top down/bottom up light filtering blind (shade). This was in the dining area of our Windjammer. This week, I finished replacing most of the shades in our WJ with either top down/bottom up or just bottom up cordless blinds. When I started to measure to replace some of them, which were cut to width shades, the length was a bit long for some of the windows, so we went to the custom-cut-to-fit for the shorter windows. For the bedroom, we used a blackout shade (as I recall, it was about $140) and it is well worth it. I had to modify the valance mounts (about $4.00 worth of hardware), but, they came out great and the shades are very easy to move up and down. Best of all, no more broken strings and drooping shades! Even as I replaced a couple of the "good" ones, I noticed those strings were fraying and getting ready to break. They had been such a pain. Now the shades work easily, and block or filter the light as needed. Got them from Home Depot. Don't always trust the color on line. Go into the store and look at them in person. We settled on the "Biscotti" color for most of the shades to fit our decor. And, yes, it sure beats taping something to the window or wrangling with those side cords. Take your time and measure everything. One thing I did find is that I had to shim out the new shade mounts about 1/4" to clear the window (used a piece of lattice wood) but, other than that, the new blinds were able to be installed with a perfect fit. And the black out shade really blacks out the room. An advantage to that is at night you don't get unwanted "shadows" on your shades from the interior lights that can be seen from outside. Made me ask myself why I hadn't done the replacement earlier.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #12

Buy a roll of the bubble wrap with the silver mylar on it. It is cheap and effective. It has great insulating ability as well as light blocking ability.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFAMof6 View Post
What awnings did you use? Did you self install? I was thinking of doing that but I don’t know where to start. Do you have a link to the company that you bought Th e awnings from?
You may/may Not like but I had them installed in one morning at the local Camping World. They were on sale and so was the labor. Happy with the way they were done. I could have done it myself but time wasn't on my side.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:08 AM   #14

Ditto on the Reflectix. Super easy to cut, inexpensive and makes my camper so dark inside during the day that I have to turn lights on inside when I have the Reflectix in each window. I leave it in the windows at all times while the camper is at home and not in use. It really does cut down on the heat inside the camper although it is rather cave-like during the day so I remove it from the windows when I'm using the TT.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:13 AM   #15

I use reflectix in some of the windows. I also use white foamcore boards cut to size( available at art /office supply stores.) I usually store them in the overhead bunk during the day or if not in use. They are great for insulation purposes and the white color looks better than looking at silver reflectix.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #16

No solution will ever work to keep the sun out of yoru camper..............

You bought a SUNSEEKER................it was born to do that

You need a different camper
Old 10-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #17
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
p the sun out of yoru camper..............

You bought a SUNSEEKER................it was born to do that
+1

My thoughts exactly!
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #18

as has been claimed, Reflectix is ideal for sum blocking, and we do use it that way when needed(post 6), but our initial use of it was for night time privacy, ... with a piece of Reflectix covering every window, from the outside, it is almost impossible to tell that there is any light on inside, ... we began that practice with the Casita, then the 21 DS, and now with the 25 KS, ... when it's getting dark outside, its time for the Reflectix, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #19

Put this on and you will need to turn on lights to see in bedroom! Pitch black!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
sunseeker