Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #1

"Kids Zone" in Sunseeker 3170ds

The Sunseeker 3170ds has a "Kids Zone" where there is a bunk bed and a folding couch with a small TV and DVD player. Is there a way to hookup an Xbox 360 and play it while on the road? I do see the AV connections in the under cabinet, however I found it strange that there isn't a 12V cigarette outlet so you can power the Xbox while driving. I also have a converter that converts 12V power into regular 120V power. Does anyone know how to do this? All I need is a way to power a gaming console in the "Kids Zone" while driving. thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405082345.181118.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	786.0 KB
ID:	57920Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405082363.125892.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	858.8 KB
ID:	57921Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405082378.197232.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	892.3 KB
ID:	57922
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

1. run the generator..
2. Wire a 12v outlet. The problem with us providing a 12v outlet is what size??? I know that with the playstation 2, we could plug a little inverter into a cigarette lighter and it worked fine. When we tried the same with the Playstation 3 it would not work because it drew too much power.

What I would do is run a line straight to the battery under the step well and punch it up into a 12V outlet in the cabinet below the kids zone. Or I would run the ten in these situations.

3. The 12V TV plugs into a 12V outlet. The 12V DVD player is fed with 12v, maybe you can splice into that. Again, my concern would be if there is enough power.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hooking up an invertor to a 12v line shouldn't be an issue. Your best bet would be to run a separate line (with fuse) from the batteries to the invertor and then use that to power the xbox.

My concern is your statement "while driving". Is this an approved travel seat, with seat belts? I thought most motorhomes only provided seat belts up near the cab. I wouldn't recommend bothering to hook up an xbox back there if you can't legally travel with the kids back there.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Commercial Member

We (Forest River) added (2) seat belts back to that kids zone sofa a year or so back. Exclusive to us (hooray) since we're the only ones that do a jackknife sofa in place of a "bunk only" arrangement. He's good to go.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Alright, just wanted to be sure. I've heard too many horror stories of people letting their family roam free in a motorhome. Even worse, I've heard the odd one about trailers too.

But, back to question on hand, considering the power draw of an invertor, the OP will want to consider my suggestion of installing a dedicated line from the batteries to the the invertor. It's pretty much the only safe way to ensure you're not overloading any other circuits as we don't know how many amps his invertor will end up drawing.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #6

We have a Wii back there and its great! We won't hear a complaint from them until meal time. Our 2011 didn't have seat belts in the kids zone from the factory. Amazon to the rescue...drill, grade 8 carriage bolts, and 3 seat belts!

I tapped into the 12v supply line that powers the TV & DVD player (remove panel in lower compartment) and installed a 12v aux outlet. Then I lucked out... The Wii takes 12v DC in...so back to Amazon, bought a cheap china Wii power cord, cut off the transformer, and simply installed a 12v car plug. No inverter needed!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #7

Can you add the seat belts to the kids zone ? I have a 13' and I don't have the belts. FWIW the Xbox is a power hog and does not like to be in a closed cabinet when running.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
Commercial Member

There was no backer in there for seat belts originally. We ended up adding it sometime on the 14's to add some flexibility to that floor plan.

I'm sure people have added them, but they would not pass any safety testing.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #9

"Kids Zone" in Sunseeker 3170ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
...I'm sure people have added them, but they would not pass any safety testing.

I'm assuming you meant "haven't passed a safety testing." It wasn't an offered option back in 2011 from the factory, so it would be understandable to anyone adding this afterwards that it hasn't undergone NHTSA testing/approval.

However, making a statement that "none" would pass doesn't sound quite right as Forest River found a way to do it in 2014 as you say.

I used all NHTSA tested parts and approved installation methods back in 2011 when we got the coach. My concern was never the seat belts or parts used, but the idea that they are secured to a moving slide. After reviewing the installation of the factory installed seat belts in the couch (in a slide also) my confidence was quenched. This option was a must for us and our dealer was more than willing to install it. At the end of the day I trust my engineering skills, experience, and common sense more than a part-time RV tech that doesn't own what he's working on (or even an RV for that matter). There I go making general sweeping statements, sorry bout that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405476372.068075.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	847.9 KB
ID:	58269Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405476399.245639.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	783.6 KB
ID:	58270Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405476419.335839.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	777.5 KB
ID:	58271
Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

DMezzoprete here's a pic of my 12volt aux outlet install:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405477095.552771.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	849.9 KB
ID:	58274
Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #11

Instead of running 12 volts from the battery you may have a spare fuse in the power distribution panel. It will be closer and you would already have a fuse. Would be a neater job.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Let me rephrase that. It would not pass a 5,000lbs pull test as it was built back then.

Yes, we did find a way to add the seat belts back there, but that required us adding backer and more framing inside of the slide floor. Just bolting through the slide floor was not going to pass.

Personally, seat belts in the living area of RV's to me are just the "politically correct" thing to do. Frankly rear facing seat belts, side seat belts etc I think are just to make some people seem safer. Back in the day we would all ride in the back of trucks, ride in the truck camper laying in the overhead bunk looking out the windows (front and side), we never had seat belts.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #13

Thank you all for your help! I'm not great as an electrician so I'm just going to take it to a dealer and have them install a 12V outlet.
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, sunseeker