Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Knife holder project

We had an aftermarket knife holder that I had mounted on the inside of a door under the sink in our old Four Winds. However, we didn't have sufficient room on the door in the new Sunseeker, so we pondered what we should do with the kitchen knives. Here's the result:

Project under pressure:

Test fit:

Finished product:
Old 09-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

Our knife holder. MBS 2400WS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473539318649.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	119882  
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Our knife holder. MBS 2400WS
Watch out. They might get hot if the oven is on. It vents up the back side.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
Chief tinkerer

Nice job Bruce! Sherman, your knives are better behaved than ours, all nice and neat. Ours are like.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1473604739427.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	119920  

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
Watch out. They might get hot if the oven is on. It vents up the back side.
Actually this is where Forest River had the factory installed knife holder placed. They had four slots placed vertically from how I place them. I have to presume their designers and engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the Sunseeker so I am not too worried about the J A Henkels being damaged in any way.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Who uses the oven anyway?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #7

So... how do you access the knives when the stove cover is open? Are the slots different sizes to accommodate the variety of your knives?

It's my opinion those slots are there purely for ventilation when using the oven, though I've seen several folks post where they use these slots for knives. If I recall correctly, our 2016 2250 has only 5 slots, and they are all the same size - about an inch long by 3/16" wide.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Knife holder project

Gidyup, that's what ours looks like. All floppy and kinda noisy.

Ours get warm from the hot water heater but not dangerously so. We have a microwave/convection oven up high, almost over my head actually, I guess so I can dump hot soup on my head.
I know I know! the designers are doing the best they can with the limited space. There's a hot water heater and a drawer under the stovetop.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
So... how do you access the knives when the stove cover is open? Are the slots different sizes to accommodate the variety of your knives?

It's my opinion those slots are there purely for ventilation when using the oven, though I've seen several folks post where they use these slots for knives. If I recall correctly, our 2016 2250 has only 5 slots, and they are all the same size - about an inch long by 3/16" wide.
I picked up a 3' piece of 1/4 x 3 poplar from Home Depot. I also ordered a 3/16" plunge router bit from Amazon.com. I then ripped it to the same width as the existing piece of trim and cut it to the same length. After drawing a center line the entire length of the of the wood, I laid out the knife slots and spacing so they would fit. My knives sit on an angle so I had to leave extra room on the right hand side so they would fit properly. After I had the slots marked, I put the router bit in my router table and set the rip fence so I would be cutting the slots along the center line. I then proceeded to cut the slots in the wood. After that was done, I used a round over bit to put a rounded edge on the front and sides.

Once I test installed the wood and knives, I found that the knives rocked forward and back more than I wanted them to, so I added a strips of wood underneath to keep the knives somewhat vertical.

In reality, there is more venting area now than there was with the original 5 slots, so I am not too worried about heat being trapped.

As far as removing the knives with the stove top cover in the up position. I just lean the cover forward a bit so I can pull a knife out. We rarely need to do that though because we plan our meals, cut any meats or vegetables that we will be cooking, and set our dinner table prior to actually doing any cooking.

We actually will rarely use the oven for anything other than biscuits or cookies unless we are dry camping due to the fact that we also have a Micro/Convection combo oven and a generator.

The oven sure does make a good place to store bread and burger buns!

Sherman
Old 09-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #10

Cool! Rather than trying to use the existing 5 slot vent, you went to the effort to better utilize that space. I like it!

Having the knives at an angle helps reduce the rattle factor as well. I'm always chasing rattles. My wife is nearly deaf, and even with the hearing aids, she's always replying "what rattle? I don't hear anything!". Yea, she doesn't hear me 90% of the time either....

Looking good!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #11

Bought it on Amazon. Never have fallen eve on roughest road
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1473720361872.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	120041  
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Cool! Rather than trying to use the existing 5 slot vent, you went to the effort to better utilize that space. I like it!

Having the knives at an angle helps reduce the rattle factor as well. I'm always chasing rattles. My wife is nearly deaf, and even with the hearing aids, she's always replying "what rattle? I don't hear anything!". Yea, she doesn't hear me 90% of the time either....

Looking good!

Lol. That made me think of Christmas Vacation. Sorry. Back on track

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
Bought it on Amazon. Never have fallen eve on roughest road
That looks like a workable solution as well. Though... I'd still have visions of one of those flying forward towards us if I tromp on the brakes.... Yowsa!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
That looks like a workable solution as well. Though... I'd still have visions of one of those flying forward towards us if I tromp on the brakes.... Yowsa!
I guess the stomping of the brakes would really be based on how well you like the person in the passenger seat. Should anything dastardly happen, you could always blame the braking on that large animal you thought you saw running out in front of you.

On a more serious note, they are serrated knives and have to be lifted straight out, they are sorta wedged in by the weight of the handles when sitting in the knife rack.